Dan Clark Audio E3 Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Feb 2, 2024 at 2:29 AM Post #1,051 of 1,934
If all you are looking for is to make sound from E3 then either headphone jack or mojo2 will work. You will hear a fraction of what E3 is capable of. Don't complain if you don't hear the visceral bass impact, sub bass extension and boundless soundstage and high resolution rendition of atmosphere, among other things.

I personally don't understand why people intentionally gimp their high end cans with meh electronics. They would almost always be better off with mid priced cans and top electronics.
I think you're assuming quite a lot of me just because I'm asking for a portable solution. That and you're being needlessly dismissive. I want to use the E3's portably because they're closed-back and portable, I already have been using them to make music and mix/master on my desktop setup and they've done a great job at it thus far. No one is gimping their high end cans with meh electronics, I am seeking the best option *for* said high end cans. That's why I asked.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2024 at 2:52 AM Post #1,052 of 1,934
E3 about as hard to drive to full potential as Susvara then ?

Disappointed and surprising that something like Hugo 2 - 1W per channel - which makes my other cans shine won't cut it into the technical impressions others are getting.

This can weirdly reminds me of a stepped up T50rpMk3 from Hugo2 anyway.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2024 at 3:22 AM Post #1,053 of 1,934
I think you're assuming quite a lot of me just because I'm asking for a portable solution. That and you're being needlessly dismissive. I want to use the E3's portably because they're closed-back and portable, I already have been using them to make music and mix/master on my desktop setup and they've done a great job at it thus far. No one is gimping their high end cans with meh electronics, I am seeking the best option *for* said high end cans. That's why I asked.
So you are asking what you should do to your 911gt3 to make it off road worthy. My answer is and has always been get a different vehicle.

Feb 2, 2024 at 5:23 AM Post #1,054 of 1,934
In the audio comparison part of the review I posted above (starting at 6:54), in the first musical snippet, I find the differences between both HPs very, very noticeable.

---> On this first electronic beat, loaded with high frequency content, the E3 to my ears produces piercing details ; hi-hats are a bit fatiguing to my ears. It's quite agressive. I sense a slight lack of mids compared to the original track indeed, as shown in the reviewer's graphics (4:00). Reverb and piano sound is subdued.

Second extract, the voice is a bit piercing on the E3.

--> The Stealth is relaxed and sounds "full and complete" in comparison. But I hear also that the bass is less prominent (slightly recessed compared to the original music ?). I do not know if this is a good thing or not. It's less distorted down there ok, so this is one explanation, but I think I prefer the kicks of the E3, more defined and true to the source.

It's a close call for bass :
The E3 bass is more linear and is a bit more punchy yes (a punch that seem in line with the original musical material, not fabricated punch). Well it's really great...
The Steath bass is less distorted and even manages to push the sub and infra slightly above the target curve... But compared to the original music, the Stealth presentation buries the bass slightly, it's weird, probably a by-product of the bumpy tuning and ultra clean bass quality ?

What I got from this review is how different the E3 and Stealth sound. I have no idea which one to chose for my work hahaha. I think I prefer E3 bass but I prefer Stealth for all the rest. Great . . .

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2024 at 9:01 AM Post #1,055 of 1,934
If all you are looking for is to make sound from E3 then either headphone jack or mojo2 will work. You will hear a fraction of what E3 is capable of. Don't complain if you don't hear the visceral bass impact, sub bass extension and boundless soundstage and high resolution rendition of atmosphere, among other things.

I personally don't understand why people intentionally gimp their high end cans with meh electronics. They would almost always be better off with mid priced cans and top electronics.
There is nothing “gimped” using Mojo2 to drive E3. It’s a near-perfect portable pairing, as was Mojo/Mojo2 with Aeons. Several others, including the onventor have said the same. Opinions, people, just opinions.

Feb 2, 2024 at 9:09 AM Post #1,056 of 1,934
E3 about as hard to drive to full potential as Susvara then ?

Disappointed and surprising that something like Hugo 2 - 1W per channel - which makes my other cans shine won't cut it into the technical impressions others are getting.

This can weirdly reminds me of a stepped up T50rpMk3 from Hugo2 anyway.
The Hugo2 will completely max out the E3. You will get the full capabilities.

Feb 2, 2024 at 9:57 AM Post #1,059 of 1,934
E3 is not as efficient as I was led in this thread after auditioning them on the R9. it sounded a little anemic with little to no body.
The Fiio R9? That has nothing to do with 'effeciency' but based on your ears and your perception. You would have to give a song as an example to start with that has 'little to no body'. Also there are other factors: Are you getting a complete seal on the headphone? You also may be used to too much 'body' that anything less will feel anemic.

A more powerful amp will not give it additional body. It could be it just doesn't match your preference which is totally acceptable.

Feb 2, 2024 at 10:08 AM Post #1,060 of 1,934
There is nothing “gimped” using Mojo2 to drive E3. It’s a near-perfect portable pairing, as was Mojo/Mojo2 with Aeons. Several others, including the onventor have said the same. Opinions, people, just opinions.
How would you know without hearing better. I don’t have Aeon anymore but it was significantly worse on mojo than my other amps. Aeon is an easier load than E3. If you feel E3 sounds ”nearly perfect“ on your mojo then you are free to ignore my comment.

Feb 2, 2024 at 10:11 AM Post #1,061 of 1,934
The Hugo2 will completely max out the E3. You will get the full capabilities.
What other systems have you tried E3 with that led you to this conclusion?

Feb 2, 2024 at 10:22 AM Post #1,063 of 1,934
Ferrum Stack, Lina Stack, Jot 2 / Bifrost, Lyr+ with Modius (Mine), Topping A70 Pro and D70 Octo (Mine), Element MK3 Boosted (Mine), Magni Unity with Dac (Mine). I might be forgetting a few. Oh and RME ADI-2 Dac FS(Formly mine but sold).
Are those all your gear or you tried them at a store or show?

Ferrum OOR/PSU and Lina dac/clock are the only components on your list that may work well for E3. Lina amp is a lost cause at this point.

I had Hugo and demoed Hugo 2 way back with hard to drive planars. I don’t think Hugo 2 is bad but hardly maximizing any cans that require decent power. Plus, I don’t think Hugo 2 and E3 would work well from a system synergy perspective.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2024 at 10:27 AM Post #1,064 of 1,934
The Fiio R9? That has nothing to do with 'effeciency' but based on your ears and your perception. You would have to give a song as an example to start with that has 'little to no body'. Also there are other factors: Are you getting a complete seal on the headphone? You also may be used to too much 'body' that anything less will feel anemic.

A more powerful amp will not give it additional body. It could be it just doesn't match your preference which is totally acceptable.
A handful of hardwares was at my disposal. The E3 fares well with more powerful amps. Sure you’d probably get by just using a portable DAP or small desktop setup just don’t expect it to sing to you optimally.
0CBBCE0C-A0CA-479D-B999-913A7B96EEFC.jpeg9F22CEE5-1701-498C-986D-C3D171F7C6BA.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back