Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Jan 20, 2022 at 2:07 PM Post #3,346 of 5,994
New tweaking journal condensed version:

1.Unplugged the Aircon:
-Less midbass thiccness...less hardness on vocals. Slightly peaky. Sustain on vocals a bit veiled (far). Bass notes moves lower and have more definition. Gives the presentation so much grounding that it feels like I'm listening to speakers or live band in a room.

2. Unplugged my powerstrip that's usually off and housing my chargers and laptop wall wart
-More purity on the sustain of vocals. Peakiness is gone. Much smoother. More convincing bass tone and density.

3. Unplugged shower heater and now in pseudo dedicated mains mode where everything but the audio chain is unplugged
- more relaxed. Shower heater takes less of a hit on SQ like the microwave.

Tweaks in-between that didn't work anymore
-i was reseting some of my devices to 'freshen up' the sound and make it more linear. But since unplugging the Aircon, this doesn't work anymore. Doing it now makes things peaky.

-i was using Oyaide ac plugs to help with the peakiness at the start but I don't need that anymore as well with psuedo dedicated mains mode. Using these plugs didn't make the LCD4 sound good at all too.

--------
Here's the interesting part. LCD4 has some peaks in the bass and upper mids. This perceivably cuts the rest of the neighboring frequency. I have the new pads and while it's less resonant, at this level the group delay is more apparent especially when comparing to the Stealth. Vocals are not clear and is like the singer is singing through a short tunnel.

Stealth actually sounds more open than the 4. There's more linearity and smoothness in the bass so the quantity and sustain is proper. The thicness on the mid bass is lesser than before so it sounds more open than the 4. Vocals are clearer to the level of good iems with no group delay distortion that it sounds open again. On that midbass thiccness I was hearing before with the aircon plugged in, I thought it was the way the albums were mixed and I'm hearing it properly for the first time.

Once again, the Stealth is so good that it really helps me diagnose the rest of my chain. It is also the only headphone I've heard that gives proper grounding to the presentation. Most other headphones are too floaty. All the tweaks and exercises are about balancing the sound. The goal being, no emphasis on anywhere in the frequency band.
You had a shower heater plugged in where your audio system is !?

Jan 20, 2022 at 7:40 PM Post #3,348 of 5,994
Jan 20, 2022 at 8:30 PM Post #3,349 of 5,994
I don't understand how he is so confident about this stuff. Here's the possibilities...either he has beyond human level hearing ability, or maybe the power in his house just has some major issues that dramatically impact his sound unlike any other, or...he's slightly delusional.

If I leave my batteries plugged in charging, while listening, I never notice. It's just out of habit that I pull out the charge cable to be completely isolated. But many many times, I do a day full of enjoyable even critical listening, and laugh when I see that I never even unplugged. But, apparently, he can tell the difference between having his shower heater (who has this? :expressionless:) plugged in or not.

I enjoy his musings, but I do feel bad for newbies that take what he says seriously. And yes, he does make a few arguably correct points, but we're talking a statistically insignificant amount! :yum:

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2022 at 9:18 PM Post #3,350 of 5,994
I don't understand how he is so confident about this stuff. Here's the possibilities...either he has beyond human level hearing ability, or maybe the power in his house just has some major issues that dramatically impact his sound unlike any other, or...he's slightly delusional.

If I leave my batteries plugged in charging, while listening, I never notice. It's just out of habit that I pull out the charge cable to be completely isolated. But many many times, I do a day full of enjoyable even critical listening, and laugh when I see that I never even unplugged. But, apparently, he can tell the difference between having his shower heater (who has this? :expressionless:) plugged in or not.

I enjoy his musings, but I do feel bad for newbies that take what he says seriously. And yes, he does make a few arguably correct points, but we're talking a statistically insignificant amount! :yum:
You can try reading about how dedicated mains has improved sound for a lot of people...

And it's funny that the person who doesn't believe in this is doing powerbanks... 🤪

Jan 20, 2022 at 9:30 PM Post #3,352 of 5,994
You can try reading about how dedicated mains has improved sound for a lot of people...

And it's funny that the person who doesn't believe in this is doing powerbanks... 🤪

I'm looking to listen to my wife better - what power conditioner, dedicated main, and metal shielding should I use around the house? And should I unplug her hair dryer? :beyersmile:

Jan 20, 2022 at 9:39 PM Post #3,354 of 5,994
Stealth?
Here's a rough guide for sound leakage I posted a while ago

Yeah. When I’m back in the office, I’ll have someone 4 feet to my right and left. Need to figure out if they can hear.

They could with the Stellia (but I didn’t like them). Couldn’t with the denon 9200

I use the noble katana ciem and inear promission x iems now from a dave

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2022 at 9:43 PM Post #3,355 of 5,994
Yeah. When I’m back in the office, I’ll have someone 4 feet to my right and left. Need to figure out if they can hear.

They could with the Stellia (but I didn’t like them). Couldn’t with the denon 9200

I use the noble kata ciem and inear promission x iems now from a dave
Ok. Hope the lil vid helps a bit. The mic I use is pretty sensitive so sounds louder than in person. But it gives an idea until you see em in person. You'd have to be listening pretty loud to annoy others imo tho

Jan 20, 2022 at 9:58 PM Post #3,356 of 5,994
need to check audition these to see how bad the bleed is, but thinking of running them with a ferrum/oor from a dave
It's good with a Dave if you do spdif in on the Dave plus adding a line conditioner. Despite the hype on the Hypsos, if one was to pair it with the OOR, the noise floor is pretty underwhelming. The ipower x is blacker, albeit the ipower x contaminating other devices in the same strip so it gets a dedicated line conditioner. Understandably the stock Meanwell will be worse.

Jan 20, 2022 at 10:51 PM Post #3,358 of 5,994
Said the guy along with Jim the clipping guy where one should play Cradle to Grave, which is a bg musical score, to improper listening levels to the point of clipping to prove some point they made up.... 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
You keep misunderstanding the point of that experiment. You are supposed to listen to the track at your desired level, or what you would consider around maximum level for you. If, at that point, your amp clips, it shows you need something more powerful. Nobody said anything about cranking it till your headphones blow out. That's just you being you...

Jan 20, 2022 at 10:57 PM Post #3,359 of 5,994

I actually have practical reasons for using the powerbanks. I have occasional power outages and it takes a bit for the generator to kick in. With power banks, music continues uninterrupted. I just have bad wiring in this house, circuit breakers trip all the time, it's a mess and I'm not about to rewire the whole house. So, power banks - with the additional benefit of complete isolation.

Jan 20, 2022 at 11:11 PM Post #3,360 of 5,994
You keep misunderstanding the point of that experiment. You are supposed to listen to the track at your desired level, or what you would consider around maximum level for you. If, at that point, your amp clips, it shows you need something more powerful. Nobody said anything about cranking it till your headphones blow out. That's just you being you...
It's not supposed to be played at what one feels is maximum level. It's bg music with really low sub bass and at good quantity. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

It's actually coffee guy who said I'm supposed to play it louder than I can tolerate or else I'm doing it wrong. 🤣

Anyways, I've already stated I did the whole powerbank thing so I covered that and my ac mains setup exceeds that and covers I don't have electrical issues.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back