Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Feb 4, 2022 at 1:46 AM Post #3,391 of 5,994
For those who find the Stealth a bit bass light and are not opposed to EQ, I have been really enjoying them with +3-4db low shelf at 120 Hz (0.7 Q). I find it elevates the bass to a level that is more comparable to my u12t with the m15 module.

Feb 4, 2022 at 5:20 AM Post #3,392 of 5,994
Zombie apocalypse with Stealth. :p

20220204_111518.jpg

Feb 5, 2022 at 3:17 PM Post #3,393 of 5,994
I wrote a comparison between the ZMF Verite Closed and Stealth over in the VC thread, if anyone is interested. The link is below. If anyone else wants to chime in with thoughts about these titanic closed-back masterpieces, please do. I wish there were more write ups comparing the two, but there is strangely more about the Rognir vs stealth

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/zmf-verite-closed-new-closed-back-zmf-flagship.911505/post-16768878

Update: I am changing my semi-final stance from that original post: Stealth is an overall better headphone in technicalities, tonality, and build. I'm definitely keeping them. It wows me almost every time I listen with them. What tipped the scale for me was settling on the right amp. IMO, the Formula S / Powerman synergizes just perfectly -- the low-end boost /rumble and treble smoothness leave me with zero complaints now (other than the fact that Stealth are disappointingly hard to drive). I like this pairing even more than from the TT2 unless your focus is preserving utter transparency; even the rear XLRs don't get the same low-end. If you were on the fence about the Stealth and are in the market for a new SS amp, please please check out the Formula S.
As always, YMMV

I use a Norne Silvergarde S3 which sacrifices a tiny bit of bass presences in exchange for upper mids/treble clarity, compared to the Vivo cable.

Shockingly for me, I think I am inching ever closer to selling my VC, unless they start wowing me with the same consistency. After another A/B round the other day the VC just sounded noticeably more congested and less resolving in comparison. I'm going to swap pads to unverse lambskin which doesn't round out the sound as much as the Auteur hybrid pads. Also the weather in NYC has been horrible this week, so my middle ears might not have been in the best shape relative to the barometric pressure. I guess I need a tiebreaker. To be continued

Feb 5, 2022 at 10:32 PM Post #3,394 of 5,994
This is a cross post. Someone asked me on the ZMF VC thread if I had used my Verite Closed with my DX300Max. My response actually has more the do with the Stealth than the VC:

There is a story behind if I have used the DX300 Max with my Verite Closed. My father-in-law was visiting two weeks ago. I had the Stealth but not VC yet. He owned a very high end audio store from the 70's to 2007 at which time he sold the business and retired. Right before the economy crashed and right when High End 2 CH systems became less in style. He started out making 2CH speakers and selling them from his apartment and then moved on to selling other peoples high end audio equipment. He recently opened up with stories about the owner of Wilson Audio and staying at his house when Wilson Audio started etc. Also stories about Jim Thiel from Thiel audio for example. Even stories about Mike Moffat from Schiit Audio since Mike has been in the business for a long time.

After he left the business he had no interest in talking about audio nor listening to audio. His house is full of AMAZING speakers that I have never seen being used. He did mention audio stuff the first time I met him 10 years ago and he saw my 2Ch system. He told me every detail about it and what model and what years each unit was produced and the interconnects I was using and the speaker cables etc. He did say that my system was a good low end of the high end systems from the early 2000's :) That was a "nice to meet you" flex! The only other audio conversation we have had is that he very humbly came to me about 8 years ago and said "Mark can I please move your speakers into a position that will give you optional sound quality." :)

So last week when he came to visit he saw my Stealth HPs and liked how they resemble the exact color scheme and leather and carbon fiber look as a certain high end vehicle. So he wanted to try them. After 5 minutes of listening with his eyes closed he described every detail of the sound of the Stealth in a way that I could never do. When he sold HPs there were no closed back HPs that could compete with open back HPs. He was EXTREMELY impressed with the sound of the Stealth. He was listening to music through the DX300Max. DAPS were not a thing in 2007 so such a device that could produce amazing music was new to him.

So to finally answer your question. I listened to the Stealth with DX300Max and loved it. I was very happy with the dynamics of the combination. I know I could probably do Stealth better but I loved the combo. My father in law now has the Stealth and DX300Max with him. He was that impressed with both devices.

