Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Sep 20, 2021 at 11:20 PM Post #1,651 of 5,996
goes to show you how subjective this hobby is...I have heard several people I trust tell me to stay away from the r10p ...so it goes,interesting
I feel that many people in the R10P thread simply discount the headphones because Hifiman “stole” the cup design from Sony. There’s a lot of nostalgia with the Sony MDR-R10, but not with me. I couldn’t care less that they have the same cup design.

For closed-back headphones with Bluetooth capabilities, it is a great pair of cans. It’s not Susvara levels in terms of detail, but it is more detailed and dynamic than the ZMF VCs, which I had and sold. I haven’t heard the Stealth or the Rognir, but I’m curious about both. Still, the Hifiman R10P is definitely the most convenient pair of headphones, given the option to go wireless with Bluetooth and still sound very good

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2021 at 11:36 PM Post #1,652 of 5,996
I feel that many people in the R10P thread simply discount the headphones because Hifiman “stole” the cup design from Sony. There’s a lot of nostalgia with the Sony MDR-R10, but not with me. I couldn’t care less that they have the same cup design.

For closed-back headphones with Bluetooth capabilities, it is a great pair of cans. It’s not Susvara levels in terms of detail, but it is more detailed and dynamic than the ZMF VCs, which I had and sold. I haven’t heard the Stealth or the Rognir, but I’m curious about both. Still, the Hifiman R10P is definitely the most convenient pair of headphones, given the option to go wireless with Bluetooth and still sound very good
Despite HiFiMan's sleazy business practices and intolerable treatment of employees, their R10P simply sounds fantastic.

Sep 21, 2021 at 4:43 AM Post #1,653 of 5,996
I recently got the Hifiman R10P, which I think is one of the best closed backs you can buy (and absolutely the best pair of Bluetooth headphones you can buy, when you use the BlueMini add on). You might want to take a look at those too. They are more expensive than the Stealth though.

I had the ZMF VCs in the past and didn’t like them, and I think the R10P is much better. Maybe Stellia might be another one to consider too
I was dead set on buying the R10-P but backed off due to all the reviews flaming them. @Resolve said they had the "worst tuning in any headphone, ever " :)) . I'm not a fan of the Stellia. Let's take this over PM though :D

Sep 21, 2021 at 4:51 AM Post #1,654 of 5,996
IMHO you won't gain anything from "upgrading."
I'm sure a lot of people here would beg to differ, especially on the dac side, for the amp i agree.
Ok thanks.
Any other opinions?
I was considering moving to a bifrost2 dac at least. Or mabey looking at a burson conductor 3x reference.

Still unsure and will use the stealth on the schiit stack for a while to burn in and a/b with aeon2 opens. Then consider upgrading after I've listened for a while I guess
IMO there's an easy and safe upgrade path for you. Just use what Dan's using. The TT2. It can replace your stack (and blow it away in SQ) + you can add the M-scaler down the line for a big improvement.
I know it's expensive. I started out reading ASR and believing everything is snake oil. I barely convinced myself to get a 2k dac/amp (Sony TA-ZH1ES). When i took it to compare with the TT2 and Dave it took me 10 seconds to decide on the Dave, irrespective of the price. Saved up and got it a couple of months later. I'm not sure if the ADI-2 or anything in that price range would be a worthwhile improvement over your current set up, but i am sure the TT2 will. You can always audition first, plus they have pretty good resale value.

Sep 21, 2021 at 4:58 AM Post #1,655 of 5,996
I'm sure a lot of people here would beg to differ, especially on the dac side, for the amp i agree.

IMO there's an easy and safe upgrade path for you. Just use what Dan's using. The TT2. It can replace your stack (and blow it away in SQ) + you can add the M-scaler down the line for a big improvement.
I know it's expensive. I started out reading ASR and believing everything is snake oil. I barely convinced myself to get a 2k dac/amp (Sony TA-ZH1ES). When i took it to compare with the TT2 and Dave it took me 10 seconds to decide on the Dave, irrespective of the price. Saved up and got it a couple of months later. I'm not sure if the ADI-2 or anything in that price range would be a worthwhile improvement over your current set up, but i am sure the TT2 will. You can always audition first, plus they have pretty good resale value.
If you are using a computer as source (especially with an nvidia / CUDA graphics card) you can also use the HQPlayer to do the upsampling, instead of Mscaler:

https://www.signalyst.com/consumer.html

Sep 21, 2021 at 5:23 AM Post #1,656 of 5,996

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate all the help.
Glad to know the amp is scalable and I can just focus on the dac!
As for chord..... I'm not a huge fan of the designs, and most certainly not the prices! The Dave is worth more than my CAR. I'm new enough to audio that I dont think I would be able to hear or justify their prices.

