Dan Clark Audio EXPANSE Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Apr 7, 2023 at 6:15 PM Post #1,937 of 2,594
Speaking of, what do people think of the Expanse for orchestral/Classical? Thanks for any thoughts.
It does well. I can make out all instruments clearly and where they are within the stage. I tend to think of the Expanse as a good all-rounder. There is no genre that will blow your socks off, but whatever you listen too will draw you in, make your toes tap, and your head bob. Also from other posts it can really shine on a tube amps that can drive them. I haven't taken the tube plunge, but I've been thinking about it, still doing my research.

Apr 7, 2023 at 7:43 PM Post #1,938 of 2,594
I only heard the Expanse briefly recently, and was very impressed (although I'd probably EQ the lower treble down a bit-- that's my preference with most headphones). If/when funds permit, it's tempting. I suspect it would play well with my Auris Nirvana amp. Anyone else using this combo?

I'm new to the DCA line-up. I have only heard the Stealth and Expanse. I could get, say the Aeon 2 open (I think it's called) now-- or should I hold off until I can go higher?

Apr 7, 2023 at 8:30 PM Post #1,940 of 2,594
I only heard the Expanse briefly recently, and was very impressed (although I'd probably EQ the lower treble down a bit-- that's my preference with most headphones). If/when funds permit, it's tempting. I suspect it would play well with my Auris Nirvana amp. Anyone else using this combo?

I'm new to the DCA line-up. I have only heard the Stealth and Expanse. I could get, say the Aeon 2 open (I think it's called) now-- or should I hold off until I can go higher?
I would say save up for the Stealth or the Expanse. When you are ready you can buy an open box pair off of headphones.com or in the classifieds and save yourself $500 or so.

Any good audio stores in Montreal that you can audition it? Probably the best thing to do if possible.

Apr 7, 2023 at 8:47 PM Post #1,941 of 2,594
As a general rule, I'd go for amplification that designed in the manner of speaker amp for best results. it's not a hard rule, but if the manufacturer makes speaker amps, and builds their headphone amps in the same manner (and doesn't just throw in a generic opamp circuit with a couple of wall-wart grade switching PSUs) it's likely to be good with the Expanse.

Apr 8, 2023 at 4:54 AM Post #1,942 of 2,594
Speaking of, what do people think of the Expanse for orchestral/Classical? Thanks for any thoughts.

Very good if you ask me. Good balance between a full sound versus lots of details and texture. So it's not only a warm cloud or a magnifying glass on details. You'll need a good amp with it though, as some classical recordings with a large dynamic range have a softer average volume, and the Expanse needs quite some juice. On an occasional record I need to ramp-up the volume towards the max on my Ayre Codex.

It's also honest with recordings. Not so long ago I went to a concert of Andras Schiff, playing some Bach and Mozart. Directly after that I listened to some of his Decca recordings, which sounded brutally honest compared to what I heard in the concert hall. Honest does not always mean "romantic" or "super detailed", a real live piano in a concert hall at some registers (or with some players) can sound muffled or "hammery" and pushy.

Apr 8, 2023 at 7:13 PM Post #1,944 of 2,594
Anybody know where to audition these in the Midwest preferably Michigan or Ohio? I've tried Overture Audio in Ann Arbor but nobody there seems to know if they are ever going to get them and they don't seem to return phone calls or emails

Apr 8, 2023 at 7:26 PM Post #1,946 of 2,594
Anybody know where to audition these in the Midwest preferably Michigan or Ohio? I've tried Overture Audio in Ann Arbor but nobody there seems to know if they are ever going to get them and they don't seem to return phone calls or emails
PM me, I have the Expanse and about 6 amps to try them on. 🙂

Apr 9, 2023 at 3:35 AM Post #1,947 of 2,594
auris nirvana with expanse excellent combination, I heard it for a short time and really enjoyed it!

