Dan Clark Audio EXPANSE Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Oct 4, 2022 at 4:26 PM Post #1,096 of 2,599
The way I put it, I feel DCA cans like a little “stank” added for the perfect pairing, but to each their own! Def let me know if you prefer HPA4 so I can have a counterpoint in future!
They may like the Hiby RS6 too. The R2R DAC matched with the amp is pretty stanky....LOL. I have a Cayin C9 too for portable use. I'm looking forward to trying these. Oh and I totally forgot. I have a Elekit TU-8500 with a Pass ACA amp that is really stanky. Nice sounding combo IMO.

Oct 4, 2022 at 4:31 PM Post #1,097 of 2,599
Try it all, but I will steer you to the tubes for best probable pairing. I personally think that HPA4, like the new DCS Lina stack, do not pair well with DCA sound, just as a heads up.
I definitely agree about the DCS Lina stack. Bad pairing. The HPA4 sounded ok. Very clean and tight bass but wasn’t that fun. I prefer my Naim HE over it. Best I heard was Woo WA23 Luna. But there could be other great pairing. The ampandsound pairing was really good too but didn’t have that tube gooieness like the Woo. That Woo WA23 leans on the very warm side even compared to other Woo amps. I’m completely happy with the Naim HE now that I’ve heard what else is out there. Sure I’d like the Woo but don’t have an extra $9k lying around.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2022 at 4:40 PM Post #1,098 of 2,599
Also now that I’ve own them for a few weeks and my original Utopia is gone, I’d say they might be a little less fun overall than the Utopia. But they do acoustic and electric guitar better than I’ve heard before and without any fancy cable upgrades. And just overall sound I find better than the Utopia. Think if I was only looking for just rhythm and groove there might be better headphones but would have to sacrifice resolution and texture in the mids and highs to achieve it.

These headphones are better for my overall collection. But I do get why people own multiple headphones but I prefer to own just one. I think I’d spend too much time comparing than just listening if I owned multiple sets. And even now I’m still in the phase of how they sounded on the Utopia vs just enjoying them. But slow getting there.

Oct 4, 2022 at 4:40 PM Post #1,099 of 2,599
I definitely agree about the DCS Lina stack. Bad pairing. The HPA4 sounded ok. Very clean and tight bass but wasn’t that fun. I prefer my Naim HE over it. Best I heard was Woo WA23 Luna. But there could be other great pairing. The ampandsound pairing was really good too but didn’t have that tube gooieness like the Woo. That Woo WA23 leans are the very warm side even compared to other Woo amps. I’m completely happy with the Naim HE now that I’ve heard what else is out there. Sure I’d like the Woo but don’t have an extra $9k lying around.
I had a Woo WA5. It wouldn't sound good with it as you explain it. Just to clean with a little warmth. The Cayin HA-1A MKII will most likely sound the best out of what I have or the TU-8200/Pass ACA combo.

Oct 4, 2022 at 4:45 PM Post #1,100 of 2,599
I had a Woo WA5. It wouldn't sound good with it as you explain it. Just to clean with a little warmth. The Cayin HA-1A MKII will most likely sound the best out of what I have or the TU-8200/Pass ACA combo.
Well don’t forget personal preference. I lean more fun than truly balanced. So that’s why Stealth doesn’t appeal. But some people may prefer the Expanse with a very clean chain behind it. Think the Hugo TT2 provided a sound like that. I quickly switched to the ampandsound setup DCA had and preferred that but even that wasn’t fun enough for my tastes. But it’s having fun while still have amazing resolution too is what I seek. That combo was hard to find.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2022 at 5:12 PM Post #1,101 of 2,599
Try it all, but I will steer you to the tubes for best probable pairing. I personally think that HPA4, like the new DCS Lina stack, do not pair well with DCA sound, just as a heads up.

Do you think that the Sparkos Labs Aries would be at least a good though not great match? This unit is Sparkos Labs op-amp based, 2.8w into 32 ohms.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2022 at 5:17 PM Post #1,102 of 2,599
Also now that I’ve own them for a few weeks and my original Utopia is gone, I’d say they might be a little less fun overall than the Utopia. But they do acoustic and electric guitar better than I’ve heard before and without any fancy cable upgrades. And just overall sound I find better than the Utopia. Think if I was only looking for just rhythm and groove there might be better headphones but would have to sacrifice resolution and texture in the mids and highs to achieve it.

These headphones are better for my overall collection. But I do get why people own multiple headphones but I prefer to own just one. I think I’d spend too much time comparing than just listening if I owned multiple sets. And even now I’m still in the phase of how they sounded on the Utopia vs just enjoying them. But slow getting there.
I've been A/B'ing the OG Utopia and the Expanse for a bit today before I send them to a friend to demo and I agree with you Again on your assessment, the Utopia are a bit more 'fun' especially with Electronic/Ambient leaning tracks, but the Expanse trounce the Utopia to me for Timbre and Vocals/Strings. I had to volume match them because the Utopia are so much easier to drive. Using a CMA 15 and on High Gain I barely get to move the dial off of -0db for the Utopia and am at 10 o'clock on the Expanse. The Expanse have more layers on strings and bass for sure to my ears along with equal bass hit but I find the Utopia highs to be more detailed and enjoyable.