Rule of thumb for me at this point in time is if it costs more than the headphones, it's not viable for now.

I'd love to hear any other suggestions for dacs or dac/amp combos that you would consider a worthy upgrade (mabey just not chord)

I also hear that schitt have been porting over some of their stuff to fpga, so wondering if there's a chance in the next 12 months or so we might see a new line aff-chord-able fpga products pop up.
(God I hope they use that in their marketing!)

Sep 21, 2021 at 5:43 AM Post #1,657 of 5,996
If you are using a computer as source (especially with an nvidia / CUDA graphics card) you can also use the HQPlayer to do the upsampling, instead of Mscaler:

https://www.signalyst.com/consumer.html
3080 ti :D I recently switched from my pc as a source to a dedicated streamer. After arguing with half of head-fi for a year that it doesn't make a difference. Sometimes the crazies are right.
What sold me on it was that there was a noticeable difference in sq when i switched from a Corsair RM650 psu to a Corsair AX1000. And i was using an optical connection, so clearly no noise was transmitted that way. And the PSU upgrade was for gaming, was not expecting there to be any kind of sound quality difference. It took me a week to realize that's why stuff sounded better. Either way, super happy with the current streamer vs the pc as a source.

Sep 21, 2021 at 6:02 AM Post #1,658 of 5,996
I'm new enough to audio that I dont think I would be able to hear or justify their prices.
Yes justification definitely gets easier over time :p
I'd love to hear any other suggestions for dacs or dac/amp combos that you would consider a worthy upgrade (mabey just not chord)
The only other thing i was looking at was the DCS Bartok, but that makes Dave look cheap. I know people seem to love their ADI-2's as well but if you're happy for the time being i suggest you keep your money, enjoy what you have and when audio becomes a priority again you can listen the top contenders at that point in time and decide.
This is fresh off the presses, literally just came out. I know it's still Chord but a lot cheaper. And doesn't look half bad. :
https://www.stereonet.com/uk/news/c...-s26BhCO4JTYckN69YzE7MA0C4Rbi34mjfxJXKF4LNNsU
Rule of thumb for me at this point in time
Well put, mine keep changing all the time as well. I have no regrets so far though.

Sep 21, 2021 at 6:18 AM Post #1,659 of 5,996
3080 ti :D I recently switched from my pc as a source to a dedicated streamer. After arguing with half of head-fi for a year that it doesn't make a difference. Sometimes the crazies are right.
What sold me on it was that there was a noticeable difference in sq when i switched from a Corsair RM650 psu to a Corsair AX1000. And i was using an optical connection, so clearly no noise was transmitted that way. And the PSU upgrade was for gaming, was not expecting there to be any kind of sound quality difference. It took me a week to realize that's why stuff sounded better. Either way, super happy with the current streamer vs the pc as a source.
Agreed using my pi2aes is just more enjoyable vs my PC even if I do have a seasonic titanium psu.

Sep 21, 2021 at 6:18 AM Post #1,660 of 5,996
Yes justification definitely gets easier over time :p
mabey one day, but not now sadly. Too many other money sponges surrounding me currently lol.

The only other thing i was looking at was the DCS Bartok, but that makes Dave look cheap. I know people seem to love their ADI-2's as well but if you're happy for the time being i suggest you keep your money, enjoy what you have and when audio becomes a priority again you can listen the top contenders at that point in time and decide.
This is fresh off the presses, literally just came out. I know it's still Chord but a lot cheaper. And doesn't look half bad. :
https://www.stereonet.com/uk/news/c...-s26BhCO4JTYckN69YzE7MA0C4Rbi34mjfxJXKF4LNNsU

Well put, mine keep changing all the time as well. I have no regrets so far though.
Looks interesting. But still not my cup of tea or suited to my needs I don't think.

