Dan Clark Audio EXPANSE Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Oct 14, 2023 at 9:34 PM Post #2,371 of 2,599
... DCA Aeon 2 Noire (zizzy treble; definitely needs EQ) ...

If I may offer another perspective: it definitely needs the tuning pads included in the package (filters to be placed in front of the driver), Dan just leaves it to the customer to select the ones that fit his or her preferences.

These filters only impact the FR from 4kHz up to 20kHz:
1697332211241.png

Some enjoy the Noire without any of these pads, I guess they listen at low volumes or are insensitive to harshness in the upper registers.

I replicated Dan's own configuration: a combination of two pads, the one-notch white on top of the one-notch black (which corresponds to the blue line on the graph).

This level of filtering is perfect for listening to the Noire at quite high volume. I'm driving mine on a Flux Lab FA-10 Limited Edition at high gain and pot at 12:30, to give an idea.

1000042652.jpg

Here are Dan's posts explaining things:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-audio-aeon-2-noire-review.46055/post-1643036
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-audio-aeon-2-noire-review.46055/post-1643697

A2N are great headphones, once you find the configuration that suits you.

Sorry for derailing the Expanse thread a bit, but thought it useful.

Here's what I'm listening right now to illustrate :
1000042657.jpg

Grisman's mandolin is perfectly pitched, ultra vivid and non-distorted. A thing of beauty.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2023 at 10:08 PM Post #2,372 of 2,599
I'm adding that I would very much love to have an Expanse of my own.

And a Stealth. 😄

I clearly remember when a friend made me listen to the first Ether (Open) years after its release.

I then became really interested in Dan's work. Had a Stealth on loan from my dear Pierre (headonist.fr) for a few weeks, it delighted me, with my iFi Pro ensemble.

Then a hush-hush Parisian gathering where I was treated to the Expanse on select sources and amplifiers.

Tipping my hat to Dan & crew.

1000042659.jpg

Another marvel of liveliness, this track and all of the album. Magical moment.

PS. never miss the chance to enjoy @davidmolliere 's Stealth whenever I visit him.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2023 at 1:34 AM Post #2,373 of 2,599
If I may offer another perspective: it definitely needs the tuning pads included in the package (filters to be placed in front of the driver), Dan just leaves it to the customer to select the ones that fit his or her preferences.

When you compare the frequency response of the Expanse (red) and Aeon (green) measured by Oratory, it is easy to explain the different timbres and the way the Acoustic Metamaterial Tuning System seems to flatten the response for the Expanse. You can hear some effect of the AMTS, by listening at the driver of the Expanse on both sides of the cup; it is quite some brighter on the outside direction of the cup.

Screenshot 2023-10-11 at 08.39.43.jpg

I see Dan already posted EQ settings to straighten things out for the Aeon in the post you refer to.

Oct 15, 2023 at 4:28 PM Post #2,374 of 2,599
I see Dan already posted EQ settings to straighten things out for the Aeon in the post you refer to.
Indeed. I was waiting to confirm my choice of tuning pad combination before trying his pmEQ settings. The most noticeable change is the 110Hz attenuation, it does indeed the Noire a more reference low end, useful for me when the double-bass has too much bloom on certain recordings. The ironing of the upper registers is fine tuning.

I find both technologies - AMTS & tuning pads - very well executed. Ability to adapt the HP to one's tastes for the "accessible" model and masterful precision in the correction of standing waves but fixed signature on the flagship models.

Factor in the high level of comfort and elegant designs, and you get a worthy investment in music listening appreciation.

An adequate amplification is the only requisite, provided you like DCA's approach to sound.

I'll be bringing my FA-10 LE to @davidmolliere 's ASAP to try his Stealth on it, that's for sure :)

Oct 19, 2023 at 12:17 PM Post #2,375 of 2,599
Wise choice!
Welcome to the Club of happy Expanse owners

The main reason for me personally here is in the room representation👍, Dan is one of the few who have recognized that headphones should not be constructed too open, because that has the consequence that space as well as separation of the voices as well as separation in the openness would be lost
(Tonally, however, I am not completely satisfied with Expanse, expressed as a percentage, 80 out of a possible 100,Stealth 90%)

NOMAX

PS.lol

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2023 at 12:20 PM Post #2,376 of 2,599
The main reason for me personally here is in the room representation, Dan is one of the few who have recognized that headphones should not be constructed too open, because that has the consequence that space as well as separation of the voices as well as separation in the openness would be lost

NOMAX

PS.lol
Dan certainly knows a lot about headphone design.

