Dan Clark Audio EXPANSE Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Oct 2, 2022 at 11:59 AM Post #1,066 of 2,599
If you need isolation, then better to get the Stealth. After applying the EQ, any difference disappears 10 seconds after going into the music, which is why I am thinking of selling one of the 3 (we have 2 Stealths and 1 Expanse).
Wow. 👀 It's like having a free Expanse. 😂

It's almost like Expanse is transparency mode while Stealth is 'off' on a pair of TWS.

Oct 2, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #1,067 of 2,599
So for the people with both the Expanse and Stealth, does the Expanse actually sound the same (or very close) to the Stealth with the EQ setting Dan suggested? Or does it actually sound better since it’s semi open?

I don’t prefer that sound signature but just wondering for those who don’t need total isolation, would the Expanse be more versatile? You can remove the EQ when you want to rock out but apply it if think sounds better for classical. Seems you can’t really turn the Stealth into the Expanse but you can turn an Expanse into a Stealth.

In the flip side the Stealth can be more versatile since you can use it in a noisy environment. But do think Expanse works great at home even when there is some background noise going on. You don’t need completely quiet room.
I think Nomax already addressed this. He says you can easily EQ the Expanse to sound very similar to the Stealth. But you can’t EQ the Stealth to sound like the Expanse because it’s CLOSED back. If you try to add that bass shelf, it gets boomy with too much cup resonance etc.

Oct 2, 2022 at 12:06 PM Post #1,068 of 2,599
Yesterday, I received my Double Helix Cables Complement C adapters to use with my Complement C cable with the Expanse. Up until now, I was using the stock SPC (silver plated copper) cable. In my opinion, the 7N OCC pure copper Complement C cable is better in every meaningful sonic attribute. Soundstage width and depth are better, midrange and treble purity are much better and the bass is better too. Most importantly to me is the coherency is better. I mean that the bass, midrange and treble blend seamlessly together and sound like they are cut from the same cloth making the listening experience totally immersive. I didn't get that to the same effect with the stock cable.

Don't get me wrong, I thought the Expanse sounded good with the stock cable but I felt it could be better. I recommend that if you have a pure OCC copper or pure silver cable, that you compare it to the stock cable. If you don't have one, perhaps you can borrow or buy one on a trial basis. As in the past with other stock SPC cables (Audeze and Sennheiser SPC cables come to mind), I feel that they are not as good as pure copper or silver headphone cables. I have several other brands of cables made with pure copper or silver such as Wywires Platinum and Norne Silvergarde but I have yet to try them. Just thought I would share my cable experience with Expanse owners.

Oct 2, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #1,069 of 2,599
If you try to add that bass shelf,
You shall not add a bass shelf to Stealth to make it similar to Expanse, as Stealth has more subbass and less midbass. The right way is explained by Dan as below:
Conversely to make Stealth sound closer to Expanse, PEQ 175Hz, Q=2.6, +2.5dB
If you try to add that bass shelf, it gets boomy with too much cup resonance etc.
That is also not true. It does not at all get boomy. There is _no_ cup resonance problem.

Oct 2, 2022 at 12:34 PM Post #1,071 of 2,599
I think Nomax already addressed this. He says you can easily EQ the Expanse to sound very similar to the Stealth. But you can’t EQ the Stealth to sound like the Expanse because it’s CLOSED back. If you try to add that bass shelf, it gets boomy with too much cup resonance etc.

👍

NOMAX

PS.its to much moving air mass inside the cups😉

Oct 2, 2022 at 12:42 PM Post #1,072 of 2,599
👍

NOMAX

PS.its to much moving air mass inside the cups😉
Sorry, doesn't make any sense, as even a 5 dB bump is not a much difference, let alone a 3 dB bump. This is a difference you can even adjust with a slight volume rise and with your description it would have resonance issues even with a slight rise above the average listening volumes, which is neither neither audible nor measurable.

Oct 2, 2022 at 12:53 PM Post #1,073 of 2,599

If I increase by 3 db in stealth...to much moving air mass to my ears from 0.42

NOMAX

Ps.she is always here 🤪
(Tomorrow I will make my decision..Judgment day)

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2022 at 1:07 PM Post #1,074 of 2,599
to much moving air mass
But what does "too much air mass" mean? There are two mistakes here: 1) In order to make it closer to Expanse, you should add a bell, not a shelf. 2) Also with your description, if you increase the volume by 3 dB, you should break the bass. This can only happen if a) You are listening extremely loud that is deafening levels (considering the 94 dBSPL THD is below 0.5). b) You have a faulty driver.

Oct 2, 2022 at 1:13 PM Post #1,075 of 2,599
Movin air mass...by this I mean how strong this behaves...the pressure created by the air mass...just listen to the track (lily) then you know what i mean👍
The more you increase the more you think a hairdryer blows in your ear😉

NOMAX

PS.here no moving air mass
Sounds great with expanse and with stealth 👍

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2022 at 1:54 PM Post #1,076 of 2,599
Since it's so loved in here, some more Bass talk

If you EQ down the midbass of the Expanse to Stealth levels. How will their subbass performance compare?

Are they equal or has the stealth better or stronger subbass due to the closed Design?

Oct 2, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #1,077 of 2,599
Movin air mass...by this I mean how strong this behaves...the pressure created by the air mass...just listen to the track (lily) then you know what i mean👍
The more you increase the more you think a hairdryer blows in your ear😉

NOMAX

PS.here no moving air mass
Sounds great with expanse and with stealth 👍

"Too much air moving", meaning too much bass, not boomy cup resonance bass, which is pure nonsense and also false information. Also as mentioned before, Stealth has a quite present subbass. To make it similar to Expanse, you need to increase the 100-300 Hz region only, not below.

Oct 2, 2022 at 2:18 PM Post #1,078 of 2,599
Since it's so loved in here, some more Bass talk

If you EQ down the midbass of the Expanse to Stealth levels. How will their subbass performance compare?

Are they equal or has the stealth better or stronger subbass due to the closed Design?
I wouldn't rate the Stealth just as a closed back, but rather just HP. :) I hear slightly more subbass than Expanse.

Oct 2, 2022 at 6:25 PM Post #1,079 of 2,599
I wouldn't rate the Stealth just as a closed back, but rather just HP. :) I hear slightly more subbass than Expanse.

When you EQ the stealth with expanse EQ does the stealth sound almost identical to expanse, but perhaps just slightly less sound stage ?

Oct 3, 2022 at 4:21 AM Post #1,080 of 2,599
When you EQ the stealth with expanse EQ does the stealth sound almost identical to expanse, but perhaps just slightly less sound stage ?
Exactly. They are very close. Also as Dan mentioned Expanse needs 1-2 dB more than Stealth for achieving the same volume level, which makes it difficult to compare HPs that are so similarly tuned. I put on the Stealth, I feel center image is close (inside your head) and then I put on the Expanse and it is slightly further away. Then I remember to adjust the volume and they are more similar sounding and my ears adjust etc. etc. Then it is also more about the psycho-acoustics. I don't feel confident enough to emphesize more than just the bass and low mids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back