Dan Clark Audio E3 Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Jan 28, 2024 at 1:29 PM Post #1,023 of 1,889
You tried to use an underpowered portable headphone amp to drive difficult to drive cans. Playing loud doesn‘t tell you much about whether the amp is adequate for the cans. For example, you can use headphone out from a MacBook to get E3 to loud enough volume without distortion. But that doesn’t mean E3 sounds anywhere close to how they should sound with quality electronics.
The onboard sound from MacBook M1 generation on is largely considered some of the best you can get on a laptop. They indeed are quality electronics. Please share with the group how “they should sound” with your specified “quality electronics” listed.

Jan 28, 2024 at 1:42 PM Post #1,024 of 1,889
The onboard sound from MacBook M1 generation on is largely considered some of the best you can get on a laptop. They indeed are quality electronics. Please share with the group how “they should sound” with your specified “quality electronics” listed.
I can tell you from personal experience that onboard MBP M1 and MBP M2 headphone out is meh. Sub bass on E3 should be deep, powerful, tuneful and articulate with good sustain and decay, close to SOTA. You can feel the sub bass notes easily in your stomach. The only shame in the bass is the transition from mid bass to upper bass is not as smooth - rather a slight lack of energy in the upper bass, which resulted in male vocal sounding a bit “thin” or not as “warm” or “organic” compared with other cans I have.

Soundstage is about as deep as the best with good hint of soundstage height. Left and Right soundstage is about 60 degrees in each direction, past that the soundstage collapses on the extreme left and right. There is great separation of instruments left, right front to back with good height representation (for headphones). The depth of the soundstage was probably the most impressive aspect of E3 - as in the notes can eliminate from way out into the room. There is also a good amount of air and blackness around instruments/voices. Overall impressive soundstage for a headphone (close or open).

I think I said before technically E3 is strong. Having said that, I think people should demo these first to make sure they like the tuning and overall presentation.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2024 at 2:34 PM Post #1,025 of 1,889
I have a magni unity, topping a70 pro and lyr+ all sound fantastic with them and all under 1k and all sound just as good as crazy expensive ones.
Out of curiosity, which "crazy expensive ones" are you comparing the Magni, topping, and lyr+?

Thanks

Leo

Jan 29, 2024 at 2:44 AM Post #1,027 of 1,889
I can tell you from personal experience that onboard MBP M1 and MBP M2 headphone out is meh. Sub bass on E3 should be deep, powerful, tuneful and articulate with good sustain and decay, close to SOTA. You can feel the sub bass notes easily in your stomach. The only shame in the bass is the transition from mid bass to upper bass is not as smooth - rather a slight lack of energy in the upper bass, which resulted in male vocal sounding a bit “thin” or not as “warm” or “organic” compared with other cans I have.

Soundstage is about as deep as the best with good hint of soundstage height. Left and Right soundstage is about 60 degrees in each direction, past that the soundstage collapses on the extreme left and right. There is great separation of instruments left, right front to back with good height representation (for headphones). The depth of the soundstage was probably the most impressive aspect of E3 - as in the notes can eliminate from way out into the room. There is also a good amount of air and blackness around instruments/voices. Overall impressive soundstage for a headphone (close or open).

I think I said before technically E3 is strong. Having said that, I think people should demo these first to make sure they like the tuning and overall presentation.
"Name that amp" that gives all the above impressions thanks....
I just don't get that on Hugo2.

Jan 29, 2024 at 11:15 AM Post #1,029 of 1,889
The headband of E3 is still not comfortable. :< Did anyone try mounting the headband of Aeon 2 into E3? I looked at them and it should be possible with screwdrivers.
Might work. The headband is rather easy to remove, so you might want to just try.

My headband took a while to get more comfortable but ultimately did. So maybe just bending it into form again and again might help as well

Jan 29, 2024 at 2:58 PM Post #1,031 of 1,889
"Name that amp" that gives all the above impressions thanks....
I just don't get that on Hugo2.
I use CFA3 and GSX2 as you can clearly see in my sig :face_palm:

Jan 29, 2024 at 3:05 PM Post #1,032 of 1,889
I use CFA3 and GSX2 as you can clearly see in my sig :face_palm:
I can see what is in your sig. but I have no way of knowing what your were using listed or unlisted in your signature.

You come across as pretty arrogant with your answers and observations of what others say in the thread right off the bat so far.

I'm just looking at alternate amp synergy options is all - as Hugo2 not quite showing what you describe to my ears so far...which is disappointing as I like to keep the audio chain simple where its working with my other planars.

Jan 29, 2024 at 3:55 PM Post #1,033 of 1,889
I can see what is in your sig. but I have no way of knowing what your were using listed or unlisted in your signature.

You come across as pretty arrogant with your answers and observations of what others say in the thread right off the bat so far.

I'm just looking at alternate amp synergy options is all - as Hugo2 not quite showing what you describe to my ears so far...which is disappointing as I like to keep the audio chain simple where its working with my other planars.
Your OP was about how E3 sounded no better than your $150 cans in terms of soundstage. I responded to tell your associated gear is to blame. My original response was fairly matter of fact with explanation as to why. Then you got all mad and asked me to "prove it to you" which I did and now you are getting personal. :face_palm:

If you had simply asked for amp synergy option I am sure folks would have given you some ideas. That was not what you wrote and we cannot ascertain your hidden intention if not spelled out clearly in words.

Jan 29, 2024 at 6:47 PM Post #1,034 of 1,889
The headband of E3 is still not comfortable. :< Did anyone try mounting the headband of Aeon 2 into E3? I looked at them and it should be possible with screwdrivers.
I just got a new pair in after using another E3 for the past 11 or so days, and with time both the pads and headband conform to your head and makes a very comfortable fit. I forgot the headband was on my head til I put this new pair on.

Jan 30, 2024 at 4:25 PM Post #1,035 of 1,889
Feel free to ignore me if I'm too off-topic, but I am seeking a portable-ish dac/amp for travel use with this headphone, I'm not exactly sure how much power I should be looking for, does anyone have any recommendations? I was thinking of the iFi Audio xDSD Gryphon. I was looking at the Chord Mojo as it's small and compact, but I would imagine that most likely isn't powerful enough.

I don't own a good solid state amp for a headphone with this sensitivity, I'd love it if there were a DAC/Amp combo that could both be portable and stationary on my desk (I won't be using the dac/amp with a phone, just my portable laptop for on the go production) Thank you!
I use a Fiio BTR5 and it powers them just fine. Was worried that I'd have to find a new BT/USB DAC but that's not been the case.

On low gain using the 2.5mm balanced output I'm getting ~105db with the vol at about 40/60. I've turned it up louder for a few sec just to test and couldn't hear any distortion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back