Dan Clark Audio EXPANSE Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Sep 27, 2022 at 10:49 AM Post #841 of 2,594
Frankly these useless discussions have been going on nearly a year. Maybe the best is just to ignore them.
To the extent that they remain relevant to a large portion of potential customers, there is nothing useless about them.
If its not an issue for you, that's great for you, but evidently its been an issue to some - me included. Which should also be useful for DCA to know about, since those are potential customers if they solve said issue; unless they don't think this can be done without some other compromise which they're unwilling to make of course - which is fair.

That said, no discussion is being had here I gues, I simply wanted to weigh in that there was good reason to be critical - since fx. there has been an apparently known issue and potential cause for the perceived lack of bass in that up until the Expanse, past models of DCA apparently did not handle leakage well, causing the bass to roll off severely (and since no seal is perfect on a human head, usually, this might cause issues for many). However apparently the Expanse has solved this. Hence why I'm curious if this was the root cause of the issue, and if it is now solved. In which case I might be interested in trying a pair - quite useful information I'd say, since its what they make their living from.

At any rate, until more people get to try them and report back, there is indeed not much more to be said.

Sep 27, 2022 at 10:56 AM Post #842 of 2,594
Not sure if this is off topic but I find the way we perceive soundstage interesting just based on that slight mid bass adjustment. Lowering it moves the field in front of you and increases the depth and precision of location. The off topic part is what Chord claims they are doing with the mscaler. It really is just making a steeper filter but when you compare it on vs off, there is just slightly less warmth overall when on. The claim is that the timing is increasing the depth but could it just be this slight difference in warmth? Could that also be why some people don’t hear the improvement because there headphones are already too warm. So a simple EQ adjustment can basically bring you more depth in your soundstage.

Are there any really warm headphones that still have great depth? I had the very warm L3000 and it too felt like you were right at the stage but then 3D like from there. The Utopia are kind of blend we’re some say it’s too bright but then has that mid bass punch so soundstage is also small but 3D. That replica Sony R10 claims to have amazing soundstage for a closed headphone but then said it somewhat lacks bass.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2022 at 11:42 AM Post #843 of 2,594
@iamoneagain
My experience is that you can only achieve a good soundstage/depth/separation if you have enough illumination (bright enough) and not too
much excess (above) in the range 200-400 Hz to the Harman

NOMAX

PS.Less is more in most cases and also brings out more of what is actually on your recording...but its only my opinion
In how far a discoloration is desired must each decide for themselves
And yes also my HE1 discolored..but to my ears in the right place (Natural timbres with a touch of fun)
Color (warmth) makes Fun 👍....but to much Color ruins the the painting/the performance
Everyone paints his own picture according to his imagination and preference if he chooses a model

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2022 at 12:08 PM Post #844 of 2,594
Not sure if this is off topic but I find the way we perceive soundstage interesting just based on that slight mid bass adjustment. Lowering it moves the field in front of you and increases the depth and precision of location. The off topic part is what Chord claims they are doing with the mscaler. It really is just making a steeper filter but when you compare it on vs off, there is just slightly less warmth overall when on. The claim is that the timing is increasing the depth but could it just be this slight difference in warmth? Could that also be why some people don’t hear the improvement because there headphones are already too warm. So a simple EQ adjustment can basically bring you more depth in your soundstage.

Are there any really warm headphones that still have great depth? I had the very warm L3000 and it too felt like you were right at the stage but then 3D like from there. The Utopia are kind of blend we’re some say it’s too bright but then has that mid bass punch so soundstage is also small but 3D. That replica Sony R10 claims to have amazing soundstage for a closed headphone but then said it somewhat lacks bass.
I like a wide stage, but I want to be front row. If that’s what these do, then I can’t wait until my pair arrives.

Sep 27, 2022 at 12:46 PM Post #845 of 2,594
I like a wide stage, but I want to be front row. If that’s what these do, then I can’t wait until my pair arrives.
It’s front row and sometimes on stage with the band.

Sep 27, 2022 at 1:46 PM Post #847 of 2,594
Don't think anyone touched on this? How is the Expanse for poor recordings? Soul, Funk, Jazz, Blues, 90s hip hop? For example, I believe the Susvara does not do well with poor recordings. It is fine, but not that great.

Sep 27, 2022 at 2:05 PM Post #848 of 2,594
Sep 27, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #849 of 2,594
1. You need to hear the Elrog 300B with TC.
2. You'd be enthralled with Elrog 300B with Elite.
1. I'm not sure if the TC wouldn't have too much treble energy, nur I should Audition it at some point.
2. You're absolutely right. That's the Goal
-> selling the Octave (See classifieds) -> order Feliks Envy + Elrog 300B

Sep 27, 2022 at 2:18 PM Post #850 of 2,594
1. I'm not sure if the TC wouldn't have too much treble energy, nur I should Audition it at some point.
2. You're absolutely right. That's the Goal
-> selling the Octave (See classifieds) -> order Feliks Envy + Elrog 300B
300B are a must with TC to flesh things out.
300B are just a must.
Envy is going to be great.

Sep 27, 2022 at 2:20 PM Post #851 of 2,594
Don't think anyone touched on this? How is the Expanse for poor recordings? Soul, Funk, Jazz, Blues, 90s hip hop? For example, I believe the Susvara does not do well with poor recordings. It is fine, but not that great.
Well my test for poor recording is Husker Du - Warehouse. When I had the Chord Dave/mscaler with original Utopia is was pretty bad. Once l swapped out for the Naim HE, still not the best but a fun record and listened to the whole thing. Now with the Expanse, I get the same results. So on a fun system, the Expanse stays fun.

If you have any particular tracks in mind, I can give them a listen.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2022 at 3:09 PM Post #852 of 2,594
Stealth is going to reveal what was recorded and mastered, not gloss over it like some do and present a more pleasant version. In order to do that imo you would need to muddle things up further to take the glaring edges off, like maybe beyer, grado, meze might do but not DCA.

Sep 27, 2022 at 3:16 PM Post #853 of 2,594
Stealth is going to reveal what was recorded and mastered, not gloss over it like some do and present a more pleasant version. In order to do that imo you would need to muddle things up further to take the glaring edges off, like maybe beyer, grado, meze might do but not DCA.
But this is not the Stealth. That little mid bass bump somehow affects the whole spectrum to your ears. The Expanse is a little more forgiving. Just a little.

Sep 27, 2022 at 3:30 PM Post #854 of 2,594
Beyer and Grado? They don’t sound anything like Meze. Beyer and Grado ADD glare and harshness. They don’t smooth over diddly squat 🤷🏻‍♂️

Sep 27, 2022 at 4:26 PM Post #855 of 2,594
But this is not the Stealth. That little mid bass bump somehow affects the whole spectrum to your ears. The Expanse is a little more forgiving. Just a little.
Agree, I think the Expanse handles harsher treble better because the mid bass bump conceals some of that harshness. Stealth are very honest and don't conceal or add anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back