Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Oct 5, 2021 at 5:06 AM Post #1,954 of 5,996
So my stealth has arrived at my dealer. I'm picking them up in two days. But I'm still in a conundrum with dac/amp upgrade to get to "endgame" setup. I'd love some advice.

currently I have schiit magnius and Modius and run balanced xr

I'm thinking dac upgrade first, and then amp when $ allow (thinking an hpa4 in future)

I'm looking at rme adi-2 or benchmark dac3 as most likely candidates.
Both have pros and cons.

Can anyone give thoughts impressions recommendations or alternatives for me please?

Once I've got the new phones I'll give my impressions compared to aeon2 opens too.
I haven’t heard the Dac3, but really like my RME.

Oct 5, 2021 at 5:40 AM Post #1,956 of 5,996
Stealth can't play fast and complex parts in a song, then they sound flat and compressed.
You really should get your pair exchanged, just to make sure what you're hearing is a non-defective Stealth.

Oct 5, 2021 at 5:59 AM Post #1,957 of 5,996

Ok, here you have.

I agree this doesn't sound good at all, but this for me is not a good recording, and as I mentioned before, Stealth is brutal on those recordings as they really sound deficient...

Stealth can't play fast and complex parts in a song, then they sound flat and compressed.
For testing headphones, one of my top albums is Daft Punk's Random Access Memories, an exceptionally engineered record. If you think Stealth can't perform in "fast and complex parts in a song", listen to the last track Contact, starting at 1:20 mark.
https://open.qobuz.com/track/9140036

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2021 at 6:37 AM Post #1,958 of 5,996
I agree this doesn't sound good at all, but this for me is not a good recording, and as I mentioned before, Stealth is brutal on those recordings as they really sound deficient...

For testing headphones, one of my top albums is Daft Punk's Random Access Memories, an exceptionally engineered record. If you think Stealth can't perform in "fast and complex parts in a song", listen to the last track Contact, starting at 1:20 mark.
https://open.qobuz.com/track/9140036
I sincerely hope you are referring to the nature of YouTube quality and not the production of this album.

vonBaron, you really need to cite something overtly complicated, fast and polished that displays the Stealth's detriment.

Maybe Periphery or The Faceless if you aren't into heavy/heavier technical death metal.

Oct 5, 2021 at 6:58 AM Post #1,959 of 5,996
Lately I'm a bit skeptical about this discussion, it seems to me that both the positive comments (Darkin, Nomax, etc) and the negative ones (VonB, Paradox) are getting a bit hyperbolic... passing between fiber earmuffs and the seventh wonder....

Oct 5, 2021 at 7:08 AM Post #1,960 of 5,996
I sincerely hope you are referring to the nature of YouTube quality and not the production of this album.

vonBaron, you really need to cite something overtly complicated, fast and polished that displays the Stealth's detriment.

Maybe Periphery or The Faceless if you aren't into heavy/heavier technical death metal.
Damn, sorry i picked bad track for Stealth. I will try better next time.

Oct 5, 2021 at 7:13 AM Post #1,961 of 5,996
Damn, sorry i picked bad track for Stealth. I will try better next time.
How about Omega as it has a great mix of, well, everything? Amalgamation of challenging deficiency.

Oct 5, 2021 at 7:30 AM Post #1,963 of 5,996
I spent 3 hours in a hotel room with the Stealth and a Centrance M8V2 (samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3 as a source)
I could listen to many tracks of some of my favorite playlists => I could compare with my usual IEM Xelento and IE900. I really had a big smile for those hours ultra low and low frequencies are all there with very nice, clear, deep and fast impacts (not really far from the HEDDphone famous kicks).
I am now waiting next weekend to have some real A/B comparison with the HEDDphone One, Ultasone Ed15 Veritas and even Sony Z7 M2 behind some proper Headphone Amp THX887 and a direct connection to a speaker's amp Sony TA N55ES. I imagine now that I shouldn't be surprised that the Stealth is the only one to be the most accurate headphone I own without any PEQ ...

Oct 5, 2021 at 7:56 AM Post #1,964 of 5,996
I spent 3 hours in a hotel room with the Stealth and a Centrance M8V2 (samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3 as a source)
I could listen to many tracks of some of my favorite playlists => I could compare with my usual IEM Xelento and IE900. I really had a big smile for those hours ultra low and low frequencies are all there with very nice, clear, deep and fast impacts (not really far from the HEDDphone famous kicks).
I am now waiting next weekend to have some real A/B comparison with the HEDDphone One, Ultasone Ed15 Veritas and even Sony Z7 M2 behind some proper Headphone Amp THX887 and a direct connection to a speaker's amp Sony TA N55ES. I imagine now that I shouldn't be surprised that the Stealth is the only one to be the most accurate headphone I own without any PEQ ...
Interested in your opinion because i have an ultrasone edition 5 ltd.

Oct 5, 2021 at 8:22 AM Post #1,965 of 5,996
I don't get what part of transparency and neutrality people do not grasp. This is pretty much a colorless headphone, which is why you have a well representation of complex natural sounds, and it reflects exactly how it was produced. There is no magic in hearing, it is all a relation of response our auditory system, timing / phase and psychology. If it wasn't, we wouldn't be talking about mixing, mastering and all those DSP modifications done during these right now. They work, because we have a lot of knowledge about how our hearing works and are able mathematically model and apply these.

Same thing also goes for HP design: Angle and position of the drivers, cavity, frequency response, resonances all alter some physical parameter to sound like an additional DSP effect. That V shape, reverberant sound, accentuated bass etc. that make it more fun, are all like an additional DSP effect. Stealth is like a HP without any DSP effects. If your recording is not recorded spaciously, it will sound like a small stage. That was why I was experiementing with DSP. Stealth's can be made to sound like a huge sounding fun headphone, easily. But then, it will not be accurate anymore.

Stealth has a flat speaker like dry sound. If you don't like that, there are other options for you out there. No need to continously bash it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back