Dan Clark Audio EXPANSE Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Dec 17, 2022 at 12:43 PM Post #1,546 of 2,599
DCA Expanse review and comparison

I really like to share my experience with the Expanse but I did not really know how to put it into words so I just made a list of stuff that is most important to me and compared it to the rest of my collection.
I will just give some explanations to what I mean by some categories.
All listening was done with the Chord Dave and M Scaler. Expanse got at least 100 hours of burn in with moderately high volumes. Please ask if you want me to explain further on what I mean exactly.

Tonality: good tonality to me means that a headphone needs no or few eq to sound natural/neutral.
Timbre variation and accuracy: Instruments and voices are presented in their character, saxophones sound rich and warm, violins have some bite and resonance…so on
Dynamics: at first I wanted to make two categories for micro and macro dynamics but the differences where to small to matter really, for example the HD800 has a tiny bit more macro- than microdynamics and the Edition 5 the other way around.
Treble realism: Are cymbals sharp but not too sharp? Do female voices sound a bit more breathy but not harsh?
Instrument separation: this is a bit more complicated than I want, but it is not only about placement on the stage and space between them but also about the differences in timbre and layering that help to hear through the recording. So it seems that categories overlap each other a bit here.
Live feeling: How much time does it take to loose myself in the music and feel like a am really there? Also does it stay that way after a longer period of listening?
Comfort: Yeah I think this one is obvious. Most comfortable will still be the Hifimans.
Layering: I did not want to give soundstage a score as I think it is too subjective and has just different feelings to it. The HD800 sounds wider the Utopia/Expanse closer, Edition 5 somewhere in the middle. But what is not subjective is the ability to hear the distances in depth between instruments.
Detail: I tried to keep the force with which the detail is presented out of the equation. The Expanse is really layed back in detail presentation while the Edition 5 is more direct but the Expanse is the headphone that allows me to hear the most detail if I listen for it.
trails of notes/no „one note effekt“: With drums there is the initial stick hit, the drum timbre, even the timbre of the stick and then the boom of the drum itself, same for piano. Basically how many layers of each note am I able to hear.

Score: I took the weighting percentage for each category into account. What’s interesting to me is that the the final score is also representative for the order in which I like to spend time with each headphone.
I like to ad that I really enjoy each of those headphones regardless of age. New means not always better in every category. I also do not tend to have honeymoon phases. I am a bit more of sceptic when it comes to new gear and expect nothing special, but if I enjoy a headphone even after years and years my respect to the developers grows. I am amazed that the HD800 (although now heavily modded) is still one of my go to headphones.
The Expanse is definitely doing something special with it’s AMTS system and in some ways it could be a new standard.

D841100F-F201-4064-867E-1759E87CB8E7.jpeg
42B818BF-8034-413C-AD06-82FF44A11F03.jpeg
Where you get the cable bags? I want to get some or soft case for cables for when they are stored.

Dec 17, 2022 at 12:46 PM Post #1,547 of 2,599
Where you get the cable bags? I want to get some or soft case for cables for when they are stored.
They come with every cable from lavricables

Dec 17, 2022 at 4:19 PM Post #1,549 of 2,599
really interested on your comparison because i have an edition 5 ltd and i had for two weeks an ether 2.
Congrats, I tried to get one of the limited edition. I heard the wood cups make the treble a bit smoother.

Dec 22, 2022 at 6:37 PM Post #1,551 of 2,599
Well, I decided to try these to be my new travel option to pair with the Chord Hugo 2/Cayin C9 setup.

This works very well and sounds great. But what I found that the scale up like the Susvaras. No I won’t say that they are better. But they become so much better.

I tried them on the Chord TT2/MScaler it moved up to another level. But then to the Chord MScaler/TT2/Riviera AIC-10 through the front headphone outputs they improved again. But ultimately I received my adapter to use the DCA headphones so I could connect to my iFi IESL Pro which is connected to the Riviera speaker taps. They just went to straight Beast mode.

So before you give up on these you should try something with good power and current. I’m thinking they are as picky with this just like the Susvaras.

Dec 22, 2022 at 6:40 PM Post #1,552 of 2,599
no question,the expanse given the proper power and dac are special....a different signature than the susvara but similar in that regard

Dec 22, 2022 at 6:44 PM Post #1,553 of 2,599
I would agree that the Expanse scales up extremely well. From underwhelming to really enjoyable!

Dec 23, 2022 at 6:02 AM Post #1,555 of 2,599
Well, I decided to try these to be my new travel option to pair with the Chord Hugo 2/Cayin C9 setup.

This works very well and sounds great. But what I found that the scale up like the Susvaras. No I won’t say that they are better. But they become so much better.

I tried them on the Chord TT2/MScaler it moved up to another level. But then to the Chord MScaler/TT2/Riviera AIC-10 through the front headphone outputs they improved again. But ultimately I received my adapter to use the DCA headphones so I could connect to my iFi IESL Pro which is connected to the Riviera speaker taps. They just went to straight Beast mode.

So before you give up on these you should try something with good power and current. I’m thinking they are as picky with this just like the Susvaras.

Your experience is your experience, but I sure would like to see some sort of technical argument as to how this can be the case despite the numbers apparently indicating that a good 2-3w is more than sufficient unless the listener courts deafness. Including statements to that effect from Dan Clark Audio.

Dec 23, 2022 at 6:12 AM Post #1,556 of 2,599
I’m not saying that that isn’t enough to adequately drive the expanse. I was just noting that they scaled up very well and got better. Especially when using my TT2 and the Riviera AIC-10. This is my setup for my Susvaras.

If you read Susvara thread. You will see it’s about the quality of the power and the current.

Dec 23, 2022 at 6:51 AM Post #1,559 of 2,599
Wave High Fidelity Storm Reference Dual Data Cables

RCA Interconnects using are Danacable Sapphire Reference MK.2 deciding if I like them better than the High Fidelity Reveals

Power Cord currently used is by Signal Cable. Looking to try DH Labs next.
I did a quick google, if you happen to have gold plugs, there is usually a fair bit of signal loss which adds up with the longer chain. So you will now need more power than before, and also the top and bottom extension will be crushed. Both will lead to needing more power in the final stage.

Dec 23, 2022 at 12:09 PM Post #1,560 of 2,599
I did a quick google, if you happen to have gold plugs, there is usually a fair bit of signal loss which adds up with the longer chain. So you will now need more power than before, and also the top and bottom extension will be crushed. Both will lead to needing more power in the final stage.
The gold connectors don’t matter in your iFi Diablo chain or did you modify that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back