Oh I'm probably gunna be sticking with balanced xlr for time being too, I forgot to mention.

Hence interest in the top end Bursons and schitt. So I can retain current cables without the need for extras or adapters etc.

Although I DO have a SE dummer cable from.my aeon2's somewhere I think... So can at least test amps one day hopefully.

If your super passionate about the chords I will happy except one as a donation haha!

Sep 21, 2021 at 6:24 AM Post #1,661 of 5,996
mabey one day, but not now sadly. Too many other money sponges surrounding me currently lol.

Looks interesting. But still not my cup of tea or suited to my needs I don't think.

Oh I'm probably gunna be sticking with balanced xlr for time being too, I forgot to mention.

Hence interest in the top end Bursons and schitt. So I can retain current cables without the need for extras or adapters etc.

Although I DO have a SE dummer cable from.my aeon2's somewhere I think... So can at least test amps one day hopefully.

If your super passionate about the chords I will happy except one as a donation haha!
I would recommend the soloist 3xp from burson I love it :) but I won't lie the reason why I purchase it was to drive my he6se.

Sep 21, 2021 at 6:39 AM Post #1,662 of 5,996
I would recommend the soloist 3xp from burson I love it :) but I won't lie the reason why I purchase it was to drive my he6se.
Well, my schiit modius is still ok, so a soloist would be un-needed.
If I were going burson id probably go all out on a composer 3x reference and sell the old stack.
However research shows they had a few teething issues early on, as well as polarising info on the burson opamps and sadly can't find many measurements or data to back up the reviews people have published.

So am very unsure about what if any direction to head.
I'll still have to listen to the stealth once they arrive and compare them to aeon2, but I recon I will need to step up the dac game at a minimum.

Sep 21, 2021 at 6:42 AM Post #1,663 of 5,996
Well, my schiit modius is still ok, so a soloist would be un-needed.
If I were going burson id probably go all out on a composer 3x reference and sell the old stack.
However research shows they had a few teething issues early on, as well as polarising info on the burson opamps and sadly can't find many measurements or data to back up the reviews people have published.

So am very unsure about what if any direction to head.
I'll still have to listen to the stealth once they arrive and compare them to aeon2, but I recon I will need to step up the dac game at a minimum.
Soloist is a amp also soloist imo is better than the all in one solution burson offers of dac/amp so I'd pair the soloist with a different dac. I'd leave that up to the dac guys to figure out. I use a burl b2 bomber dac which is high end Delta sigma...

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2021 at 6:53 AM Post #1,664 of 5,996
Well, good for you. :) As an engineer, objectivist foremost, and as someone that believes and knows that there is more than meets the eye in the human psychology (which actually meets the eye on a global scale looking at the practices of humans in case of a pandemic dealing with a difficult to grasp situation), I rather keep my objectivity and trust the science.

That said, I also have the T+A HA200, which costs not too far off from DAVE, running a 3090 and 24 core system infront of me to experiement with upsampling etc., plus I am fortunate enough that my objectivity and analytic thinking has earned me an OK life that I can afford any headphone gear I want. But I would rather keep my feet on the analytical grounds, as there is a lot of BS in this industry. People claim they hear things the measurment devices cannot, but it is often otherwise is true that measurement devices are much more precise and sensitive than humans. Whether someone likes the outcome or not, that is another subject.

Enjoy your gear. :) It is in the end what matters.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2021 at 6:56 AM Post #1,665 of 5,996
Tell me about it, we just bought a new place and we'll have to start furnishing it in a few months. I barely got the 3080 ti ,ps5 and streamer past the gf, new headphones will definitely hit some roadblocks :D
Well it's the best thing i've heard, i still prefer the Mojo to other 2k dacs. I've already donated it to my brother though :p Started out 7-8 years ago with 100$ headphones and 100$ dac/amp. Stepped up gradually as my income and interest did. I think unless you go through multiple tiers of gear you won't appreciate the improvements. And even after a long period ,whether or not something is worth it to you is a personal decision. No gear is worth losing a good night's sleep :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back