Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Jun 22, 2022 at 12:35 PM Post #4,186 of 6,012
A lot of what you're saying is what both intrigues me and worries me about the Stealth haha. I am definitely intrigued that it seems to be the perfect reference-class and true to life headphone out there, but then worried if that may come across as boring or stale vs. a headphone that provides ample flavor like my ZMF's. I'd love to try the Stealth but alas the bay area is awful for high end audio funny enough
If you want that fun sound of ZMF headphones, just for your good better stay with VC :wink:

Jun 22, 2022 at 12:42 PM Post #4,187 of 6,012
If you want that fun sound of ZMF headphones, just for your good better stay with VC :wink:

I guess its more of a "dont know what im missing" type of deal. The reason I'm intrigued is my Neumann KH120 speakers are my favorite way to listen to music. They are reference class. Definitely a difference between the way they sound and the ZMF's but, also, speakers will always sound different than headphones. I guess I need to scout out a way to try these guys out locally somehow or maybe buy 'em used and see for myself :wink:

Jun 22, 2022 at 1:39 PM Post #4,189 of 6,012
As much as I loved the Stealth, I just couldn't adapt to a closed back headphone. Wearing headphones that keep me isolated isn't practical for me most of the day. I have high hopes that DCA will release some kind of open back version of Stealth soon. I won't hesitate for a second to snag that.

Jun 22, 2022 at 7:41 PM Post #4,190 of 6,012
A lot of what you're saying is what both intrigues me and worries me about the Stealth haha. I am definitely intrigued that it seems to be the perfect reference-class and true to life headphone out there, but then worried if that may come across as boring or stale vs. a headphone that provides ample flavor like my ZMF's. I'd love to try the Stealth but alas the bay area is awful for high end audio funny enough
I reckon it will depend on the music you like, and your gear to some degree. I'm feeling that they have the best timbre of the headphones I've used, and they are closer to an idea of "reference" or "accurate" or whatever term you want to use, but there is plenty of music I listen to which hasn't been mastered suitably for that. Then I want to grab something different.
As much as I loved the Stealth, I just couldn't adapt to a closed back headphone. Wearing headphones that keep me isolated isn't practical for me most of the day. I have high hopes that DCA will release some kind of open back version of Stealth soon. I won't hesitate for a second to snag that.
That's something so obvious that I can't believe it never occurred to me as a possibility. There are definitely a couple of things that I'm guessing could possibly be improved by by not having the restraints of being closed-backed.

(Review coming once I've finished editing in b-roll, before anyone asks.)

Jun 22, 2022 at 7:53 PM Post #4,191 of 6,012
Can the Stealth even be an open-backed pair of headphones, given the need for meta materials? I think that the meta material may necessitate a closed-back design. :thinking:

Jun 22, 2022 at 8:02 PM Post #4,192 of 6,012
Can the Stealth even be an open-backed pair of headphones, given the need for meta materials? I think that the meta material may necessitate a closed-back design. :thinking:
The metamaterial goes between the driver and the ear, so it should be possible. I hope.

Jun 22, 2022 at 9:38 PM Post #4,194 of 6,012
I think the isolation really helps it sound more open. I'm happy to report that I have missed a few calls and haven't heard people when they are talking to me, when playing at a moderate to low level. Build quality is sooo much better than susvara and feels much nicer and more premium in person I'd say.

The meta-material helps sculpt the FR, but I don't think that you would get the same bass response in an open back with the meta-material. I remember reading that he tuned a few other branded headphones with the metamaterial.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2022 at 9:40 PM Post #4,195 of 6,012

You ever make a conclusion on stealth soundstage vs LCD5 ?

Jun 22, 2022 at 9:55 PM Post #4,196 of 6,012
You ever make a conclusion on stealth soundstage vs LCD5 ?
Stealth may have a slightly more accurate soundstage, but they're literally two of the best I've heard in terms of staging and placement of instruments in the mix.

Jun 22, 2022 at 11:36 PM Post #4,197 of 6,012

I'm the opposite, lol. I love closed backs. I hope they come out with a Stealth V2 or something with an even more improved AMT tech.

Jun 22, 2022 at 11:38 PM Post #4,198 of 6,012

You could always get the Stealth from a seller with a 30-day return policy (like Audio46 for example) and try it out. Just be warned, the Stealth is more amp-dependent than the VC. If you don't have a powerful amp to drive it properly, it's not going to sound like it's supposed to.

Jun 23, 2022 at 12:26 AM Post #4,199 of 6,012
A open Back version.....

It will not work on the same level as the closed back
First, the moving air mass is lost, which would mean that the transducer would have to be bigger and stronger to achieve the same results
And secondly, the spatial presentation and speration would also develop to the disadvantage
If you want to give a room to the tonal performance, you can only achieve that if you also give it space

NOMAX

PS.But that's just my opinion 😉

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back