Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Jun 23, 2022 at 1:05 AM Post #4,216 of 5,996
I have to disagree here. I have both the Hypsos/Oor and the A90.

Yes there is a noticeable difference between the combos. But, i still get a fairly good sound signature from my A90 even on my Susvara. It just doesn’t hit as hard and it’s not bad on the stealth either after trying a pair on them yesterday.
Yet you use the hypsos on the OOR. Which brings my point that psu is very important. Otherwise you would use the stock psu.

Hypsos psu isn't that great either so...I can understand your impressions but what you said isn't conclusive at all.

The small delta you hear between the two also shows it's not all about the amp. The rest of the chain is a bigger factor. Granted, it is also within expectation that the delta is small too between amps to a certain extent. Because one should be focusing on the rest of the chain than obsessing on what amp to use to drive low distortion HPs like the Susvara and the Stealth. And my comment is to debunk that going towards such a trajectory would be sterile. When done properly, it will be smooth and glorious and Topping shouldn't be an example of a good amp due to the weak sauce psu in it.

So you have to make a stand...is there really a noticeable difference with the hypsoor vs the a90 or there isn't?

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2022 at 1:08 AM Post #4,217 of 5,996
He has no qualifications to make the claims he’s making. He can’t accept some people just don’t like the sound signature. We have different ears and hear things differently. Also we have different preferences. Instead of the “more power” argument it’s now “clean” with no metrics.
Enough 'qualifications' to get sweet sweet bass vs the "experts" and YouTube University. It's so funny ppl are upset with someone unleashing the potential of the Stealth with a 400mw amp.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2022 at 1:44 AM Post #4,218 of 5,996
Even if you could create the tonal performance with an open back....what you can't do is the space/room...that gets lost 😉

NOMAX

PS.and what do you need for a separation?..a room
Separation is via really good timing and speed. This requires really good psus especially on the transport and dac end for the clocks to be accurate enough to render the room in the recording.

But yes, once you lose the room, there's no way to get it back faithfully. At best, one can do a cheap emulation of such with tubes, hence it's popularity as long as one hasn't heard any better and know what they are missing.

Jun 23, 2022 at 1:55 AM Post #4,219 of 5,996
If you think nested feedback and negative feedback is the same thing...that's not on me, mate.
Nested feedback is just one way of implementing it. It's the actual implementation that matters, as emphasized in the video. But I'm getting the feeling you haven't got a clue on what you are talking about.

Jun 23, 2022 at 5:40 AM Post #4,221 of 5,996
Just to share my experience, I purchased DCA Stealth with nice exhibition discount. After two weeks I'm returning them. I was comparing against Hifiman Ananda and Hifiman Arya (also Stealth:wink:). It's technically very impressive model with great comfort and perfect look and feel. Sounds like listening in anechoic chamber, as some people already wrote here. Bass is very good and the rest of the spectrum is really neutral, maybe little too polite to my taste. For example, any recording where my speakers and other headphones presents sibilance in vocals, it's not there with Stealth. Also, intelligibility of vocals is worse than on Hifimans. The main reason for the return is that I prefer the very open sound of Ananda which for me is still the best of those three. I know, it sounds like heresy, but that's my taste and my ears.

For the reference, I currently play mainly from QOBUZ / ROON / PI2AES / Hugo TT2 (alternatively Yggdrasil A2 + SMSL SH-9).

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2022 at 7:14 AM Post #4,222 of 5,996
Just to share my experience, I purchased DCA Stealth with nice exhibition discount. After two weeks I'm returning them. I was comparing against Hifiman Ananda and Hifiman Arya (also Stealth:wink:). It's technically very impressive model with great comfort and perfect look and feel. Sounds like listening in anechoic chamber, as some people already wrote here. Bass is very good and the rest of the spectrum is really neutral, maybe little too polite to my taste. For example, any recording where my speakers and other headphones presents hiss in vocals, it's not there with Stealth. Also, intelligibility of vocals is worse than on Hifimans. The main reason for the return is that I prefer the very open sound of Ananda which for me is still the best of those three. I know, it sounds like heresy, but that's my taste and my ears.

For the reference, I currently play mainly from QOBUZ / ROON / PI2AES / Hugo TT2 (alternatively Yggdrasil A2 + SMSL SH-9).
Nice little write up dude.
Appreciate your take and comparison on the headphones.

Just because certain aspects of them don't appeal to you dosent mean your opinion is heresy!
As long as you approach your conclusion in logical and positive manner and you are happy that's all that matters!

Enjoy your other headphones and continue your search for aural perfection!

Jun 23, 2022 at 12:25 PM Post #4,223 of 5,996
Yet you use the hypsos on the OOR. Which brings my point that psu is very important. Otherwise you would use the stock psu.

Hypsos psu isn't that great either so...I can understand your impressions but what you said isn't conclusive at all.

The small delta you hear between the two also shows it's not all about the amp. The rest of the chain is a bigger factor. Granted, it is also within expectation that the delta is small too between amps to a certain extent. Because one should be focusing on the rest of the chain than obsessing on what amp to use to drive low distortion HPs like the Susvara and the Stealth. And my comment is to debunk that going towards such a trajectory would be sterile. When done properly, it will be smooth and glorious and Topping shouldn't be an example of a good amp due to the weak sauce psu in it.

So you have to make a stand...is there really a noticeable difference with the hypsoor vs the a90 or there isn't?

What do you consider bad about the Hypsos and what is a PSU you consider good?

Jun 23, 2022 at 12:29 PM Post #4,224 of 5,996
What do you consider bad about the Hypsos and what is a PSU you consider good?
Poor blacks, hazy, lacks smoothness. I've upgraded internals and DC cable to silver occ, which helps but still lacking. It is also very poor in handling devices that doesn't draw steady power and takes 15 mins to settle.

Ifi elite is one of the best for me. If ur handy, take out the ferrite.

Jun 23, 2022 at 7:37 PM Post #4,225 of 5,996
We need a way to measure the "torque" of an amp, not just the power. One of the least powerful amps I have here is excellent with the Stealth -- the Studio Six.

Jun 23, 2022 at 7:42 PM Post #4,226 of 5,996
We need a way to measure the "torque" of an amp, not just the power. One of the least powerful amps I have here is excellent with the Stealth -- the Studio Six.
Ask the manufacturer to provide power output at 32, 16, 8, 4 and 2 ohms. If it doesn’t double down each time it doesn’t have enough “torque”

Jun 23, 2022 at 7:43 PM Post #4,227 of 5,996
Don't you think slew rate similarly fits the criteria.

Jun 23, 2022 at 8:02 PM Post #4,229 of 5,996
Wouldn't that be peak current capability (in amps)?
That's basically what torque is in electronics.
Sure. The idea is to be voltage limited and not current limited.

Jun 23, 2022 at 9:25 PM Post #4,230 of 5,996
It really is just design...
Studio six has multiple stage filtering, multi-stage psu. These keep noise low. Similar technique and principles to my mod
Zero feed back
Then it floods the signal with 2nd order harmonics so it masks the quality of transport, cables and such down the line.

'torque' is damping factor which is not the factor to explain studio six's performance.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back