Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Sep 21, 2021 at 11:35 PM Post #1,681 of 5,996
How different would you say to Susvara? Is it more relaxed and smooth?
It does remind me of the Susvara due to its refined sound signature. I recall the Susvara having more separation and the midrange was less forward. I think they're both very smooth, but Stealth sounds more polite in terms of being able to make older and harsher recordings sound good.

Sep 21, 2021 at 11:41 PM Post #1,682 of 5,996
It does remind me of the Susvara due to its refined sound signature. I recall the Susvara having more separation and the midrange was less forward. I think they're both very smooth, but Stealth sounds more polite in terms of being able to make older and harsher recordings sound good.
Interesting :thinking:

Sep 21, 2021 at 11:44 PM Post #1,683 of 5,996
I’m A/B’ing the Wywires HP platinum cables and instant recognizeable tightening up and de-fuzzing notes across the audible spectrum, but very noticeably in the bass regions. This is all compared to the Vivo cable.

I do SO love the weight, softness and feel without any microphonics of the Vivo, definitely less marks in all these categories for wywires.

just in case we needed new can of worms here ! 🤪

Sep 22, 2021 at 12:25 AM Post #1,684 of 5,996
Thank you. Is it safe to assume that the two are actually more similar in overall tonality?

Sep 22, 2021 at 8:07 AM Post #1,686 of 5,996
- For anyone not using EQ and listening to vocals: I do not recommend Rögnir at all for your case, as the Rögnir has a big dip there. It works where the lower mids region is not really very important, like metal, but Rögnir needs EQ for fixing that.

- If you want something that is easily drivable from a portable, Stealth isn't the one. Rögnir is much easier to drive.

- Despite the ravings about the bass of Stealth to be too weak, it is not. Especially the subbass which can show a good presence, but only when it is there. Example is the Lhasa de Sela / Living Road album. You will hear different ranges of bass there, which might sound similar, for example, on Rögnir.

Sep 22, 2021 at 8:12 AM Post #1,687 of 5,996
- For anyone not using EQ and listening to vocals: I do not recommend Rögnir at all for your case, as the Rögnir has a big dip there. It works where the lower mids region is not really very important, like metal, but Rögnir needs EQ for fixing that.

- If you want something that is easily drivable from a portable, Stealth isn't the one. Rögnir is much easier to drive.

- Despite the ravings about the bass of Stealth to be too weak, it is not. Especially the subbass which can show a good presence, but only when it is there. Example is the Lhasa de Sela / Living Road album. You will hear different ranges of bass there, which might sound similar, for example, on Rögnir.
which would you recommend for metal/rock rognir or stealth without EQ.

Sep 22, 2021 at 8:43 AM Post #1,688 of 5,996
which would you recommend for metal/rock rognir or stealth without EQ.
I guess Rögnir would be the easier bet. It depends also on the albums you are listening to and how much you are used to hearing upper mids and treble with full energy and distortion, if you like more sparkle etc. It is brigter, closer to a V and has more fun factor. The hole in the low mids actually help with older recordings like Testament / Low, making them sound slightly clearer. But they _are_ brighter.

In the last days, I used Stealth to listen to everything, and I got used to the sound. Rögnir now sounds somewhat off in the tonality. But...with Rögnir you can experiment with pads for slight adjustments.

For me personally, it is Stealth, as it is tonally very natural and sounds correct. But hearing what the metal only listeners prefer, Rögnir sounds like better fit for a metal listener. Stealth is like listening to music in a well treated room with no reflections, echo. Incredible with acoustic music, vocals etc. Distorted guitar sounds like you have connected your headphone to an AxeFx processor (amplifier simulation) and you are hearing it. Very realistic. But might sound dull, as well.

As I am writing this, listening to Opeth Morningrise on Stealth.

Sep 22, 2021 at 9:30 AM Post #1,689 of 5,996
Thank you. Is it safe to assume that the two are actually more similar in overall tonality?
No, they're different enough from each other to keep both. Mids being the most noticeable difference. They're more similar to each other compared to the Abyss, though.

Sep 22, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #1,690 of 5,996
I guess Rögnir would be the easier bet. It depends also on the albums you are listening to and how much you are used to hearing upper mids and treble with full energy and distortion, if you like more sparkle etc. It is brigter, closer to a V and has more fun factor. The hole in the low mids actually help with older recordings like Testament / Low, making them sound slightly clearer. But they _are_ brighter.

In the last days, I used Stealth to listen to everything, and I got used to the sound. Rögnir now sounds somewhat off in the tonality. But...with Rögnir you can experiment with pads for slight adjustments.

For me personally, it is Stealth, as it is tonally very natural and sounds correct. But hearing what the metal only listeners prefer, Rögnir sounds like better fit for a metal listener. Stealth is like listening to music in a well treated room with no reflections, echo. Incredible with acoustic music, vocals etc. Distorted guitar sounds like you have connected your headphone to an AxeFx processor (amplifier simulation) and you are hearing it. Very realistic. But might sound dull, as well.

my favorite bands are Maynard's trifecta , Gojira , alice in chains , slipknot , architect(uk), other end of rock... Mars Volta, Glass animals, foal, modest mouse etc
ps these are bands with heavy vocal presence, I also like quite a few female vocalist mainly Japanese.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #1,691 of 5,996

Since I sold off my desktop gear, I only have the R8 and BX2 plus for portables, do you think the BX2 would be able to do justice in driving Stealth?

Sep 22, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #1,692 of 5,996
Robots can lift much heavier things than humans, but humans are still much better at fine motor skills. The car industry certainly would like to automate everything, but when installing wobbly fiddly things in tight spaces, humans still outperform robots handsomely.

When you design something to interface with a machine, absolutely go all in on measurements. But audio gear is ultimately intended to interface with ears hooked up to brains (and some machines as intermediaries), which work very differently from an analyzer. Which is why an analyzer can do things humans can't - and vice versa.

Good engineers use both type of tools to their advantage, while not losing track of the end goal: turning pressure waves into endorphins, which analyzers lack entirely.

Maybe if we start using artificial neural nets in measurement rigs they come closer to being sufficient on their own, but we're certainly not there yet.
I do wonder now if neural network would assist in future for audio companies, I can't see why not! Since audio is such a subjective field, it would require a huge data set across the frequency region, quite interesting!

Sep 22, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #1,693 of 5,996
I do wonder now if neural network would assist in future for audio companies

Some companies or research projects already use them to create individualised HRTFs based on anthropomorphic data derived from images of an individual's anatomical features (head, ears) after training them on a data set.
There is a lot of research in that area going on ATM.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2021 at 9:11 PM Post #1,695 of 5,996
Which is fuller sounding- Stealth or Susvara? (Q. for those who have heard both)
Fuller sounding, that's an interesting one. Can you describe more specifically what you mean by "full sounding"? If you mean sounds thick, I would say Stealth because it has less separation than the Susvara. The bass, mids, and treble in the Susvara seem to be more spaced apart. The Stealth blends the bass, mids, and treble in a way that seems more cohesive, but also more congested than the Susvara.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back