Dan Clark Audio EXPANSE Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Dec 30, 2022 at 7:54 PM Post #1,576 of 2,599
I use an iFi iCan Pro Signature and it works extremely well for the Expanse. Another member of this forum asked me to run the Expanse only using the iDSD Pro Signature through the 4.4 balanced outlet and I heard no issues driving the Expanse. Perhaps 4 watts is the desired minimum power for this headphone? I have no idea so just my 2 cents.

Dec 30, 2022 at 8:16 PM Post #1,577 of 2,599
the expanse requires only a bit less power than does the susvara...it also scales up and is worth feeding with good source

Dec 30, 2022 at 8:47 PM Post #1,578 of 2,599
the expanse requires only a bit less power than does the susvara...it also scales up and is worth feeding with good source
+1, been saying the same thing. But people don’t believe because the Stealth and Expanse has been marketed as a portable headphone. But I would say travel friendly. I now will travel with them using Chord Hugo 2/ Cayin C9 combo. But when on my main rig is where they are taken to that next level.

Dec 30, 2022 at 8:51 PM Post #1,579 of 2,599
when I first bought the stealth I bought it to be a travel companion with my hugo 2...the stealth and expanse are both so convenient to transport and so comfortable...I quickly found out they need serious power to shine...they are fine out of a hugo 2 but nowhere near their potential

Dec 30, 2022 at 9:03 PM Post #1,580 of 2,599
when I first bought the stealth I bought it to be a travel companion with my hugo 2...the stealth and expanse are both so convenient to transport and so comfortable...I quickly found out they need serious power to shine...they are fine out of a hugo 2 but nowhere near their potential
Yes they will work off the Hugo 2 fine but if you add a portable amp they will work so much better when traveling.

Jan 1, 2023 at 11:11 PM Post #1,582 of 2,599
Still loving the expanse. New Years resolution is to listen to 3 albums each from the (biased) Rolling Stones recent top 200 singers list with these cans over the next year.

Jan 2, 2023 at 2:09 AM Post #1,583 of 2,599
Actually about half the power and about 1/3 VRMS

Jan 2, 2023 at 9:34 PM Post #1,584 of 2,599
I was looking at buying a pair of these alongside an RME ADI-2/4 Pro DAC/amp to power it. Is that a good combo for this or would you recommend something with more power to throw at it? Was honestly thinking about buying a speaker amp (Schiit Ragnarok 2) to throw at it, as I heard this needs a ton of current, like the DCA Stealth.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2023 at 5:27 AM Post #1,586 of 2,599
I was looking at buying a pair of these alongside an RME ADI-2/4 Pro DAC/amp to power it. Is that a good combo for this or would you recommend something with more power to throw at it? Was honestly thinking about buying a speaker amp (Schiit Ragnarok 2) to throw at it, as I heard this needs a ton of current, like the DCA Stealth.
Try CMA Fifteen as well.

Jan 3, 2023 at 5:41 AM Post #1,587 of 2,599
And how many of them still has Stealth and/or Expanse?

ADI-2 is a solid choice. It is pretty much everything you need as a DAC and DSP for HPs and IEMs. If you want to experiment with more power, you can also add one (something like Topping LA90 later which is one of the cleanest amplifiers in the market) and decide for yourself. But I personally don't think you need.

Jan 3, 2023 at 6:46 AM Post #1,588 of 2,599
And how many of them still has Stealth and/or Expanse?

ADI-2 is a solid choice. It is pretty much everything you need as a DAC and DSP for HPs and IEMs. If you want to experiment with more power, you can also add one (something like Topping LA90 later which is one of the cleanest amplifiers in the market) and decide for yourself. But I personally don't think you need.
How do you drive your Sus?
Reading your posts re Expanse and Stealth, have had the same thoughts in the end about those.

Jan 3, 2023 at 6:51 AM Post #1,589 of 2,599
How do you drive your Sus?
Reading your posts re Expanse and Stealth, have had the same thoughts in the end about those.
Well he probably uses the same setup for the Susvara as well.

Between Stealth/Expanse and Susvara isn't much difference in terms of power requirements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back