Dan Clark Audio E3 Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Apr 7, 2024 at 9:42 AM Post #1,742 of 1,890
Good to hear insight. I also had the Noire's but sold - as I only wanted to keep 1 set, and that was the Beyer T5 which had more impact and soundstage. I also had chronic issues with the pads deforming on the Noire. BUT the T5's are just not as comfortable, and I can't wear them for so long....so Dan's comfort focus has me looking at the E3's. If I could make the T5 comfortable for multi-hour use, I would be fine with them....as I'm not chasing perfection.

How would you compare the soundstage and bass impact of the E3 to the Noire? They are still planar, so not expecting the same slam as dynamic...but I listen to a lot of electronic/ambient/other music which is not oriented towards L/R stereo presentation. This means a large, wide soundstage works better with this music, also large classical/cinema orchestration.

The noire's were pretty close to perfect, so even though the E3 is a bit harder to drive, I think my JDS Element II would do fine to drive them to their full potential.
The bass impact is on the order of dynamic headphones, and more than the Noire’s. You can feel the impact when it’s there, like a dynamic driver. The soundstage is better presented, I think, though I am not typically listening for wide soundstage. It’s not artificial sounding though, like Hedd or some other headphones can seem.

Apr 7, 2024 at 1:08 PM Post #1,744 of 1,890
I’m back home and finally got round to try the screw mod. It’s actually quite simple:

IMG_3021.jpeg

These are on both sides, but only visible when you bend the gimbal. Remove them and clamping force is reduced. Actually works like a charm!

Thanks a lot and hats off to DCA for the fast and diligent customer service provided!

So I tried this and as mentioned it's very easy. i think depending on how wide your head is determines how much force relief you feel. Me personally- It made a noticeable difference and I thought these were comfortable before they are even better now. Anyone who has an issue with the clamp force should try this out, even if you don't it's very easy to do so give it a shot.

Thanks

Apr 7, 2024 at 3:09 PM Post #1,745 of 1,890
So I tried this and as mentioned it's very easy. i think depending on how wide your head is determines how much force relief you feel. Me personally- It made a noticeable difference and I thought these were comfortable before they are even better now. Anyone who has an issue with the clamp force should try this out, even if you don't it's very easy to do so give it a shot.

Thanks
To clarify, is this removing the screws only, or are there replacement screws that should be put in?

Apr 7, 2024 at 3:50 PM Post #1,746 of 1,890
Totally agree. Was kinda torn if these will stay or go, but super happy that I can stop worrying now :gs1000smile:

Apr 7, 2024 at 3:51 PM Post #1,747 of 1,890
To clarify, is this removing the screws only, or are there replacement screws that should be put in?
Just removing them (and making sure they don’t get lost) 😅

Apr 7, 2024 at 4:39 PM Post #1,749 of 1,890
If you have female vocal or pop music, It sounds pretty good. But string instrument, orchestra, or mid focus music sound rolled off. Female focal is audio technica's house sound.
But with EQ could be fixed , can get for 450 euros, they are compact and made for walking, commute , everywhere. I hear your criticism , but I see a lot of positive reviews for them. With EQ and a modest dac, I think at 450 euro there's a neat headphone there.

Apr 7, 2024 at 5:14 PM Post #1,750 of 1,890
But with EQ could be fixed , can get for 450 euros, they are compact and made for walking, commute , everywhere. I hear your criticism , but I see a lot of positive reviews for them. With EQ and a modest dac, I think at 450 euro there's a neat headphone there.
No. I never EQ. EQ to me is like cheating. Especially for high end headphones. Not only the sound, although very light, the build of WP900 is too fragile to me. The cup is so beautiful that you don't want to take it out. Because the cup is very easy to get scratches. Although the cable is detachable, it is very thin and easy to break, and the connector is proprietary A2DC, which is not easy to find other than audio technica. Another big problem is there is no case to keep this beautiful headphone protected, which is unbelievable at this price point. I would take momentum 4 with wires connect to my DAP instead. It has much better built, sounds very close to WP900, include the case, and almost half of the price when on sale. Plus you can turn on BT ANC if needed. (Although I almost never use these features unless on the flight or train) The bass is too much on BT or ANC mode, but perfect on wired or usb c mode when headphone is turned on.

