Dan Clark Audio EXPANSE Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Oct 2, 2022 at 2:04 AM Post #1,051 of 2,599
BAL-High-Gain-THDN-Ratio-vs-Measured-Level-All.jpeg

Second time I've posted these measurements of the Diablo.
iFi's site claims:
Screen Shot 2022-10-02 at 13.46.27.png

The Diablo L7 tested reached 600mW and about 4.5V at 32 Ohms before clipping. iFi claim that it will output at least 12.6V and 4,980mW. That's 12% and 36% respectively. Ok, I was off by ... 2%.

For the Stealth and Expanse, let's say you listen at around 80dB. To allow for peaks, the amp should be able to output at least 100dB without clipping. So, for those headphones, that's 50mW and 1V to get to 100dB. Looks like, for the most part, we're safe.

However, what if you have someone who likes to rock out a bit and do some listening at 90dB? Well, then you arguably need 500mW and 3.4V to ensure that you have enough headroom (to reach 110dB) for music with a large dynamic range. That means, there's a chance that someone who runs the combination will have the amp clip. As I've stated before, this is easily possible if you listen to music which has unusually large amounts of low bass, such as movie soundtracks. I found that it was possible to easily go over 100dB SPL with a movie soundtrack of this type without any discomfort, due to the perceptive loudness of different frequencies being different, which will send something like the Diablo into clipping very easily. Again, the large SPL was the result of the very low frequency bass notes. I'm sure if I filtered that out, the rest of the music would nowhere near that SPL level, as I wouldn't have been able to listen to it.

What is more, clipping, which is when the amp starts dumping raw DC into the output, can damage your headphones. If there's a chance an amp will clip with a pair of headphones (at listenable levels) it is totally unsuitable to recommend it!

Note: I didn't say that you can't reach ear-splitting levels of loudness with the Expanse or Stealth and the Diablo.
I didn't say you should listen at over 100dB.
I didn't assume anything.
I'm not implying anything.
I'm not talking about anything that isn't mentioned in this post.
I'm only saying what is in this post. Nothing more or less.

For the 14+ years I've been on Head-Fi one fact has not changed: You can listen with full-sized headphones with portable gear, and it may be OK a lot of the time, but most portable gear is not completely ideal for use with full-sized headphones and wont be as cable as desktop-class amplification. There aren't any contradictions if you have good reading comprehension.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2022 at 4:02 AM Post #1,053 of 2,599
I remember when the Stealth was released and trying to follow the thread and it ended up a PITA due to some crazy posts / arguments from certain quarters. The DCA Expanse thread is rapidly heading the same pink way. There's probably only 20 pages about the Expanse :o2smile:.

Anyway, about the Expanse. Couple of questions
1. how good is the isolation from outside noises. Can it isolate against noises in the same room sufficiently to be able to listen to classical with large swings from very quiet to loud.

And for those who have the stealth & Expanse.

2. Can the EQ (reducing the mid bass) make the expanse sound like the Stealth... and can you make the Stealth sound like the Expanse by boosting the mid bass.

I'm sort of leaning towards the Expanse if it isolates you well from outside noise. Not sure I want the full closed back effect as I like to hear when someone is trying to grab my attention.

Oct 2, 2022 at 4:37 AM Post #1,055 of 2,599
With Expanse being open back, I don't think it will isolate you from outside noises much, if at all.
I know but there have been a few comments suggesting it is not like normal open backs, more like a semi-closed. If it's not closed enough then the Stealth becomes the main point of focus with the hope it can be made to sound more like the Expanse in terms of bass.

Oct 2, 2022 at 5:44 AM Post #1,056 of 2,599
With Expanse being open back, I don't think it will isolate you from outside noises much, if at all.
This is not exactly true. The Utopia was fully opened and blocked nothing either way. The Expanse blocks about 2/3 of the sound in both directions. But if someone is talking during a quiet passage, you still hear it but it’s muffled. You can still hear a tv in the background but it’s much quieter. With rock music, I hear nothing getting thru for most part when listening.

Think if really worried about noise, Stealth might be better choice and might even be better sound signature for classical. But you can just EQ to sound like the Expanse if prefer the warmer, bassier sound. Nomax noted not best idea to EQ like the Expanse.

