Dan Clark Audio EXPANSE Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Dec 2, 2022 at 5:09 PM Post #1,516 of 2,599
Good to know.

Speaking of the Elite, how’s it compare to the Expanse. I tend to favor fun and enjoyment over raw technical abilities. Some claim the Elite doesn’t hit the technicalities as well as others but just is a pleasure to listen to. I question whether choosing the Expanse put me too far in the technical and would be better served with the Elite. I really enjoy the Expanse but doesn’t mean there might be something better suited for me in same price range. Possibly even the ZMF Caldera?
Possibly the Elite, possibly the Caldera. You won't know until you put them on your head, no matter what anyone says.

Dec 2, 2022 at 5:55 PM Post #1,517 of 2,599
Which Norne cable did you use on your Expanse, if you don't mind me asking? I just got my Expanse running on a new Conductor 3X GT and after just an evening of running it, it all sounds a bit thin to me this morning still. My previous chain was a Bifrost 2/64 to Jotunheim 2 so I was expecting a good bump up in overall quality, but none of my Norne cables are terminated to the DCA connectors so I'm stuck with the stock cable on it also. I will soon need to decide if I want to keep this combo or maybe get an Elite to try. The Conductor is probably a bit overkill on the Elite for power, but I should be able to at least compare the Elite on the same DAC/Amp.
I use a Silvergarde v3 I originally had made for the Elites I sold.

Dec 2, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #1,518 of 2,599
Good to know.

Speaking of the Elite, how’s it compare to the Expanse. I tend to favor fun and enjoyment over raw technical abilities. Some claim the Elite doesn’t hit the technicalities as well as others but just is a pleasure to listen to. I question whether choosing the Expanse put me too far in the technical and would be better served with the Elite. I really enjoy the Expanse but doesn’t mean there might be something better suited for me in same price range. Possibly even the ZMF Caldera?
There's a few of us that sold our Elite after trying the Expanse. I know it's a tiring thing to hear, but you just have to try them for yourself on your gear. Someone with completely different taste/gear to yours might say one is better than the other when on your system it might be the complete opposite. For example I think partially the recent Passion for Sound couldn't hear much difference in dacs with the Expanse is because his system favored the characteristics/strengths of the Elite more than the Expanse which made the changes more evident in the Elites.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2022 at 6:24 PM Post #1,519 of 2,599
The destination is music that sounds great to us… how we get there is an individual thing and there is no right or wrong way. There is no bad gear at this level, just different and don’t let anyone pull your “Chain” for the choice you have made.

Dec 2, 2022 at 7:42 PM Post #1,520 of 2,599
In comparison the Elite is a warmer set. It’s the Bentley as compared to Bugatti Veyron as Expanse.

It doesn’t keep up with the outstanding technical characteristics of Expanse, and to my ear the timbre of Expanse is more accurate, but Elite does present as welcoming, lush enveloping but not overly-bloomed sound and it plays better with lower quality produced/mixed/mastered tracks and is easier to drive than Expanse.

All of these fall neatly into the auto comparison as well.

Dec 2, 2022 at 8:07 PM Post #1,521 of 2,599
Yep, same for me. It was the first thing I tried at CanJam. Roon had the stack and I waited about 15 minutes for them to get it setup. I believe I tried LCD-X or the LCD-5 first. It sounded pretty good with decent bass. But then I hooked my Expanse up and wow, what a let down. Very little bass, so no rhythm. Didn’t hear anymore resolution or layering than my Naim HE.

So yeah, if someone was comparing headphones using that stack, would doubt anyone would pick the Expanse. Even heard the HD800s on it later in the day and was impressed with the bass and soundstage. Always heard those were bass light but they even had more bass than the Expanse out of the Lina stack.

But hearing the Expanse out of the Wa23 Lunu was quite the opposite experience. Full liquid bass from the Expanse with great control and the mid detail still coming thru. Now I don’t remember if I tried another headphone out of the Luna, so it’s possible all headphones sound wonderful with it.
the expanse is very tough to drive the amp in the stack simply doesnt have enough juice which is why the lcd-5 would sound better with it...the expanse and stealth are nearly as hard to drive as the susvara

Dec 2, 2022 at 8:27 PM Post #1,522 of 2,599
There's a few of us that sold our Elite after trying the Expanse. I know it's a tiring thing to hear, but you just have to try them for yourself on your gear. Someone with completely different taste/gear to yours might say one is better than the other when on your system it might be the complete opposite. For example I think partially the recent Passion for Sound couldn't hear much difference in dacs with the Expanse is because his system favored the characteristics/strengths of the Elite more than the Expanse which made the changes more evident in the Elites.
Yeah, trying them myself on my own setup makes the most sense. I did get to try the Elite but it was just for 5 minutes on the Portable Woo tube amp. I did like what I heard. Slam, soundstage, and sweetness. But in brief listen it seemed the Expanse had better resolution. But I didn’t listen to Expanse on that setup since only single ended and probably not powerful enough. And I didn’t listen to the Elite on the WA23. So wasn’t a fair comparison.