So, no I have not heard VC with DX300Max. I have an audio friend that will sell me his Stealth most likely. Otherwise I will hunt a used one down. Another audio friend is sending me his DX300Max Ti next week. So I will be able to comment then on that combo.

Sorry about the long story but I do hope it is an interesting one :)

I have only heard VC on Jot 1 with built in MB DAC and Jot 2 with Bifrost 2. I have been using those with IEMs (and love what they do for IEMs with DD and/or Estat drivers). I am loving those combos with VC and I know I can do a better by VC. I sold my HP amps when I got into IEMs about three years ago. I am waiting to see how much I like DX300Max Ti with the VC before I look into any other amps.

Feb 6, 2022 at 3:09 PM Post #3,395 of 5,994
I wrote a comparison between the ZMF Verite Closed and Stealth over in the VC thread, if anyone is interested. The link is below. If anyone else wants to chime in with thoughts about these titanic closed-back masterpieces, please do. I wish there were more write ups comparing the two, but there is strangely more about the Rognir vs stealth

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/zmf-verite-closed-new-closed-back-zmf-flagship.911505/post-16768878

Update: I am changing my semi-final stance from that original post: Stealth is an overall better headphone in technicalities, tonality, and build. I'm definitely keeping them. It wows me almost every time I listen with them. What tipped the scale for me was settling on the right amp. IMO, the Formula S / Powerman synergizes just perfectly -- the low-end boost /rumble and treble smoothness leave me with zero complaints now (other than the fact that Stealth are disappointingly hard to drive). I like this pairing even more than from the TT2 unless your focus is preserving utter transparency; even the rear XLRs don't get the same low-end. If you were on the fence about the Stealth and are in the market for a new SS amp, please please check out the Formula S.
As always, YMMV

I use a Norne Silvergarde S3 which sacrifices a tiny bit of bass presences in exchange for upper mids/treble clarity, compared to the Vivo cable.

Shockingly for me, I think I am inching ever closer to selling my VC, unless they start wowing me with the same consistency. After another A/B round the other day the VC just sounded noticeably more congested and less resolving in comparison. I'm going to swap pads to unverse lambskin which doesn't round out the sound as much as the Auteur hybrid pads. Also the weather in NYC has been horrible this week, so my middle ears might not have been in the best shape relative to the barometric pressure. I guess I need a tiebreaker. To be continued

I prefer also my Questyle CMA 15 more as my TT2 when i listen with the Stealth

NOMAX

PS.with the Utopia...exactly the opposite....the TT2

Feb 6, 2022 at 10:08 PM Post #3,396 of 5,994
I prefer also my Questyle CMA 15 more as my TT2 when i listen with the Stealth

NOMAX

PS.with the Utopia...exactly the opposite....the TT2
I love Questyle amps. CMA600i was my first desktop DAC/amp and it fully delivered until I got the TT2. It's a shame they don't get more shine.

Yeah people keep saying their "current mode amplification" is a knockout with planars.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2022 at 1:14 AM Post #3,397 of 5,994

As always, YMMV

I enjoyed reading both posts. The trick driving Susvara and Stealth is very similar where you have to pick the amp with the lowest gain and still play music loud enough. If high gain sounds better, then it means there's something in the rest of the chain that needs improving, usually source/transport quality or power quality. The Formula S has 10dB gain so if you end up trying to refine your chain, something like a ifi power station can help the tt2 have that lower end on the HP out and also enjoy unity gain out of it.

Yea I try to see how other HPs catch up to the Stealth but group delay and ear pad design is their downfall.

It takes getting used to the quality the Stealth delivers. I've known punch/slam quantity is a poor way to judge bass and I see YT reviewers using this factor and gives praise to something like a Utopia but it's really just boosted bass and a bass peak. I've heard the Stealth being very limp on other setups, but I know it's not the Stealth at fault. Hopefully more YT reviewers would have better listening skills where bass peaks bashing the ear drum would be out of fashion.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2022 at 1:31 AM Post #3,398 of 5,994
I enjoyed reading both posts. The trick driving Susvara and Stealth is very similar where you have to pick the amp with the lowest gain and still play music loud enough. If high gain sounds better, then it means there's something in the rest of the chain that needs improving, usually source/transport quality or power quality. The Formula S has 10dB gain so if you end up trying to refine your chain, something like a ifi power station can help the tt2 have that lower end on the HP out and also enjoy unity gain out of it.