Apr 9, 2023 at 2:36 PM Post #1,948 of 2,594
Hello all, new to the community here and just recently purchased a DCA Expanse. I'm getting a sense of FOMO as I'm reading so many people talking about needing some $2k+ amp systems (some of which are speaker amps?) to fully experience what an Expanse can do. Here's my current chain:
Spotify (Highest quality settings) --> Macbook Pro --USB C--> Fosi Audio DS1 --Balanced 4.4mm to dual 3-pin XLR--> Schiit Mjolnir 1 --4-pin XLR Vivo cable--> DCA Expanse
Currently have the pot all the way up on the Mjolnir and adjust volume via Macbook controls. I'm not completely sure what the recommended method of adjust volume is in this regard. I opted for convenience.

I will probably be swapping out the Fosi Audio DS1 for a Qudelix 5k as I want something that I can use with a mic and wirelessly on occasion.
Regarding my feelings towards the sound of the headphones, I think the Expanse sounds good. Nothing mind blowing. I'm coming from HD6XX and it's noticeably better but not sure about $3k+ better?
I welcome your thoughts and feedback. Thanks!

Apr 9, 2023 at 4:14 PM Post #1,949 of 2,594
There have been many comparisons of the Expanse to the Cladera and having owned both- I want to put in my two cents.

First and foremost- from a technical standpoint; ther is nothong to talk about. The Expanse is so much more resolute, noticably better seperation, detail, so much less distortion. Ther Caldera is much more colored. The Caldera is indeed a pleasant sounding headphone, with rerasonably good technicalities, but is still more focused on coloration rather than technical accuracy. In fact, I can say with confidence that the Expanse is on of the most technically superior headphones I ever heard when properly amped, and I have owned the phi TC, and many of the Stax electrostats, LCD-5, and Susvara. The Expanse has excellent bite and transient attack as well- way above the Cladera.

Now, one should not think the Expanse is so technical that it is not enjoyable. It is IMHO immensely enjoyable. The Cladera is as well, but it is doing so from a perspective of coloration- and it does a very nice job; smooth and full sounding with respectable technical performance.

Regarding soundstage- there have been many comments as to the Expanse soundstage being pretty small for an open headphone. Now, I do have a CFA-3 which is known as perhaps the premire SS headphone amplifier for soundstage, but in my system, the soundstage of the expanse is superb. Not the biggest ever heard- for sure, but absolutely excellent.

WIth proper amplification, this headphone is one of the very best I ever heard. So so well belanced in every area. The tuning is to my tastes as close to perfect as possible, and all the frequencies are so well balanced. Just magnificent.

Regarding Susvara, it is so soft with such a lack of bite, and punch- I never understood how anyone liked it. I guess for classical or Jazz- perhaps, but it just lacks the dynamic slam and bold punch of the Expanse... and for that matter even the Cladera. It is way to limp for rock and roll listeners.

Regarding the Phi TC, it exceeds the Expanse in soundstage and bass, but it has severe illness in the midrange area which the Expanse does not suffer from. The Expanse is similarly explosive to the the TC IMHO, but more balanced. Part of getting that balanced tuning and tone involves having a more normal size soundstage and more moderate bass quantity; although in quality- it is as tight and puchy as anything I ever heard.

LCD-5 has similar technical performance to the Expanse- one of the very best in this area- but the tuning is terribly off. Expanse is what LCD-5 should have been from a big company that has the resources do get the job done right. The 4z remains IMHO the best Audeze in the lineup. It is only slightly behind the Expanse and LCD-5 in technical performance, but is tuned so much better than the 5, with super duper bass elevation- done right, and a chocolately physical sound.

THese are my personal observations. Just sharing to be part of the fun...

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2023 at 5:28 PM Post #1,950 of 2,594
By the way, I have no intention in degrading ZMF. I had an Atrium, Cladera, and heard a VC. They are excellent heasdphones. ZMF has a unique philosophy of comming out with colored headphones of all different types. Many of them sound just wonderful and it is amazing how many types of colorations they have succeeded in bringing out. They are to be commended....

DCA- at least with the Expanse and Stealth aimed for accuracy, lack of distortion, and pinpoint accuracy- and IMHO boy did they succeed.

Both companys have a market for their products. Their goals are completely different and their products show it. I think Cladera and Expanse are a reasonable comparison because A. Price is close to the same. B. Both use Planner technology. C. Cladera is ZMF's most accurate and least colored headphone to my knowledge making it the closest product to the Expanse in their entire line.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back