For non critical listening, I will take momentum 4 on the street. But if I need better sound, I will use my u12t on the street, or bathys if you wish a good over ear travel headphone. But to my ears, bathys is no go. At that price point, it should sound even better under the wired or usb c mode. I will see if Focal will come a new headphone this year.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2024 at 6:39 PM Post #1,751 of 1,890
No. I never EQ. EQ to me is like cheating. Especially for high end headphones. Not only the sound, although very light, the build of WP900 is too fragile to me. The cup is so beautiful that you don't want to take it out. Because the cup is very easy to get scratches. Although the cable is detachable, it is very thin and easy to break, and the connector is proprietary A2DC, which is not easy to find other than audio technica. Another big problem is there is no case to keep this beautiful headphone protected, which is unbelievable at this price point. I would take momentum 4 with wires connect to my DAP instead. It has much better built, sounds very close to WP900, include the case, and almost half of the price when on sale. Plus you can turn on BT ANC if needed. (Although I almost never use these
No. I never EQ. EQ to me is like cheating. Especially for high end headphones. Not only the sound, although very light, the build of WP900 is too fragile to me. The cup is so beautiful that you don't want to take it out. Because the cup is very easy to get scratches. Although the cable is detachable, it is very thin and easy to break, and the connector is proprietary A2DC, which is not easy to find other than audio technica. Another big problem is there is no case to keep this beautiful headphone protected, which is unbelievable at this price point. I would take momentum 4 with wires connect to my DAP instead. It has much better built, sounds very close to WP900, include the case, and almost half of the price when on sale. Plus you can turn on BT ANC if needed. (Although I almost never use these features unless on the flight or train) The bass is too much on BT or ANC mode, but perfect on wired or usb c mode when headphone is turned on.

For non critical listening, I will take momentum 4 on the street. But if I need better sound, I will use my u12t on the street, or bathys if you wish a good over ear travel headphone. But to my ears, bathys is no go. At that price point, it should sound even better under the wired or usb c mode. I will see if Focal will come a new headphone this year.

features unless on the flight or train) The bass is too much on BT or ANC mode, but perfect on wired or usb c mode when headphone is turned on.

I wouldn't worry about the scratches , these are OnTheGo designed specifically especially headphones. That's it. Also I said I would get a verified used pair for 450. And also I have some faith in the many reviews on this headphone and also some reccomendation from top headphone outlet (Amsterdam Auditions). I should mention mostly IDM and electronic music usage.. So overall I expect that these are: ultra portable, very high standard tuned, bit v shaped , headphones. These are audiophile headphones made for the commute.

I will look into the Momentum as wired with DAC, sounds interesting your opinion. I don't hope to find many WP900 vs wired Momentum w/dac tho!..

Apr 7, 2024 at 7:50 PM Post #1,752 of 1,890
I wouldn't worry about the scratches , these are OnTheGo designed specifically especially headphones. That's it. Also I said I would get a verified used pair for 450. And also I have some faith in the many reviews on this headphone and also some reccomendation from top headphone outlet (Amsterdam Auditions). I should mention mostly IDM and electronic music usage.. So overall I expect that these are: ultra portable, very high standard tuned, bit v shaped , headphones. These are audiophile headphones made for the commute.

I will look into the Momentum as wired with DAC, sounds interesting your opinion. I don't hope to find many WP900 vs wired Momentum w/dac tho!..
These are also my expectation when I order the WP900. At this price point, the sound should compete any headphones above 1k. But sadly, to my ears it's not. It is too v shaped. Only barely better than momentum 4. When connect high end gear, you can barely hear any improvements. I won't say it is an audiophile headphone. It is a high end consumer headphone with beautiful cups. Sort like an apple airpod max, B&W PX8. They look gorgeous, but sound ok, not spectacular at the same price bracket. If you have the budget to get WP900, I would rather take DCA Aeon 2 Noire. The sound and build is a lot better than WP900, it is definitely an audiophile headphone, and one of the best portable headphone under 1k.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2024 at 8:32 AM Post #1,755 of 1,890
These are also my expectation when I order the WP900. At this price point, the sound should compete any headphones above 1k. But sadly, to my ears it's not. It is too v shaped. Only barely better than momentum 4. When connect high end gear, you can barely hear any improvements. I won't say it is an audiophile headphone. It is a high end consumer headphone with beautiful cups. Sort like an apple airpod max, B&W PX8. They look gorgeous, but sound ok, not spectacular at the same price bracket. If you have the budget to get WP900, I would rather take DCA Aeon 2 Noire. The sound and build is a lot better than WP900, it is definitely an audiophile headphone, and one of the best portable headphone under 1k.
But Noires are as big like E3?
Like, they are a bit silly for walking around?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back