Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Oct 5, 2021 at 8:25 AM Post #1,966 of 5,996
I spent 3 hours in a hotel room with the Stealth and a Centrance M8V2 (samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3 as a source)
I could listen to many tracks of some of my favorite playlists => I could compare with my usual IEM Xelento and IE900. I really had a big smile for those hours ultra low and low frequencies are all there with very nice, clear, deep and fast impacts (not really far from the HEDDphone famous kicks).
I am now waiting next weekend to have some real A/B comparison with the HEDDphone One, Ultasone Ed15 Veritas and even Sony Z7 M2 behind some proper Headphone Amp THX887 and a direct connection to a speaker's amp Sony TA N55ES. I imagine now that I shouldn't be surprised that the Stealth is the only one to be the most accurate headphone I own without any PEQ ...
About M17 FiiO just wrote: "Hi, from our latest test, the max output power of M17 is higher than 3W@32Ω". And that is per channel. It will drive Stealth like butter.

Oct 5, 2021 at 8:39 AM Post #1,967 of 5,996
Manufacture failures in a 4K headphone? You are kiddin.
He is not the first person telling Stealth sounds boring has no punch.
I've been through 2 pairs of the Susvara and 4 of the Abyss. Defects happen, even at these prices.

Oct 5, 2021 at 8:43 AM Post #1,968 of 5,996
I've been through 2 pairs of the Susvara and 4 of the Abyss. Your point?
I thought the Abyss issue was foreign matter getting on the driver after delivery. In any case, I've listened to four or five different Stealths and my impressions were consistent across all, so I tend to discount the manufacturing defect theory.

Oct 5, 2021 at 9:39 AM Post #1,969 of 5,996
So my stealth has arrived at my dealer. I'm picking them up in two days. But I'm still in a conundrum with dac/amp upgrade to get to "endgame" setup. I'd love some advice.

currently I have schiit magnius and Modius and run balanced xr

I'm thinking dac upgrade first, and then amp when $ allow (thinking an hpa4 in future)

I'm looking at rme adi-2 or benchmark dac3 as most likely candidates.
Both have pros and cons.

Can anyone give thoughts impressions recommendations or alternatives for me please?

Once I've got the new phones I'll give my impressions compared to aeon2 opens too.

I currently own the DAC3-B, but I've heard, demoed, and auditioned the RME ADI-2 DAC FS several times. To my ears, the DAC3 sounds better overall by a small margin, and more noticeably better with the Benchmark HPA4 as the amp.

However, if I were ever to buy another DAC for speakers or for a different amp or for a second amp, I'd buy the RME. In fact, I get pretty close to buying that thing for no justifiable reason fairly frequently. All those EQ and DSP options are pretty incredible, and while I don't EQ much at all, when I do it often makes the difference between selling a headphone and keeping it.

More importantly though, with any amp that doesn't accept the very hot pro output levels of the DAC3's XLR, you will need to change a tiny internal jumper. That involves opening the case, using static protection, and having a very deft hand. Not impossible, but certainly not something you want to do more than a few times. If you run that hypothetical other amp off of RCA, no problem though.

With the HPA4, I've never heard a combo that is cleaner, clearer, or more detailed. Whatever my audio journey, I'm only swapping out my Benchmark stack for a DAC4 and HPA5, once those finally exist.

Oct 5, 2021 at 10:07 AM Post #1,970 of 5,996
I currently own the DAC3-B, but I've heard, demoed, and auditioned the RME ADI-2 DAC FS several times. To my ears, the DAC3 sounds better overall by a small margin, and more noticeably better with the Benchmark HPA4 as the amp.
I am after a squeaky clean sound and the HPA4 is also on my list, but I wasn't sure how much of an audible difference it will bring over an RME ADI-2 Pro, if I am not driving a Susvara like hard to drive HP. Have you tried pairing the HPA4 with an ADI-2?

Oct 5, 2021 at 10:36 AM Post #1,971 of 5,996
I am after a squeaky clean sound and the HPA4 is also on my list, but I wasn't sure how much of an audible difference it will bring over an RME ADI-2 Pro, if I am not driving a Susvara like hard to drive HP. Have you tried pairing the HPA4 with an ADI-2?

I paired the HPA4 with the RME DAC quite a lot and in different configurations to try to rule out variables in the DAC3-B/RME comparisons. Ultimately, the differences between the two DACs were small, but consistent and noticeable. Mostly, the Benchmark DAC held an advantage in soundstage width, imaging clarity and separation, and bass tightness. Comparing the Benchmark stack to the RME as a DAC/amp, the Benchmarks had the same advantage, but also with more musical heft/impact and a greater sense of that resolution.