One more thing I am using a Wywires Platinum with the Expanse (DCA cables are great for an OEM cables btw) and a Danacables Lazuli with the Utopia and Both are a welcome upgrade over stock cables to my ears.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2022 at 5:20 PM Post #1,103 of 2,599
Do you think that the Sparkos Labs Aries would be at least a good though not great match? This unit is Sparkos Labs op-amp based, 2.8w into 32 ohms.
I honestly have no experience with this amp. If it tends to lean slightly warm of neutral it will probably be very good.

Oct 4, 2022 at 5:27 PM Post #1,104 of 2,599
I've been A/B'ing the OG Utopia and the Expanse for a bit today before I send them to a friend to demo and I agree with you Again on your assessment, the Utopia are a bit more 'fun' especially with Electronic/Ambient leaning tracks, but the Expanse trounce the Utopia to me for Timbre and Vocals/Strings. I had to volume match them because the Utopia are so much easier to drive. Using a CMA 15 and on High Gain I barely get to move the dial off of -0db for the Utopia and am at 10 o'clock on the Expanse. The Expanse have more layers on strings and bass for sure to my ears along with equal bass hit but I find the Utopia highs to be more detailed and enjoyable.

One more thing I am using a Wywires Platinum with the Expanse (DCA cables are great for an OEM cables btw) and a Danacables Lazuli with the Utopia and Both are a welcome upgrade over stock cables to my ears.
I’ve got an 8 core OC 6-litz copper cable shipped today from vikingweave that I’m hoping will dethrone Wywires, but I agree they add noticeable separation and resolution.

Oct 4, 2022 at 5:54 PM Post #1,105 of 2,599
Well don’t forget personal preference. I lean more fun than truly balanced. So that’s why Stealth doesn’t appeal. But some people may prefer the Expanse with a very clean chain behind it. Think the Hugo TT2 provided a sound like that. I quickly switched to the ampandsound setup DCA had and preferred that but even that wasn’t fun enough for my tastes. But it’s having fun while still have amazing resolution too is what I seek. That combo was hard to find.
This hobby is entirely preference. I listened to kit that just didn't do it for me that others praised. I will try all my gear. If it doesn't fill the cup on to other amps that I want to try. Maybe even the Woo WA23. I despise kit with that has peaks in the 7k range. I'm super sensitive to that range. Even some really popular speaks were awful. I found my cup of tea for speakers and DACs AMPs. HPA4 with the Gustard X26 pro is fantastic. Very detailed with an incredible smoothness. I'm running Emotiva Stealth 8s. Superb!

Oct 4, 2022 at 6:01 PM Post #1,106 of 2,599
I have the Sparkos Labs dual OPAMPs in my Burson C3XR. These sound really good. The power circuit on the Aries looks robust as does the amplification path. I have no idea how it sounds, like @xirxes said earlier. Give it a try. IMO the Inspire IHA-1 would be a good match.

Oct 4, 2022 at 6:59 PM Post #1,107 of 2,599

Yeah I had the Danacable Lazuli on my OG Utopia. I really liked how it brought out the rich mids. But then with just stock cable on the Expanse, I find them so much better. So maybe for me I value mids first, bass, then highs. The Expanse does have a hint of that closed headphone feels especially on quiet tracks. But just think it because it’s restricts airflow. So closer to a closed headphone in many respects.

Oct 4, 2022 at 8:03 PM Post #1,109 of 2,599
What is everyone finding to be the best match for cables with the Expanse? I’ve been using Null Audio cables for my most recent headphones. The Luna is a great cable!
I am loving the Wywires Platinum as mentioned above (it opens up the sound to my ears, more detail and texture), I do have adapters for Mini XLR to DCA connectors and will try some of my DHC and Norne cables in the next day or so, but right now I am thinking I need another Wywires (just a bit longer to get to me away from my desk a bit) so I might order a longer one and sell this one.

Oct 4, 2022 at 8:03 PM Post #1,110 of 2,599
I received the Expanse today. My test tracks reflect the music I listen to most often:

--Cleveland Orchestra, Krenek, Static and Ecstatic: perfect tone and separation (I also heard this actual performance live).
--Dave Brubeck, Take Five: Bass drum 3 dimensional, other instruments warm, precise, smooth. ( I heard this performed live 45 years ago).
--Chicago Symphony, Bartok, Music for Strings, Percussion, Celesta: Ethereal, spiritual, surround 3D. (I have heard this performed live by Cleveland Orchestra).
--Horowitz, Horowitz in Moscow: Dancing precise fingers, absolute perfect tone and breadth of tone.
--Nina Simone, I Love You Porky, Live Carnegie Hall: Deep, rich, like she was singing 10 feet in front of me with tears flowing down her cheeks.
--Alison Krauss, I've Got That Old Feeling: Crisp, precise yet gentle.
Equipment: iFi iDSD Signature, iFi iCAN Signature

I am usually confused and do not understand many of the reviews due to the technical nature of them. My experience is emotional and my experience is limited by the other HP I own--800s and HE1000v2. I consider the Expanse to be the culmination of the two. I am glad to own them and would gladly purchase again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back