Dan Clark Audio EXPANSE Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Oct 3, 2022 at 1:51 PM Post #1,081 of 2,599
I have had Stealth for about 4 months and Expanse a couple weeks.

Expanse has a couple hundred hours on it most likely.

Some raw notes on some differences between Expanse and Stealth that I am noticing:

Expanse:
Mid bass is more visceral and textural
thicker notes leaning on warmer notes.
There is an extra ethereal addition to the notes. It is like a tiny bit of reverb/musicality/fun added to each note.
Intimate but wider stage than Stealth. The sound is focused throughout the stage (intimate stage for an open back)

Stealth:
Sub bass is more visceral
leaner notes
timbre is very exact on everything. Instruments and vocals.
Detail retrieval is unprecedented.
More intimate sound. The sound is brought focused in the middle and then spreads out from there (intimate stage with more openness than any closed back I have heard.

They are different enough to justify keeping both. Justifications are needed with any addiction!

Best comments I have read about the two:
Stealth is the most open back of a closed back HP and Expanse is the most closed back of any open back HP

Stealth is like being in a recording studio and Expanse is like being at an intimate live concert with great sound.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #1,086 of 2,599
I remember when the Stealth was released and trying to follow the thread and it ended up a PITA due to some crazy posts / arguments from certain quarters. The DCA Expanse thread is rapidly heading the same pink way. There's probably only 20 pages about the Expanse :o2smile:.

Anyway, about the Expanse. Couple of questions
1. how good is the isolation from outside noises. Can it isolate against noises in the same room sufficiently to be able to listen to classical with large swings from very quiet to loud.

And for those who have the stealth & Expanse.

2. Can the EQ (reducing the mid bass) make the expanse sound like the Stealth... and can you make the Stealth sound like the Expanse by boosting the mid bass.

I'm sort of leaning towards the Expanse if it isolates you well from outside noise. Not sure I want the full closed back effect as I like to hear when someone is trying to grab my attention.
Expanse has a significant degree of isolation for an open headphone, perhaps the most isolation I've seen in an open back. That said, if isolation is a priority Stealth is a better choice.
With Expanse being open back, I don't think it will isolate you from outside noises much, if at all.
Incorrect...
Does anyone know if danclarkaudio.com has Expanse in stock and ready to ship now or are they back ordered?
Yes. :)

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Oct 4, 2022 at 2:02 PM Post #1,089 of 2,599
Can we know why is that?
It's because of driver design? Or maybe amts is playing a part? Or maybe something else.
Yes, it's the design of the driver. Our driver is unlike other planars.

Thank you, Dan! My order is already on its way :). By the way, I recall seeing you comment somewhere on the Topping G5 power delivery and ability to drive Expanse. Overall, were you satisfied with this portable pairing?
Thanks, hope you have good fun!

I enjoy the G5 a lot, also the Mojo 2. Both are very powerful and have amazing sound for portable DAC/Amps.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Oct 4, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #1,091 of 2,599
Oct 4, 2022 at 4:15 PM Post #1,093 of 2,599
Sure will. I'll post an honest review here. I tend to post bulleted reviews. These usually don't show up on the front page. I'm using the Benchmark HPA4, Burson C3XR, Gustard x26 pro, Gustard R26, and a few tube amps and various DACs.
Try it all, but I will steer you to the tubes for best probable pairing. I personally think that HPA4, like the new DCS Lina stack, do not pair well with DCA sound, just as a heads up.

Oct 4, 2022 at 4:20 PM Post #1,095 of 2,599
I have a Cayin HA-1A MKII and Elekit TU-8200 that will probably sound good with it. We will have to see.
The way I put it, I feel DCA cans like a little “stank” added for the perfect pairing, but to each their own! Def let me know if you prefer HPA4 so I can have a counterpoint in future!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back