Dan Clark Audio E3 Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Apr 1, 2024 at 3:09 PM Post #1,666 of 1,910
Curious if any E3 users have also spent time with the Senn 660 S2? Reason I'm asking: just spent time on chat with an acquaintance who owns the 660 S2. He said he had an E3 in his possession for a few days recently and found the 660 S2 to present as bassier. This kind of surprised me.

I know...apples to oranges; dynamic vs. planar; open vs. closed; totally different price brackets. I'm just trying to triangulate here.
E3 >> 660S2 in bass. Not even close.

Apr 1, 2024 at 3:44 PM Post #1,668 of 1,910
TBH, owning the E3 for few months now (it's amazing no doubt), I did try a lot of DAPs (SR35, SE300, M11s, M15, M17) and none of them were able to drive it properly. The volume was way to low even at hi-gain (using the 3.5mm output). And guess what, I'm driving it on the go with a Fiio BTR5 (yes you read it right, hi-gain of course) and it's way better than any DAPs above... For the price, I don't understand why people are not using those more frequently and trust their ears instead of their wallet.

I did try the Mojo 2 too recently, and it's great, plenty of power, you can listen loud and it's giving a lot of musicality to the E3. I even felt it was probably better than my BTR5, and even desktop set up A90/D90 stack, or Sabaj A20d.. I'll try to compare them side by side. If it's better (to me) it's going to be Mojo 2 for desktop and on the go use.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2024 at 3:51 PM Post #1,669 of 1,910
But all the few recommended DAPs are flagship material and well in the four figures, some even more expensive than the E3. That would make a Mojo 2 a real bargain.
Exectly my thoughts. I appreciate the „best“ solution would likely be a DAP, but that kinda money is reserved for the living room setup. Probably the RU7 is „good enough“ for me anyway, then 😇
(maybe to check out a Mojo2 when I’ve fully settled on the big system…)

Apr 1, 2024 at 4:11 PM Post #1,670 of 1,910
But all the few recommended DAPs are flagship material and well in the four figures, some even more expensive than the E3. That would make a Mojo 2 a real bargain.
look at the new Cayin N3 Ultra. Like I previously said, Mojo 2 is fine if you don't play demanding tracks like film scores and then it just isn't up to the task. A used Woo Audio WA11 has ample power and you can pick up for 6-7hundred.

Apr 1, 2024 at 8:23 PM Post #1,671 of 1,910
TBH, owning the E3 for few months now (it's amazing no doubt), I did try a lot of DAPs (SR35, SE300, M11s, M15, M17) and none of them were able to drive it properly. The volume was way to low even at hi-gain (using the 3.5mm output). And guess what, I'm driving it on the go with a Fiio BTR5 (yes you read it right, hi-gain of course) and it's way better than any DAPs above... For the price, I don't understand why people are not using those more frequently and trust their ears instead of their wallet.

I did try the Mojo 2 too recently, and it's great, plenty of power, you can listen loud and it's giving a lot of musicality to the E3. I even felt it was probably better than my BTR5, and even desktop set up A90/D90 stack, or Sabaj A20d.. I'll try to compare them side by side. If it's better (to me) it's going to be Mojo 2 for desktop and on the go use.
While waiting a good DAP, I am starting looking other portable wired closed backs as well. Whichever one doing good first, I will take that out. Hope focal will release a good new headphone this year.

Apr 2, 2024 at 12:41 AM Post #1,672 of 1,910
Anyone tried the E3 with a Nitsch Pietus Maximus or similar Schiit? If so, do you feel it would be a good sound pairing and power match? Currently using it with my LCD-XC and think its wonderful but getting the itch to try the E3 with it.

Apr 2, 2024 at 3:38 AM Post #1,674 of 1,910
Anyone tried the E3 with a Nitsch Pietus Maximus or similar Schiit? If so, do you feel it would be a good sound pairing and power match? Currently using it with my LCD-XC and think its wonderful but getting the itch to try the E3 with it.
Not enough power and control.

Apr 2, 2024 at 5:03 AM Post #1,675 of 1,910
The proverbial "elephant in the room" in portable audio. $4k DAPs are for HK'ers to flex with. If Chord made a solid-copper case for the Mojo 2, they'd be all over it. 😆
Not enough power and control.
The Piety, definitely not, but anything Asgard-level and better can drive them fine, with decent bass control for the price.

Apr 2, 2024 at 7:54 AM Post #1,676 of 1,910
The proverbial "elephant in the room" in portable audio. $4k DAPs are for HK'ers to flex with. If Chord made a solid-copper case for the Mojo 2, they'd be all over it. 😆

The Piety, definitely not, but anything Asgard-level and better can drive them fine, with decent bass control for the price.
I think I did see a solid copper case for original Hugo at one point..this hobby...great to find amazing gear combos and we get a bit out of whack at times in/on some areas.

Apr 2, 2024 at 8:38 AM Post #1,677 of 1,910

This I agree. For the price, yes. Ideal, no.

Apr 2, 2024 at 10:43 AM Post #1,679 of 1,910
++ Another one incoming

Apr 2, 2024 at 12:17 PM Post #1,680 of 1,910
While we’re on the topic of amps, can someone suggest a budget-minded option to pair with the E3? Right now I have an ifi zendac v2, and I’ve been looking to buy an xduoo ta-22. I like this combo amp/dac because then I can sell the ifi, but if there is a good option I can use it as my dac. I’m hoping to spend less than $500.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back