Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Jan 21, 2022 at 1:10 AM Post #3,361 of 5,994
I actually have practical reasons for using the powerbanks. I have occasional power outages and it takes a bit for the generator to kick in. With power banks, music continues uninterrupted. I just have bad wiring in this house, circuit breakers trip all the time, it's a mess and I'm not about to rewire the whole house. So, power banks - with the additional benefit of complete isolation.
I have good wiring, but live through the winters of rual Montana. We get power-outages, but we also get brown-outs where the lights flicker then dim for a few seconds, then come up again. My understanding is that's worse on equipment than blackouts. Therefore, I have UPS units for my computer/audio equipment.

Jan 21, 2022 at 7:23 AM Post #3,362 of 5,994
Ordered myself a Musician Pegasus (R2R) DAC to go with the Pro iCAN Sig, look forward to the Stealth pairing with the combo... anyone tried it?
So I got the Musician DAC plugged on the Pro iCAN Sig, even out of the box I like what I am hearing with Stealth :)

Jan 21, 2022 at 7:41 AM Post #3,364 of 5,994
Jan 21, 2022 at 7:53 AM Post #3,365 of 5,994
So I got the Musician DAC plugged on the Pro iCAN Sig, even out of the box I like what I am hearing with Stealth :)

Now, I just hope you won't convince me like you did with the Vison Ears EXT, that this combo ( iCan Sig+Musician R2R DAC) can be a real step-up in sound quality from my actual combo iFi iPower elite 12V + M17 + iFi iPower elite 24V + THX887 + DCA STEALTH ... :ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

Jan 21, 2022 at 11:41 AM Post #3,366 of 5,994
Now, I just hope you won't convince me like you did with the Vison Ears EXT, that this combo ( iCan Sig+Musician R2R DAC) can be a real step-up in sound quality from my actual combo iFi iPower elite 12V + M17 + iFi iPower elite 24V + THX887 + DCA STEALTH ... :ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile:
Well... honestly manufacturer says 300 hours burnin but even after a few hours the R2R + Tube combo sounds so incredible with the Stealth so alive, organic and rich... only issue I am having is I had to plug the M17 via Coax, for some reason USB works only with DSD and I tried playing with settings everywhere (doesn't work better with M9, maybe my usb-b to usb-c cable is not a good one)

Right now I am blown away...

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2022 at 3:22 PM Post #3,367 of 5,994
Well... honestly manufacturer says 300 hours burnin but even after a few hours the R2R + Tube combo sounds so incredible with the Stealth so alive, organic and rich... only issue I am having is I had to plug the M17 via Coax, for some reason USB works only with DSD and I tried playing with settings everywhere (doesn't work better with M9, maybe my usb-b to usb-c cable is not a good one)

Right now I am blown away...
I fine R2R implementation or a tube one is where it’s at with getting music that sounds like it’s not recorded and not digital.
Forget all you know about detail, soundstage, imaging and rest of the sound jargon.
All of those things can bet created in the equipment tuning by the designer but to get the right tone and sound realistic is an art where you need equipment such as vinyl, tube and to a degree R2R to create it.
Everything else will get you 99% of the way.

Jan 21, 2022 at 7:01 PM Post #3,368 of 5,994
My Stealth was just delivered today and initial impressions are that it is amazing. I am not very experienced in this whole hifi universe, and coming from a pair of Audeze LCD-i4s, but my god these headphones are so much more immersive. Bass is detailed and "punchy". I primarily listen to electronic music, and contrary to some earlier opinions in this thread, I find the stealth perfect. Listening through my Sony TA-ZH1ES dac/amp and it seems to drive these perfectly fine for me... for now. Will probably try to demo some units with power in the future to see if an upgrade is warranted, but for now VERY stoked.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2022 at 3:10 PM Post #3,369 of 5,994
After over 1000 Hours playing time...the transducers works fine without any issues 👍

NOMAX

PS.lol

Jan 22, 2022 at 3:24 PM Post #3,370 of 5,994
After over 1000 Hours playing time...the transducers works fine without any issues 👍

NOMAX

PS.lol
As it should be.

Jan 23, 2022 at 3:10 PM Post #3,372 of 5,994
Haver been reading post in the forums for a while, first time posting for me in a while. I received the Stealth a few months ago and I have been having mixed feeling about them. They are very detailed and I perceive the music as very natural. However, whenever I switch in between other headphones (Meze Elite or Final D8000 pro), the Stealth sound thin with not enough body. The feeling vanes as I listen to them for a while, but this impression kept bugging me. I had used them with a solid state amp (Burson Soloist) and a tube amp (Tor balanced; probably a little underpowered at 0.5 W). All the while I was wondering if I should sell them for something with a meatier sound (I tend to prefer a little bit warmer sound).
Well, I just got an Ampsandsound Forge tube amplifier and it seems to me the perfect amp for the Stealth. They retain all their amazing qualities with great detail, but no harshness, natural sound but now they have some body and just sound wonderful.
Curious if anyone else had a similar experience with certain amps and the Stealth.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2022 at 4:03 PM Post #3,373 of 5,994
Haver been reading post in the forums for a while, first time posting for me in a while. I received the Stealth a few months ago and I have been having mixed feeling about them. They are very detailed and I perceive the music as very natural. However, whenever I switch in between other headphones (Meze Elite or Final D8000 pro), the Stealth sound thin with not enough body. The feeling vanes as I listen to them for a while, but this impression kept bugging me. I had used them with a solid state amp (Burson Soloist) and a tube amp (Tor balanced; probably a little underpowered at 0.5 W). All the while I was wondering if I should sell them for something with a meatier sound (I tend to prefer a little bit warmer sound).
Well, I just got an Ampsandsound Forge tube amplifier and it seems to me the perfect amp for the Stealth. They retain all their amazing qualities with great detail, but no harshness, natural sound but now they have some body and just sound wonderful.
Curious if anyone else had a similar experience with certain amps and the Stealth.
I've had a similar experience in terms of the difference between the Stealths and the Meze Elites. The Elites are more full bodied if I switch between them. But I still love the Stealth too. And I admit I'm still getting to know both headphones.

I've been listening to a lot of acoustic guitar with the Stealths, where their detail and naturalness bring the music to life. I love the sounds of the instruments themselves and with the Stealths I can really hear into them (along with a lot of other cues from the recordings). In this context, the sound of the body is natural to the instrument.

For space/ambient/electronic and some other music the Elites might be a better fit for me.

I recently received an Enleum AMP-23r amp for the Stealth and the increase in power is a benefit, but it's not necessarily changing the perception you're describing. Both headphones sound great with this amp.

Jan 23, 2022 at 11:04 PM Post #3,374 of 5,994
Either you are hearing the group delay or ear pad resonance that's giving the perceived extra body or the chain you have is not a low enough noise floor that it would veil the Stealth and let the other two cans seemingly have more body. Ampandsound amps use distortion for their cause and can give enough 2nd order harmonics to give that body.

Or...maybe the Elite just has more warmth. The Empy is quite warm/dark. Final d8000 pro seems to be on the lean/lifted bass side but I didn't hear it on a good chain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back