Yea I try to see how other HPs catch up to the Stealth but group delay and ear pad design is their downfall.

It takes getting used to the quality the Stealth delivers. I've known punch/slam quantity is a poor way to judge bass and I see YT reviewers using this factor and gives praise to something like a Utopia but it's really just boosted bass and a bass peak. I've heard the Stealth being very limp on other setups, but I know it's not the Stealth at fault. Hopefully more YT reviewers would have better listening skills where bass peaks bashing the ear drum would be out of fashion.
Enjoying rumbling bass will not go out of fashion, bass is the essence of feeling the music.
Its really a unique experience where apart from Abyss you can only get via speakers.
We all like Stealth for what it is, but to say "more bass" is bad is certainly not true. You need to "move" air to have a musical experience.
Full Bodied Sound is what we all expect from music listening, regardless of whether its playing on bluetooth, vinyl, cd or a reel to reel.

Enough on bass!

Somehow we always get back on the bass topic in this thread.

For a change lets discuss its staging, especially its front stage imaging.

Feb 7, 2022 at 1:40 AM Post #3,399 of 5,994
Enjoying rumbling bass will not go out of fashion, bass is the essence of feeling the music.
Its really a unique experience where apart from Abyss you can only get via speakers.
We all like Stealth for what it is, but to say "more bass" is bad is certainly not true. You need to "move" air to have a musical experience.
Full Bodied Sound is what we all expect from music listening, regardless of whether its playing on bluetooth, vinyl, cd or a reel to reel.

Enough on bass!

Somehow we always get back on the bass topic in this thread.

For a change lets discuss its staging, especially its front stage imaging.
You didn't read his posts I reckon. Rumbling bass is different from punchy bass.

Abyss relies on distortion, phase issues, group delay, ear pads and lack of seal to only attempt some form of bass quantity that is pleasant and non peaky but hardly accurate. To its credit, it has bass extension and less punchy than He1kv2 or focal cans.

Feb 7, 2022 at 10:25 PM Post #3,400 of 5,994
Listening to, and owning, the Stealth is the same as a high-end stereo rig. Great speakers/big setup has always sounded to me at first flat until you LISTENED and realize what you normally listen to has EQ boost here and there.
Listening to Grateful Dead live. The bass is SO DEEP on the recording May 1977: Get shown the light. Stealth does not bloat the bass like my Meze Empyreans used to. If you LISTEN the bass is accurate

Feb 7, 2022 at 10:28 PM Post #3,401 of 5,994
Listening to, and owning, the Stealth is the same as a high-end stereo rig. Great speakers/big setup has always sounded to me at first flat until you LISTENED and realize what you normally listen to has EQ boost here and there.
Listening to Grateful Dead live. The bass is SO DEEP on the recording May 1977: Get shown the light. Stealth does not bloat the bass like my Meze Empyreans used to. If you LISTEN the bass is accurate
I was so proud of my LCD4 for years until Stealth showed me how bass peaky it was 😭😭

Feb 8, 2022 at 3:48 AM Post #3,402 of 5,994
I was so proud of my LCD4 for years until Stealth showed me how bass peaky it was 😭😭
Which can be a quite enjoyable trait. I mean you did enjoy ir at the time too, right?

Feb 8, 2022 at 3:50 AM Post #3,403 of 5,994
Which can be a quite enjoyable trait. I mean you did enjoy ir at the time too, right?
Point as well is they cant even exist in a complimentary way. The only thing I like about the 4 is the room feel coz of the ear pad resonance.

Edit: but Stealth has the ability to hear the room in the recording...

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2022 at 7:00 AM Post #3,404 of 5,994
Yup, Stealth was a milestone for me in this hobby and it is not easy to go back to the old days after being spoiled with what is possible.

Feb 8, 2022 at 7:04 AM Post #3,405 of 5,994
Yup, Stealth was a milestone for me in this hobby and it is not easy to go back to the old days after being spoiled with what is possible.
What's your favourite amp pairing with the Stealth?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back