Oct 5, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #1,972 of 5,996
I paired the HPA4 with the RME DAC quite a lot and in different configurations to try to rule out variables in the DAC3-B/RME comparisons. Ultimately, the differences between the two DACs were small, but consistent and noticeable. Mostly, the Benchmark DAC held an advantage in soundstage width, imaging clarity and separation, and bass tightness. Comparing the Benchmark stack to the RME as a DAC/amp, the Benchmarks had the same advantage, but also with more musical heft/impact and a greater sense of that resolution.
Sounds like the benchmark is the way to go then.
I'm comfortable changing the internal jumper to temporarily suit my magnius until I can save up enough to switch over to the hpa4. Total stack cost will be 7k flat aud ($5100usd)

Oct 5, 2021 at 11:27 AM Post #1,973 of 5,996

Ok, here you have.

I actually like listening to David Maxim Micic and other similar artists (Intervals and Plini) on Stealth. To my ear, it does an excellent job of imaging and separating out all the different layers out of the mix.

Dynamics and slam are a bit flat sounding compared to other headphones I've tried (e.g. Focal Clear), but I'm not sure it's a speed problem as much as possibly an "overdamping" problem. I can see this being a dealbreaker, especially considering the cost of the headphone.

Also, speaking of testing for speed, I like using Jason Richardson for testing that :beyersmile:.

Oct 5, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #1,974 of 5,996
Another one just posted to the CanJam thread:

That is how trustable the personal impressions are. I don't want to into another measurements discussion, though.
This is similar to my response to the Stealth that I received. It has an unpleasant mid-range tonality, perhaps tilted to the upper-mids to make it sound detailed. And the bass is unacceptably anemic. Fortunately I'm within the 15 day return period. Mine is going back for refund. I far prefer my Meze Elite. I even prefer my Dan Clark Aeon2 Noire over the Stealth.

A caveat to my comments above: I am a senior with slight hearing loss, and I wear eyeglasses that probably spoil the headphone's seal, reducing the perceived bass. So I may hear the Stealth differently from others. I did appreciate the exceptional build quality and comfort.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2021 at 2:06 PM Post #1,975 of 5,996
This is similar to my response to the Stealth that I received. It has an unpleasant mid-range tonality, perhaps tilted to the upper-mids to make it sound detailed. And the bass is unacceptably anemic. Fortunately I'm within the 15 day return period. Mine is going back for refund. I far prefer my Meze Elite. I even prefer my Dan Clark Aeon2 Noire over the Stealth.
In the end, you have two great headphones, Elite and Empyrean. I prefer the more HT neutral lower upper mids balance of Stealth, and that is not new - my EQ settings for a similar tonality are there in some other HP threads. So I am happy that there is now Stealth. I am also hoping to try the Elite someday...

Oct 5, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #1,976 of 5,996
Two different pieces, same album, same vocalist, a similar musical structure but different vocal mix. With Stealth, the difference is quite audible. For me both are great, I even prefer the clarity of the second, but I can imagine someone coming from Empyrean and finding the second piece too forward.

First piece (Qobuz, YouTube), second piece (Qobuz, YouTube). The music you use for testing, even within the same album makes a difference. Empyrean and Stealth possibly have about 5 dB difference in mids and treble.

1633460526048.png

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #1,977 of 5,996
About M17 FiiO just wrote: "Hi, from our latest test, the max output power of M17 is higher than 3W@32Ω". And that is per channel. It will drive Stealth like butter.

That's what I was dreaming for a while .. a full dap features (Qobuz/Amazon, Neutron, UAPP, SD cards and SSD drive on USB-C).. with more than 2Wx2 or 2.5Wx2 real sustain power available ...
It should become, before Christmas, my travel combo machines => Stealth and M17 as guarantee for my home/garden freedom .................... and, when possible, just using Usb-C or Spdif output to some desktop high-end DAC & AMP.

Maybe, 2021 should be a very good year for very good portable sound system dedicated to all situations at Home/office/travel.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #1,978 of 5,996
Last edited:
Oct 5, 2021 at 3:51 PM Post #1,979 of 5,996
What makes the HE1 so special? And what the Stealth?

Both have a Tonality that shows no weakness.....you can listen both for hours ...every genre 👍

NOMAX

PS.if you want a piece of the performance of Wedemarks Flagship...there is only one answer to get close to them...S T E A L T H

HE1

19924BEA-861B-4163-A17B-20D14EFCD986.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2021 at 3:56 PM Post #1,980 of 5,996
Mmm... listening for hours with inoffensive tuning is boring! I prefer to listen for a couple of hours with great sparkle or warmth...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back