Also, people shouldn’t comment if you don’t own them or haven’t heard them. It can cause people to make the wrong decisions.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2022 at 6:13 AM Post #1,057 of 2,599
Its not a good idea to Eq the Stealth to Expanse
(to much moving air mass 🤣)

NOMAX

PS.it works better Expanse to Stealth

Oct 2, 2022 at 7:15 AM Post #1,058 of 2,599
Its not a good idea to Eq the Stealth to Expanse
(to much moving air mass 🤣)

NOMAX

PS.it works better Expanse to Stealth
I guess I should’ve spoken for the Stealth since only just briefly heard them. Seems I made the all around right choice getting the Expanse.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2022 at 9:35 AM Post #1,059 of 2,599
I remember when the Stealth was released and trying to follow the thread and it ended up a PITA due to some crazy posts / arguments from certain quarters. The DCA Expanse thread is rapidly heading the same pink way. There's probably only 20 pages about the Expanse :o2smile:.

1. how good is the isolation from outside noises. Can it isolate against noises in the same room sufficiently to be able to listen to classical with large swings from very quiet to loud.

And for those who have the stealth & Expanse.

2. Can the EQ (reducing the mid bass) make the expanse sound like the Stealth... and can you make the Stealth sound like the Expanse by boosting the mid bass.

I'm sort of leaning towards the Expanse if it isolates you well from outside noise. Not sure I want the full closed back effect as I like to hear when someone is trying to grab my attention.
Similar to what @iamoneagain stated, more noise than a conventional open back but not enough for isolation. I have a window unit 10’ from my head in normal listening position. It’s a very very quiet window unit (only fan is inside window, compressor sits outside. I can hear it with Expanse probably 50% or less than with Utopia. With Stealth it’s not audible.

Consider that the expanse like the stealth make the quiet parts of music so quiet that other noises are drawn to my attention so for the expanse that’s going to be noises in the room versus in the Stealth 🥷 it’s my tinnitus.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2022 at 9:43 AM Post #1,060 of 2,599
1. how good is the isolation from outside noises. Can it isolate against noises in the same room sufficiently to be able to listen to classical with large swings from very quiet to loud..

The Expanse can definitely dampen some of the outside noise! When I put them on, I can hear less external noise than with other open backs (Atrium, Elite, LCD-2), but still more noise than a closed back. It’s still not enough isolation to listen to Classical with an air-conditioner on, for example (in my experience).

Oct 2, 2022 at 11:06 AM Post #1,061 of 2,599
So for the people with both the Expanse and Stealth, does the Expanse actually sound the same (or very close) to the Stealth with the EQ setting Dan suggested? Or does it actually sound better since it’s semi open?

I don’t prefer that sound signature but just wondering for those who don’t need total isolation, would the Expanse be more versatile? You can remove the EQ when you want to rock out but apply it if think sounds better for classical. Seems you can’t really turn the Stealth into the Expanse but you can turn an Expanse into a Stealth.

In the flip side the Stealth can be more versatile since you can use it in a noisy environment. But do think Expanse works great at home even when there is some background noise going on. You don’t need completely quiet room.

Oct 2, 2022 at 11:11 AM Post #1,062 of 2,599
I have people upstairs and both sides in my apartment and they pretty much minimize all light noises like my pc fan and refrigerator hum is gone, but the baby crying next door can still be heard.

Oct 2, 2022 at 11:13 AM Post #1,063 of 2,599
So for the people with both the Expanse and Stealth, does the Expanse actually sound the same (or very close) to the Stealth with the EQ setting Dan suggested? Or does it actually sound better since it’s semi open?

I don’t prefer that sound signature but just wondering for those who don’t need total isolation, would the Expanse be more versatile? You can remove the EQ when you want to rock out but apply it if think sounds better for classical. Seems you can’t really turn the Stealth into the Expanse but you can turn an Expanse into a Stealth.

In the flip side the Stealth can be more versatile since you can use it in a noisy environment. But do think Expanse works great at home even when there is some background noise going on. You don’t need completely quiet room.
Having owned both I think they are best suited as complimentary to each other.

Oct 2, 2022 at 11:55 AM Post #1,065 of 2,599

If you need isolation, then better to get the Stealth. After applying the EQ, any difference disappears 10 seconds after going into the music, which is why I am thinking of selling one of the 3 (we have 2 Stealths and 1 Expanse).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back