I mean really there is nothing I don’t like about the Expanse. It’s just when you pay $4000 and only have one headphone you want to make sure it’s the right one. Plus I have 365 return policy (minus restocking fee) so would take the hit if other headphones was slightly better for my preferences.

Dec 3, 2022 at 2:38 AM Post #1,523 of 2,599
Jumped here from Elite thread, here is my two cents:
I have not heard DCA Expanse, but I think it is similar in sound as Diana V2 tough with some more detail an as such I think this is a valid statement:

DCA Expanse = Studio monitors
Meze Elite = Wooden tower speakers

Neither is better than the other, one just suits your needs better.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2022 at 6:48 AM Post #1,524 of 2,599
Jumped here from Elite thread, here is my two cents:
I have not heard DCA Expanse, but I think it is similar in sound as Diana V2 tough with some more detail an as such I think this is a valid statement:

DCA Expanse = Studio monitors
Meze Elite = Wooden tower speakers

Neither is better than the other, one just suits your needs better.
you say:
I have not heard DCA Expanse, but I think it is similar in sound as Diana V2 tough with some more detail………… “

to that i say:

1670067989911.gif

I have not owned either. I have only demoed the Diana v2 once and the Expanse twice.

But let’s let others, with more experience with these headphones than us, inform our views

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2022 at 7:07 AM Post #1,525 of 2,599
I owned V2. And its nothing like the Expanse. Expanse is a way fuller sound. V2 sounds thin compared to it and very flat with a bit of a bass shelf, but nothing like Expanse or Caldera. I think people that like Expanse would better listen to Caldera than V2. Its wider in sound. For my personal taste and to have a contrast to Expanse, i would love to add an Arya, if I really want an open sound/wide soundstage. I really enjoyed it when AB-ing them on the new Bliss amp.

Dec 3, 2022 at 7:27 AM Post #1,526 of 2,599
I owned V2. And its nothing like the Expanse. Expanse is a way fuller sound. V2 sounds thin compared to it and very flat with a bit of a bass shelf, but nothing like Expanse or Caldera. I think people that like Expanse would better listen to Caldera than V2. Its wider in sound. For my personal taste and to have a contrast to Expanse, i would love to add an Arya, if I really want an open sound/wide soundstage. I really enjoyed it when AB-ing them on the new Bliss amp.
The one thing is heard is the Caldera is a very open headphone. Let’s all sounds in and out. The Expanse being semi open is one of the reasons I was drawn to it. Uses it in family room and need a little sounds blocking from time to time. Expanse is probably one of the few open headphones like this. I would think the Elite would also be very open. I wouldn’t be opposed going back to fully open but if really nothing gained, Expanse might be the best based on my needs and preferences.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2022 at 5:49 AM Post #1,527 of 2,599
I have an ether 2. I like this headphone but in my opinion lacks in terms of resolution and air between instruments. Someone tried ether 2 and expanse? I ask because i like the sound signature given with the ether 2 but i need more definition. So expanse is an improvement of ether 2 or something completely different?

Dec 4, 2022 at 12:31 PM Post #1,528 of 2,599
Good to know.

If I may jump in,

As Elite owner, on good recording songs I can enjoy Expanse well, and I prefer it rather than LCD-5/Diana TC. Vocal on Expanse is linear, rich of texture and detail, but still remain full body, smooth, and lifelike. Soundstage, while a bit narrow compare to Elite, but offer excellent imaging depth and height (definitely better than LCD-5/Diana TC). Bass response would be the biggest difference in character. Elite "kick" in bold way, with full body tone. Expanse is leaner, faster, focus more on detail on low frequency. Diana TC would be in the middle in term of bass quantity (among Elite and Expanse).

On mainstream pop/rock/rnb recording, hard for me to enjoy Expanse, this headphone is more transparent to the source, make many of mainstream songs I listen become crap. Have to admit, at some extent, hard for me to enjoy Meze Elite with these kind of recording too, but Expanse it simply even more ruthless.

