Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Sep 23, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #1,713 of 5,996
We are shipping daily, demand has been very high so there’s a backlog.

Thanks for the input. Congrats on the immediate success!

I noticed that your site states an order requires two weeks to fulfill. Do orders direct from DCA take priority over other vendors?

I ordered a pair September 1st from another store well known to this board.

Sep 23, 2021 at 7:09 PM Post #1,715 of 5,996
Maybe the word I am looking for is "meatier." The TC is meatier than the Susvara which is airier (smaller soundstage but airier presentation). By the way- never said the Susvara is thin sounding. I said thinner than the TC.

I can't believe everyone else does not hear it like this. It is so clear to me. I guess all our perceptions are different.
I know what you mean 😉

Sep 23, 2021 at 7:23 PM Post #1,716 of 5,996
Thanks for the input. Congrats on the immediate success!

I noticed that your site states an order requires two weeks to fulfill. Do orders direct from DCA take priority over other vendors?

I ordered a pair September 1st from another store well known to this board.
We try to keep it so lead time is fairly consistent regardless of where you shop but obviously we can't control or track how much backorder specific partners have. Our backorder is going up to three weeks, we can't keep up.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Sep 23, 2021 at 7:44 PM Post #1,718 of 5,996
We try to keep it so lead time is fairly consistent regardless of where you shop but obviously we can't control or track how much backorder specific partners have. Our backorder is going up to three weeks, we can't keep up.

Thanks for the reply and being continuously engaged in the thread. I'm really looking forward to receiving them and giving them a good listen. Anxiously awaiting a shipping notification...

Sep 24, 2021 at 8:16 AM Post #1,719 of 5,996
It's really unfortunate that the macro-dynamics impressions these left on some have consumed this thread instead of talk of how these present details in the most natural way. I had another late night of listening and, I'm pretty confidently adding these to my faves list in my signature below. They are never fatiguing, yet I am hearing details, especially in the midrange that no other headphone have brought out before.

Vocals are this headphone's strong point, IMO. Not only can you hear the vocal track extremely clearly, including when the track cuts in and out, any hiss or other noise picked up by the microphone can immediately be heard. I am understanding lyrics way better than I ever have. Not only that, the singers facial expression, their breath, expression, vibrato, and most of all EMOTION are conveyed in a jaw-dropping manner that makes me want to listen more and more.

I know I keep pointing out the midrange, but bass and treble are also presented in a very refined manner. Due to the midrange being the highlight, you notice less details of the bass and treble, but they're there, just never in your face.

As with most DCA headphones, these take a while to truly appreciate and I believe I hit that last night. I will be adding these to my collection (and can't wait to try the open back version).

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2021 at 8:44 AM Post #1,720 of 5,996
It's really unfortunate that the macro-dynamics impressions these left on some have consumed this thread instead of talk of how these present details in the most natural way. I had another late night of listening and, I'm pretty confidently adding these to my faves list in my signature below. They are never fatiguing, yet I am hearing details, especially in the midrange that no other headphone have brought out before. Vocals are this headphones strong point, IMO. Not only can you hear the vocal track extremely clearly, including when the track cuts in and out, any hiss or other noise picked up by the microphone can immediately be heard. I am understanding lyrics way better than I ever have. Not only that, the singers facial expression, their breath, expression, vibrato, and most of all EMOTION are conveyed in a jaw-dropping manner that makes me want to listen more and more. I know I keep pointing out the midrange, but bass and treble are also presented in a very refined manner. Due to the midrange being the highlight, you notice less details of the bass and treble, but they're there, just never in your face. As with most DCA headphones, these take a while to truly appreciate and I believe I hit that last night. I will be adding these to my collection (and can't wait to try the open back version).
It is really unfortunate, isn't it. This incredible HP has been bashed by some just because it is not their favorite presentation. The suggested "better" closed back Rögnir ruins the mids, especially female vocals. One of my first posts was about hearing a breathing from my wife's album that I heard so many times, at different stages. I listened to even death metal with it, like old Morbid Angel, and even with such a music I was able to understand the lyrics clearer.

I don't think I will be buying any other HPs until the OB version of these come out.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #1,721 of 5,996
Listening to recordings that before I considered vocally strident were now engaging and pleasant with the Stealth. I've listened to Allman Brothers Fillmore East literally hundreds of times. I could hear rhythm guitar parts I've never picked up on before. True it is audio-geek stuff but still.........Also vocals aren't smeared in choral recordings from listening to Bach Christmas Oratorio. Yo-Yo Ma Bach Cello Suite was also the best I've heard from my rig. I would also like to add that having burned these in so far to 70 hours I have ZERO issues with bass. I believe those who have bass issues prefer a bloated less defined bass response.
My only complaint with these is the faux leather box. I'm sure it's for people who need this to imply the headphones are pricey/cool/neat-o. I would have been happy with something a bit more simplistic and understated since they already have the zipper carrying case. Make that cooler and bit more bomb-proof. But I am a design snob.

Sep 24, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #1,722 of 5,996
Three consecutive positive reviews without "slam" being an issue? Is this still the DCA Stealth thread?

Sep 24, 2021 at 3:09 PM Post #1,723 of 5,996
Has there been any comparisons with the Aeon 2 Noire?

I'm stealth-curious, but I don't think I'll take the risk if this is just a slightly improved Noire (which I have and classify as good enough, but no better.

Sep 24, 2021 at 3:21 PM Post #1,724 of 5,996
Has there been any comparisons with the Aeon 2 Noire?

I'm stealth-curious, but I don't think I'll take the risk if this is just a slightly improved Noire (which I have and classify as good enough, but no better.
There’s a noticeable difference between the noire and the Stealth. The stealth feels more open, with more layering and detail. I haven’t done a proper comparison but I have owned the Noire for quite sometime. Stealth is definitely and noticeably “better” but the Noire has a more consistent sound presentation. As mentioned before the Stealth vary a lot on how they present music depending on the specific track, Noire have a more consistent and predictable presentation.

So:
  • Is the noire good enough for most people? Yes.
  • Is there a noticeable difference between Noire and Stealth? Yes.
  • Is it worth the price difference? If you have the disposable income to do so, go for it.
  • Are you going to enjoy the Stealth more than Noire with the specific music you listen to? Maybe, you’ll have to give it a try.
  • Do I ever feel the need to get the Noire instead of the Stealth? No, but that’s just me.
I’m overall impressed and satisfied with the Stealth, but for the time being I’ll be also keeping the Noire.

Sep 24, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #1,725 of 5,996
In terms of what I consider "refined" (which I'm learning might strongly correlate with the harman target frequency response), I put the Stealth at the top so far...

The OG Abyss 1266 started out rather unrefined with an edge, which made them slam and have this bombastic character. As they have released revisions, like phi and TC, it continues to become more refined, but even the TC is not nearly as refined as the Stealth. But, they slam and they're fun as hell, I'll continue to own and enjoy them.

The Susvara is right in the middle. It is refined, yet still has a bit of an edge, making it my recommendation for best all-rounder TOTL headphone. It can be fun, it can be smooth, it can slam, it all depends on the recording and equipment you use.

My initial thought of selling the Susvara to get the Stealth because I wanted more of a contrast with the Abyss turned out to be totally right for me. The Abyss and the Stealth share very little in common, other than their power requirements. They fill in each others gaps perfectly!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back