Always looking forward to new releases, the last 3 have been total winners in my book

Oct 25, 2023 at 4:05 PM Post #2,377 of 2,599
Since there are a bunch of you that own both...Considering adding either the Utopia 2022 or the Expanse to my "collection" in addition to Stealth and Ca-1a. I already got rid of the Elites, Dk8k Pro Le, would not add LCD-5, Susvara, or Abyss...I wasn't even impressed with HE1, so X9000 in the future also doesn't make sense for me.
TLDR everything kind of sounds like crap after Stealth. One one hand, I might be in the camp that prefers Stealth to Expanse, but I would like some more air and slam when I don't have to use closed backs. On the other hand, Utopia might give me more slam, but i'm not sure they would be as enjoyable coming from Stealth. That midrange is to die for, and bass seems spot on for me. Everything else also sounds muffled in comparison and just..muddy.
Source chain and power considerations are not an issue, when I travel with the Stealth, I take the HM1 and Mojo with me. Still a disappointment compared to the full stack, but such is life.

Oct 25, 2023 at 6:40 PM Post #2,378 of 2,599
Since there are a bunch of you that own both...Considering adding either the Utopia 2022 or the Expanse to my "collection" in addition to Stealth and Ca-1a. I already got rid of the Elites, Dk8k Pro Le, would not add LCD-5, Susvara, or Abyss...I wasn't even impressed with HE1, so X9000 in the future also doesn't make sense for me.
TLDR everything kind of sounds like crap after Stealth. One one hand, I might be in the camp that prefers Stealth to Expanse, but I would like some more air and slam when I don't have to use closed backs. On the other hand, Utopia might give me more slam, but i'm not sure they would be as enjoyable coming from Stealth. That midrange is to die for, and bass seems spot on for me. Everything else also sounds muffled in comparison and just..muddy.
Source chain and power considerations are not an issue, when I travel with the Stealth, I take the HM1 and Mojo with me. Still a disappointment compared to the full stack, but such is life.

If you already have the Stealth, I think that's one reason to look into the other direction. But take my opinion there with a grain of salt, as I've only heard the Stealth once. But it shared a lot of general qualities and sounded like a closed variant as expected to my ears. I would absolutely defer to others there.

As far as the Utopia 2022, coming from the Expanse it will definitely sound a bit muffled or less clear, and I do also think that's possible from the Stealth from what I heard. But it will definitely be a differently flavor with its more warm leaning (while not being that warm) sound. It's also a step up bass impact wise.. that said, it is very closed in soundstage wise and for me lacks the resolution wow factor that the Expanse has. But from my perspective, probably the better companion here.

Oct 26, 2023 at 11:58 PM Post #2,379 of 2,599
What taps do you use on the 800i
And could you provide a photo
Sorry, I was away from home for a while and missed a lot of replies. I use the 16 ohm taps. A photo of what, the R800i? It looks like this:
sddefault.jpg
thanks for sharing. I have a HA Spring --> Bliss > Expanse.
Wondering how much of a tube experience you got with the Freya+
It mainly added harmonics, everything gets that "richness". It's not a huge difference but one of those things where you notice yourself grooving/toe tapping to the music more after a while with the tube-pre vs without it.

Are you able to try your Stealth on a speaker amp? I've never really been able to get the full slam out of my Expanse until I hooked it up to high current speaker amps. Even my Holo Bliss which is quite powerful still comes up a touch short vs my 48W and 100W amps. I assume Stealth would be similar.

Personally I hardly listen to my Utopia anymore ever since I got the Expanse. Perhaps a controversial opinion but even in bass slam, I don't think the Utopia wins against the Expanse unless you hook up the Utopia to an amp with high output impedance that causes bass to be increased. The Expanse has some of the most slam of all my headphones (when on high current speaker amps). Can see why people think it lacks slam on most headphone amps though.

Oct 27, 2023 at 3:23 AM Post #2,380 of 2,599
Are you able to try your Stealth on a speaker amp? I've never really been able to get the full slam out of my Expanse until I hooked it up to high current speaker amps. Even my Holo Bliss which is quite powerful still comes up a touch short vs my 48W and 100W amps. I assume Stealth would be similar.

Personally I hardly listen to my Utopia anymore ever since I got the Expanse. Perhaps a controversial opinion but even in bass slam, I don't think the Utopia wins against the Expanse unless you hook up the Utopia to an amp with high output impedance that causes bass to be increased. The Expanse has some of the most slam of all my headphones (when on high current speaker amps). Can see why people think it lacks slam on most headphone amps though.
I've since placed an order for the Expanse. There's really no going back for me to non-AMTS headphones. No intention to get a speaker amp (or speakers), sticking with the HM1. I also find Stealth to have more slam than Susvara for example. What it kind of lacks is the feel that the D8k Pro Le had for example, those were crazy tactile, like they were actually moving air.
Hope the Expanse is a bit more dynamic than Stealth, but i'm mostly getting it out of curiosity at this point, since i've exhausted all other headphones. Right now, the Stealth is the best thing i've ever heard, by quite some margin. The HM1 took it to new levels compared to the Oor.