ZMF Caldera is highly musical headphone like Meze Elite, but of course with different presentation. None of these three headphones sound alike, but I think between Elite and Caldera, ZMF is the one which closer to Expanse in character (vocal position, and shape of soundstage) rather than Meze.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2022 at 1:23 PM Post #1,529 of 2,599
If I may jump in,

As Elite owner, on good recording songs I can enjoy Expanse well, and I prefer it rather than LCD-5/Diana TC. Vocal on Expanse is linear, rich of texture and detail, but still remain full body, smooth, and lifelike. Soundstage, while a bit narrow compare to Elite, but offer excellent imaging depth and height (definitely better than LCD-5/Diana TC). Bass response would be the biggest difference in character. Elite "kick" in bold way, with full body tone. Expanse is leaner, faster, focus more on detail on low frequency. Diana TC would be in the middle in term of bass quantity (among Elite and Expanse).

On mainstream pop/rock/rnb recording, hard for me to enjoy Expanse, this headphone is more transparent to the source, make many of mainstream songs I listen become crap. Have to admit, at some extent, hard for me to enjoy Meze Elite with these kind of recording too, but Expanse it simply even more ruthless.

ZMF Caldera is highly musical headphone like Meze Elite, but of course with different presentation. None of these three headphones sound alike, but I think between Elite and Caldera, ZMF is the one which closer to Expanse in character (vocal position, and shape of soundstage) rather than Meze.
Thanks. This is exactly what I was looking for. But for me, I have no problem with any of my recordings due the Naim HE. I previously had the Chord Hugo 2 with Utopia and it didn’t do well with bad recordings at all. Actually was too thin all around. Then had the Dave/mscaler and while much better and amazing on great recordings, bad recordings still sounded bad.

The Naim HE may not sound as amazing on the best recordings but still sounds pretty great. However, my entire collection is enjoyable to listen to. This was the case with the Utopia and is also the case with the Expanse. But I still wonder how the Elite would sound in this setup. I like the idea of having more kick and choose enjoyment over accuracy.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #1,530 of 2,599
Haven't commented in a while because I've just been busy enjoying my setup!
I wound up getting the Wilsenton tube amps I was planning, and looooove the Expanse with the R800i.
Current chain is PC > USB > Bifrost 2 > R800i 8ohm taps > Hifiman adapter box > Expanse. I think I'm going to give the Denafrips Pontus II + Iris a try and see if I like better than the Bifrost 2 but damn, I can't see (hear?) it getting much better than this.
I swapped the tubes out on the R800i as well and found that to be a worthwhile change. Went with Psvane Western Electric 300B replicas + Cossor 845 + Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB and man it's just so enjoyable, I'd say the biggest change from the tube upgrade was bass is fuller and soundstage got more of that holographic openness, the Expanse has quite satisfying bass now with this combo (not that it didn't before), it maybe doesn't slam like a dynamic driver like the Utopias but there's certainly enough presence to rumble my ears a bit, it goes very low and is always tight, I haven't been able to get the bass to "fail" where it just comes up flat on this setup, the bass is always there exactly how the track calls for it. Having 45W(!) on tap with the R800i made a difference in bass over the already very powerful (by headphone amp standards) Jotunheim 2. As for treble, the background is so black and open, notes just seem to appear out of the void. It causes a lot of those "wait, is someone in my room?" moments, I hear people whispering in the studio on some tracks, fingers on strings, etc. Cymbals clash so clearly and decay so nicely, it's somehow a sharp detail machine and also so rich and full.

I really have nothing bad to say about this setup and think I'm at that point where it would take me being shown something better to even realize I'm missing anything, the point where there's no faults, it's just degrees of improvement/personal taste if that makes sense. It's just so enjoyable and passionate to listen to, I can sit and analyze details if I want and the details are very much there but usually I just get lost in the music. Hell, I even find myself enjoying songs I didn't like before just because they become so pleasant on this setup. Many nights going to bed at 2am because I get stuck in the "one more song" loop.

I'll close with a story, this was with the same chain but with my Buchardt S400MkII speakers, not the Expanse, but the experience is comparable. I was sitting at my PC, setting it up to test after putting in the new tubes, threw on a random track (Lo Vas A Olvidar - Billy Eilish), it was playing for 30 seconds, I turn around to see my girlfriend on the couch behind me with tears rolling down her cheeks. She was a bit embarrassed but I was like no, don't be! That's the best review this setup could get! That's the kind of experience we strive for.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back