Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Jan 24, 2022 at 1:11 AM Post #3,376 of 5,991
It's more than just the FR though, which is just obtained by running a tone sweep through the headphones and recording it. It wont show various effects caused by playing actual music through the headphones. Somewhat simply, the Stealth may have more measurable bass, but I suspect that the Empyrean and Elite have more internal resonances, so they sound like they have more bass than the Stealth.

I have found that the Stealth has better instrument timbre than the D8000 Pro. Violins sound more natural, for example. The LCD-5s are good in this regard too.

Overall, I think that I have to listen with the Stealth by themselves to get the most out of them. If I switch back and forth, which I did for an hour the other day, everything ends up sounding like crap on all headphones and I don't want to listen any more.

Jan 24, 2022 at 6:23 PM Post #3,380 of 5,991
Well decided to give the tube side of the iDSD Pro Signature a go today with the Stealth, and after a little bit of brain burn-in, the already special mids (from solid-state) just became truly magical.

Treble takes a further seat back but there is an addictive subbass rumble with some impressive heft on drum hits. Vocals sound sweet, sublime and guitar string timbre comes across as euphoric and engrossing. It's the closest musical mid-centric tuning I've heard since Rhapsodio Supreme but with more dynamics and subbass.

I ordered the Wells Audio Dragon 2 to preamp into and honestly if it even scales just a touch more, I will be super content with where Stealth has landed me. :sunglasses:

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2022 at 9:59 PM Post #3,381 of 5,991
Well...I updated the Soekris dac1321 firmware finally after a year of attempts. Didn't know there's a specific sequence of turning it on AFTER running Termi pro.

It's a very different sound where I'm now confused with the response of the Stealth vs the DAC. 🤣🤣 The soekris was always mid centric before, and Gregory Porter and Rumer was making the clipping light activate. So I was quick to blame the poor master on the 2 albums but they check out after I ripped them and imported on Premiere. After the firmware update, the same tracks doesn't activate the clipping light. The sound is deeper, soundstage bigger and vocals is less in brightness, or like, less likely to peak.

I've loaned out my Hugo 2 and I'm still waiting for a psu for my diablo mod which will take months to do further comparisons. Currently the sound has departed from what Ety er4xr sounds like. It's back to that cinematic Dolby Atmos experience in it's presentation,size and macros.

One gripe with this Stealth is how difficult it is to lock into the same fitting on each session. I still haven't figured out a method to have good repeatability. Though since my last comment on fitting position months ago, I concur with Dan Clark's advice now of ideal placement which is having the ear closer to the top and back of the pads, (10 o'clock from center)

Jan 26, 2022 at 3:41 PM Post #3,383 of 5,991
Well...I updated the Soekris dac1321 firmware finally after a year of attempts. Didn't know there's a specific sequence of turning it on AFTER running Termi pro.

It's a very different sound where I'm now confused with the response of the Stealth vs the DAC. 🤣🤣 The soekris was always mid centric before, and Gregory Porter and Rumer was making the clipping light activate. So I was quick to blame the poor master on the 2 albums but they check out after I ripped them and imported on Premiere. After the firmware update, the same tracks doesn't activate the clipping light. The sound is deeper, soundstage bigger and vocals is less in brightness, or like, less likely to peak.

I've loaned out my Hugo 2 and I'm still waiting for a psu for my diablo mod which will take months to do further comparisons. Currently the sound has departed from what Ety er4xr sounds like. It's back to that cinematic Dolby Atmos experience in it's presentation,size and macros.

One gripe with this Stealth is how difficult it is to lock into the same fitting on each session. I still haven't figured out a method to have good repeatability. Though since my last comment on fitting position months ago, I concur with Dan Clark's advice now of ideal placement which is having the ear closer to the top and back of the pads, (10 o'clock from center)
For me, the elastic headband sometimes slightly migrates the ear cups away from the ideal position

Jan 29, 2022 at 10:16 PM Post #3,385 of 5,991
Replaced my Sony TA-ZH1ES with a RME ADI-2 DAC FS + Topping A30 Pro. These headphones needed a lot more power than offered by the Sony unit. Loving the new setup. Cradle to the Grave can be blasted louder than I think is safe for my ears or the headphones and no clipping or distortion.

Jan 30, 2022 at 1:33 AM Post #3,386 of 5,991
Okay I got check with my Diablo and borrowed a pro iDSD sig to do a tonality, density, macros check on the new Soekris firmware and they practically match. I always considered the previous Soekris firmware to be mid-centric and it was still giving a lot of bass to the Stealth so I didn't mind it. What I do miss a lot was the kick drum realism of the previous firmware. There was a lift in the upper bass so it gave just the right amount of emphasis, air and reverb that made me impressed with the kick drum presentation. There's a bit less sustain now and it decays even blacker now so it is what it is. Other than that, this is the best setup combo I've heard.

So much so that I learned a lot on this combo. Few years ago I was trying to optimize a listening room with Dirac 2.0. The end result, it gave a very headphone listening kind of sound. I just went with the flat FR preset. With the Stealth and Phonitor One, I hit gold with using crossfeed. It just gave that extra help in realism. I wasn't that convinced with the older soekris firmware + xfeed, but it was like I passed through a portal with the new firmware plus crossfeed combo. So it made me think what's going on. I even prefer a lot of qualities on it compared to my Dirac calibration on the listening room.

So here's my theory, my Dirac calibration was to make loudspeakers in a room have a flat response. So it's speakers + room then making it a flat response. This Stealth setup though, it's a Harman curve response plus very low distortion and group delay then adding crossfeed on top. It felt more like a listening room than my Dirac calibration. 👀👀 And if you're following, this starts to make sense. The Dirac calibration cancelled out , or didn't lend to a natural room response that would make us feel it's a band in the room. I wasn't keen on the proper amount of mid bass that time so the flat response felt more open and more faithful. I tried a slight downward curve and some Harman preset but it didn't interact with the room well so it felt like the worse option at the time.

No crossfeed is a tighter presentation especially on electo synth bass. Great if you love that punch, purity and density of it. With crossfeed, there is a bit of sweetness and air around the attack. Less fatiguing. Vocals are sweeter and more convincing too. Without crossfeed it has the accuracy, purity, density of iems. With crossfeed there's a contour in the vocals that's pleasant and convincing.

What's very new also is how vocal peaks are presented now with the combo with or without crossfeed. Typically when a singer starts to go strong on a word, the presentation moves forward, becomes sharper, hard and louder. With the current combo, the peaks move a bit back instead and the detail lines up in a row and is very drawn out, relaxed and coherent. The same goes for very busy strings/orchestra passages. Nothing clumps up. There is enough time and space to keep everything in a row and given their chance to speak. 👀👀

Oh with the pro iDSD sig, unity gain was not loud enough for the Stealth to my surprise. +9dB gain killed the blacks, bass and dynamics so much that i wouldn't recommend the pairing. 4.4 unity gain may be sufficient but I loaned my 4.4 out so I can't verify atm. 😭

Here's a link to my LCD 5 impressions and how it compares with the Stealth:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audeze-lcd-5-review-measurements-interview.959808/post-16790071

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2022 at 9:15 AM Post #3,387 of 5,991
Heavenly Sound in the Mountains

2044C96C-4AEC-4F04-A510-FD5D705344D4.jpeg

NOMAX

PS.lol

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back