Oct 27, 2023 at 3:31 AM Post #2,381 of 2,599
I've since placed an order for the Expanse. There's really no going back for me to non-AMTS headphones. No intention to get a speaker amp (or speakers), sticking with the HM1. I also find Stealth to have more slam than Susvara for example. What it kind of lacks is the feel that the D8k Pro Le had for example, those were crazy tactile, like they were actually moving air.
Hope the Expanse is a bit more dynamic than Stealth, but i'm mostly getting it out of curiosity at this point, since i've exhausted all other headphones. Right now, the Stealth is the best thing i've ever heard, by quite some margin. The HM1 took it to new levels compared to the Oor.
The new DCA releases are quite something.
If Dan manages to replicate the Expanse sound with some more expansive soundstage (like Corina) it would be close to perfect. Imo

Oct 27, 2023 at 3:32 AM Post #2,382 of 2,599
There's really no going back for me to non-AMTS headphones.
Ah yes, there is something special about AMTS smooth/clear delivery.
Stealth/Expanse gives me similar experience to that from IEMs. Lack of peaks and resonances in high frequencies.

Surprisingly Expanse to me ears is not as crystal clear sounding like Stealth. I'm not sure why, could be tuning difference but I suspect that something else is going on.

Oct 27, 2023 at 3:41 AM Post #2,383 of 2,599
Ah yes, there is something special about AMTS smooth/clear delivery.
Stealth/Expanse gives me similar experience to that from IEMs. Lack of peaks and resonances in high frequencies.

Surprisingly Expanse to me ears is not as crystal clear sounding like Stealth. I'm not sure why, could be tuning difference but I suspect that something else is going on.
Haven't heard the Expanse yet but I feel like this interview with mixing engineer Christoph Stickel has a nice description of the differences:
1698392392221.png

Oct 27, 2023 at 4:26 AM Post #2,384 of 2,599
Haven't heard the Expanse yet but I feel like this interview with mixing engineer Christoph Stickel has a nice description of the differences:
Yup I would agree on most of that.
What I heard is Stealth having more "energy" more clarity in 1k-3k region and Expanse focusing more on the ~5k and above. And I'm not sure if it's only because of slight frequency differences or something else.

I let myself to make bold assumption that it's because stealth is more "damped" through AMTS. When you look at the Stealths driver AMTS is covering whole driver while on the Expanse AMTS has more "holes" in it and you can see more of the driver itself.
Looking at the group delay of both you can see some small differences in the range between ~1k - ~8k
1698394566862.png

source

1698394602484.png

source

I know, the differences are small (probably on the edge of measurement error) moreover it's unknown how actually it affects sound - how we perceive it.
But I'm thinking that it's because less reflections/interactions inside the cup (that we can see from the graphs) Stealth has more "precise" images less "blurring" sound.
When you examine group delays of IEMs you see even clearer graph as there is even less reflections as you insert them deep into your ear canal - that's what I hear with IEMs, very clear images, something that only Stealth comes close in that regard.
Anyway as I said everything that I wrote above is my bold statement\assumption.
Would be nice to hear something from @mrspeakers if he has something to say on that topic (I'm always extremely curious about technical stuff)

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2023 at 5:20 AM Post #2,385 of 2,599
The new DCA releases are quite something.
If Dan manages to replicate the Expanse sound with some more expansive soundstage (like Corina) it would be close to perfect. Imo
Tbh the soundstage width is not an issue for me, as both the Rossini ( via Mapper change, widening is more drastic than the HM1 even but at the expense of center image definition and it's a different sound altogether) and the HM1 (more subtle than Rossini, but absolutely no impact on imaging, tonality, etc) have options to expand the soundstage to levels of the Ca-1a, Susvara, etc. Even on the Stealth i can get the soundstage to "too wide " levels, so I leave the Rossini on the "narrow but great center image" setting and just use the Hm1 to widen it. No downsides whatsoever.
What I would love from the Expanse is a bit more impact, and a bit more depth. Those are the only 2 things i'm missing from Stealth compared to the Ca-1a (Star 8 and Mitch's filters). Turning the Rossini to 6v instead of 2v into both the HM1 and Oor gives a TON of slam, and i've been listening that way for a while on the Oor, as it just sounded too soft with Stealth, but it does come with some drawbacks. Bass is a bit exaggerated and comes at the cost of clarity in other regions. 2v is a lot more balanced and with better imaging, even though there's a bit less slam. I don't think this is a current/power issue, but maybe 6v is just a bit "too hot" for the amps and causing some distortion. Can't really explain why bass becomes so bloated otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back