Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Oct 5, 2021 at 1:16 AM Post #1,936 of 5,996
So my stealth has arrived at my dealer. I'm picking them up in two days. But I'm still in a conundrum with dac/amp upgrade to get to "endgame" setup. I'd love some advice.

currently I have schiit magnius and Modius and run balanced xr

I'm thinking dac upgrade first, and then amp when $ allow (thinking an hpa4 in future)

I'm looking at rme adi-2 or benchmark dac3 as most likely candidates.
Both have pros and cons.

Can anyone give thoughts impressions recommendations or alternatives for me please?

Once I've got the new phones I'll give my impressions compared to aeon2 opens too.
RME has my vote, Three good other options depending on price point, Holo May the Matrix X-Sabre Pro or even Wells audio Tube dac

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2021 at 1:31 AM Post #1,937 of 5,996
So my stealth has arrived at my dealer. I'm picking them up in two days. But I'm still in a conundrum with dac/amp upgrade to get to "endgame" setup. I'd love some advice.

currently I have schiit magnius and Modius and run balanced xr

I'm thinking dac upgrade first, and then amp when $ allow (thinking an hpa4 in future)

I'm looking at rme adi-2 or benchmark dac3 as most likely candidates.
Both have pros and cons.

Can anyone give thoughts impressions recommendations or alternatives for me please?

Once I've got the new phones I'll give my impressions compared to aeon2 opens too.
Nice, congrats on the new headphones. You in lockdown?
I would recommend a DAC Upgrade too, given people have reported equalizing the Stealth headphones I believe RME allows you to do that?
If looking for a DAC only, you have so many options. Eg: Denafrips is an easy recommendation, just choose the model depending on your budget.
Also look at Chord TT2, most people use it in an amp/dac combo with really excellent performance.
I personally use something a little Niche, A Musical Paradise MP-D2 MK3 DAC
I have always enjoyed the Lampizator and the Holo Spring, have heard excellent things about the Border Patrol DAC.

Oct 5, 2021 at 1:43 AM Post #1,938 of 5,996
Nice, congrats on the new headphones. You in lockdown?
I would recommend a DAC Upgrade too, given people have reported equalizing the Stealth headphones I believe RME allows you to do that?
If looking for a DAC only, you have so many options. Eg: Denafrips is an easy recommendation, just choose the model depending on your budget.
Also look at Chord TT2, most people use it in an amp/dac combo with really excellent performance.
I personally use something a little Niche, A Musical Paradise MP-D2 MK3 DAC
I have always enjoyed the Lampizator and the Holo Spring, have heard excellent things about the Border Patrol DAC.
Yup,lockdown still :frowning2:
I don't eq so far but rme has that option along with higher res/bitrate etc so may be a bit more furureproof? It Also has the eq display which would be nice.
Not really interested in chord, and want a compact desktop system.

I'm pretty sold on the rme and dac3 I think, but what a rough choice.

Matching benchmark system with no frills and simplicity, or rme/benchmark with extra features at a lower pricepoint.

Such a hard decision. Argh!

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2021 at 3:00 AM Post #1,939 of 5,996
Another one just posted to the CanJam thread:

Screenshot_20211005-085545_Chrome.jpg

That is how trustable the personal impressions are. I don't want to into another measurements discussion, though.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2021 at 3:23 AM Post #1,941 of 5,996
Another one just posted to the CanJam thread:

Screenshot_20211005-085545_Chrome.jpg

That is how trustable the personal impressions are. I don't want to into another measurements discussion, though.
Has always been like that though.
Look at the Elite impressions for instance, they are all over the place even if those first impressions compare them to the same headphones.

Abyss 1266 Was similar in the beginning.
From "sounds weird and off" to "sounds amazing" everything Was covered

Oct 5, 2021 at 3:29 AM Post #1,942 of 5,996
Stealth can't play fast and complex parts in a song, then they sound flat and compressed.

Oct 5, 2021 at 4:13 AM Post #1,943 of 5,996
Has always been like that though.
Look at the Elite impressions for instance, they are all over the place even if those first impressions compare them to the same headphones.

Abyss 1266 Was similar in the beginning.
From "sounds weird and off" to "sounds amazing" everything Was covered
That really shows the necessity for the consumers to learn (at least those that cannot easily demo gear) how to interpret measurement data, and how that translates to their subjective taste. Also the manufacturers should provide the measurement data with background information like the measurement rig, compansation etc.

Oct 5, 2021 at 4:18 AM Post #1,944 of 5,996
Stealth can't play fast and complex parts in a song, then they sound flat and compressed.

Which song?

Did you have the Stealth inhouse?

Oct 5, 2021 at 4:21 AM Post #1,945 of 5,996
I'm wondering maybe there are some defective units ?
That was the case with first production bath of ether2 - some units were extremely dark/muted sounding.
Otherwise I don't know how there are so polarizing opinions.

Oct 5, 2021 at 4:24 AM Post #1,947 of 5,996
That was the case with first production bath of ether2 - some units were extremely dark/muted sounding.
I really hope so that is the case.

Oct 5, 2021 at 4:31 AM Post #1,949 of 5,996
I'm not convinced about that.
Meze Elite and Audeze LCD-5 are just as polarizing.

On the Elite it's mostly about the Bass, ranging from Bass light to as strong as Empyrean.

On the LCD-5 it Ranges from Borderline bright, to typical Audeze house sound.

It's harder to believe that all these manufacturers have severe unit Variation problems, than believing that those subjective early opinions have to be taken with a shitload of salt

Oct 5, 2021 at 4:45 AM Post #1,950 of 5,996

Users who are viewing this thread

Back