Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Sep 22, 2021 at 9:52 PM Post #1,696 of 5,996
I'm not a huge fan of the overplayed Another Brick in the Wall pt 2, but I'm listening to the MFSL release of the Wall on the Stealth tonight. The kids screaming "we don't need no education" sound better than they ever have. It's one of those sections where I am always tempted to reach for the volume to lower it slightly, not on the Stealth, they sound like they were mixed for these headphones.

Sep 23, 2021 at 12:06 AM Post #1,697 of 5,996
I'm not a huge fan of the overplayed Another Brick in the Wall pt 2, but I'm listening to the MFSL release of the Wall on the Stealth tonight. The kids screaming "we don't need no education" sound better than they ever have. It's one of those sections where I am always tempted to reach for the volume to lower it slightly, not on the Stealth, they sound like they were mixed for these headphones.
Hmmm. I've heard that song dozens of times on various systems and never felt the urge to turn down that section. Fun fact: I saw the original tour of that album in LA (8th row, center), and it's still far and away the best concert I've ever seen from a sound quality and production standpoint! I also highly recommend the DVD of The Wall: Live in Berlin, FWIW. I haven't listened to the album itself in years, but I do watch that DVD sometimes when I want to flashback to the original concert experience, even though all of the guest artists make it a much different show than what I saw.

Sep 23, 2021 at 12:24 AM Post #1,698 of 5,996
Fuller sounding, that's an interesting one. Can you describe more specifically what you mean by "full sounding"? If you mean sounds thick, I would say Stealth because it has less separation than the Susvara. The bass, mids, and treble in the Susvara seem to be more spaced apart. The Stealth blends the bass, mids, and treble in a way that seems more cohesive, but also more congested than the Susvara.
Yes- thick is what I meant, but not sure I understand your explanation. TC is much THICKER sounding than SUSVARA with no added congestion.

Sep 23, 2021 at 1:54 AM Post #1,699 of 5,996
Hmmm. I've heard that song dozens of times on various systems and never felt the urge to turn down that section. Fun fact: I saw the original tour of that album in LA (8th row, center), and it's still far and away the best concert I've ever seen from a sound quality and production standpoint! I also highly recommend the DVD of The Wall: Live in Berlin, FWIW. I haven't listened to the album itself in years, but I do watch that DVD sometimes when I want to flashback to the original concert experience, even though all of the guest artists make it a much different show than what I saw.
That was an interesting concert with all the guests. If I recall, Van Morrison did Comfortably Numb and I think Joni Mitchell was on another song.

Sep 23, 2021 at 1:59 AM Post #1,700 of 5,996
Yes- thick is what I meant, but not sure I understand your explanation. TC is much THICKER sounding than SUSVARA with no added congestion.
These terms can mean different things to different people, which makes it difficult without explanation of what they mean. I'm not I would describe the TC as thick or thicker than the Susvara. Are you referring to bass specifically when describing the TC as thicker than the Susvara?

Sep 23, 2021 at 2:11 AM Post #1,701 of 5,996
These terms can mean different things to different people, which makes it difficult without explanation of what they mean. I'm not I would describe the TC as thick or thicker than the Susvara. Are you referring to bass specifically when describing the TC as thicker than the Susvara?
I am not good at identifying frequencies. Overall- the TC to my ears is a fuller or thicker sound; don't know if it only the bass or the whole package. The Susvara is thinner and airier IMHO. So I'm wondering where the Stealth falls- but I guess it can't be answered if we can't agree on what terms mean what. So I appreciate your efforts....

Sep 23, 2021 at 2:21 AM Post #1,702 of 5,996
I am not good at identifying frequencies. Overall- the TC to my ears is a fuller or thicker sound; don't know if it only the bass or the whole package. The Susvara is thinner and airier IMHO. So I'm wondering where the Stealth falls- but I guess it can't be answered if we can't agree on what terms mean what. So I appreciate your efforts....
Yes, seems like we have differing opinions on this. I think the Abyss TC is more airy and open than the Susvara. Also I wouldn't describe the Susvara as thin sounding. Actually, I wouldn't describe any of the three headphones we're talking about as thin or thick sounding.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2021 at 2:25 AM Post #1,703 of 5,996
I can see a bridged understanding with regards to bass but wouldn't have used the term thick. TC is too open, airy and fast like an electrostat.

Sep 23, 2021 at 3:07 AM Post #1,704 of 5,996
Maybe the word I am looking for is "meatier." The TC is meatier than the Susvara which is airier (smaller soundstage but airier presentation). By the way- never said the Susvara is thin sounding. I said thinner than the TC.

I can't believe everyone else does not hear it like this. It is so clear to me. I guess all our perceptions are different.

Sep 23, 2021 at 3:22 AM Post #1,705 of 5,996
I do enjoy the Stealths, but it hasn't been love at first listen. I find the headphones I love from the first listen are the ones that stick with me for a while. That's the way it was with the LCD-2, HE1000v1, and now the Clairvoyance and Susvara.

No, I haven't put 200 hours on the Stealth's. I still haven't decided if I'm keeping or returning.
Well, it's two days past the return period, and the Stealth's are still with me. I guess I'm keeping them.

Sep 23, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #1,710 of 5,996
Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back