Dan Clark Audio E3 Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Jan 23, 2024 at 9:08 AM Post #961 of 1,888
I hope it's okay if I continue to let you guys know about the E3 unit I have that's rattling (my second rattling pair) - today I discovered that there is actually loose metamaterial in the left driver too, I didn't notice until I looked closer with a light, but yes, unmistakably loose bits in my driver, I can move them around with my finger through the film, I found this quite insane. Moving the metamaterial around didn't remove/change the rattling in the left driver either, meaning there are two separate issues with this second unit! Both on the same ear. I didn't want to prod at the loose material in fear of anything getting worse, but I wanted to check if it was movable, it was indeed.

I feel the need to reiterate, I got these only 2 days ago, I've owned TOTL headphones for 3+ years and sold them in like-new condition, I take good care of my units ... I've never seen QC issues this serious before.
Do not taunt the meta material! (We’ll have to wait for DCA to respond to your issues.)

Jan 23, 2024 at 9:11 AM Post #962 of 1,888
I hope it's okay if I continue to let you guys know about the E3 unit I have that's rattling (my second rattling pair) - today I discovered that there is actually loose metamaterial in the left driver too, I didn't notice until I looked closer with a light, but yes, unmistakably loose bits in my driver, I can move them around with my finger through the film, I found this quite insane. Moving the metamaterial around didn't remove/change the rattling in the left driver either, meaning there are two separate issues with this second unit! Both on the same ear. I didn't want to prod at the loose material in fear of anything getting worse, but I wanted to check if it was movable, it was indeed.

I feel the need to reiterate, I got these only 2 days ago, I've owned TOTL headphones for 3+ years and sold them in like-new condition, I take good care of my units ... I've never seen QC issues this serious before.
Concerning for sure. I'd definitely be interested to hear if this is isolated and you are just unfortunate or if this is something everyone should inspect.
Do you have a picture or something you can refer to out of curiosity?
Hopefully this is something that can be caught and corrected for the future if it is any kind of a flaw. I know with the pad issues with the Noire DCA was great in standing by and working with customers.

Jan 23, 2024 at 2:23 PM Post #963 of 1,888

I PM'd you my contact info to hear from you.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jan 23, 2024 at 5:43 PM Post #964 of 1,888
Do you have a picture or something you can refer to out of curiosity?
Hopefully this is something that can be caught and corrected for the future if it is any kind of a flaw. I know with the pad issues with the Noire DCA was great in standing by and working with customers.
Things were all addressed the day after discovery, extremely fast customer service. Spoke personally with Dan and Andrew and they were both very understanding. It seems I got rather unlucky twice in a row, otherwise they haven't heard of this issue on any other unit. They're sending me a new pair. I don't believe there is any reason for there to be any concern past these instances, I just happened to get unlucky (twice) - weirder things have happened. I won't share pictures, I've shared them with Dan and I believe that is enough, I don't think publicizing it too much is fair to them. I feel maybe it was too hasty to share this info in the first place, but I do feel it's something that was worth noting.

Jan 23, 2024 at 5:48 PM Post #965 of 1,888
Things were all addressed the day after discovery, extremely fast customer service
My experience with DCA customer service and their distributor in my country has been excellent.

Jan 23, 2024 at 6:37 PM Post #966 of 1,888
Things were all addressed the day after discovery, extremely fast customer service. Spoke personally with Dan and Andrew and they were both very understanding. It seems I got rather unlucky twice in a row, otherwise they haven't heard of this issue on any other unit. They're sending me a new pair. I don't believe there is any reason for there to be any concern past these instances, I just happened to get unlucky (twice) - weirder things have happened. I won't share pictures, I've shared them with Dan and I believe that is enough, I don't think publicizing it too much is fair to them. I feel maybe it was too hasty to share this info in the first place, but I do feel it's something that was worth noting.
That's great to hear and good on DCA!

Jan 23, 2024 at 7:14 PM Post #967 of 1,888
Would anyone happen to have a good suggestion for headphone amp for the DCA E3? I was told my Apollo x8 wasn't powerful enough to sufficiently make use of these headphones. Slightly off-topic question, but would anyone know of a way to still utilize the DAC in the Apollo x8 but use the amp of an external headphone amp instead, I feel like there's a way but I'm missing something crucial? I'd really rather not make half my interface moot, but a new amp sounds great.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2024 at 7:26 PM Post #968 of 1,888
Would anyone happen to have a good suggestion for headphone amp for the DCA E3? I was told my Apollo x8 wasn't powerful enough to sufficiently make use of these headphones. Slightly off-topic question, but would anyone know of a way to still utilize the DAC in the Apollo x8 but use the amp of an external headphone amp instead, I feel like there's a way but I'm missing something crucial? I'd really rather not make half my interface moot, but a new amp sounds great.
Schiit Mjolnir 3 is great with E3.

Jan 23, 2024 at 7:27 PM Post #969 of 1,888
I can't comment on the Apollo you have, but if you read a bit on this thread you'll come across quite a few different pairings that have worked well with the E3.

Jan 23, 2024 at 7:31 PM Post #970 of 1,888
My RME ADI-2 Dac FS works really well. I use gryphon when I’m out and about

Jan 23, 2024 at 7:42 PM Post #971 of 1,888
Magni unity with dac for easy all in one. Schiit lyr+ in solid state mode is also amazing. I compared to a friends high end amp selection and it easily sounded as good.

Jan 23, 2024 at 8:27 PM Post #972 of 1,888
You should be able to use the X8 as the DAC/processor and use the monitor stereo line-level outputs to drive a headphone amp of your choice with it.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jan 23, 2024 at 8:46 PM Post #973 of 1,888
You should be able to use the X8 as the DAC/processor and use the monitor stereo line-level outputs to drive a headphone amp of your choice with it.
Currently doing that, though the configuration will need some adjustment because I am utilizing two computers. I swap between each with a 2-input switch - now wishing I had a 4-input switch. The E3 on the Lyr 3 is superb, I don't believe I've ever heard a better headphone in my life. Thanks again for your help today, can't wait to have it all solved shortly!

Jan 24, 2024 at 3:32 AM Post #974 of 1,888
Currently doing that, though the configuration will need some adjustment because I am utilizing two computers. I swap between each with a 2-input switch - now wishing I had a 4-input switch. The E3 on the Lyr 3 is superb, I don't believe I've ever heard a better headphone in my life. Thanks again for your help today, can't wait to have it all solved shortly!

What switcher are you using? I bought one off Amazon to A/B test, and it produced a lot of electrical interference/noise which made any testing impossible....

Jan 24, 2024 at 4:21 AM Post #975 of 1,888
Have you tried that?
It is much more realistic and long-lasting if you take something away from the E3 from 90khz onwards
Bass/Low end becomes more compact, tighter,punchier and cleaner😉

IMG_9429.jpeg

NOMAX
That's some impressive hearing capability.:robot:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back