Dan Clark Audio E3 Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Jan 11, 2024 at 2:18 AM Post #661 of 2,026
It's half the price which is going to be interesting for their sales. The way its being reviewed which is that in general as far as I can see abreast of the Internet , it shares the same qualities, and most importantly, the staging and imaging qualities as the double priced next up the food chain is going to seriously buck the trend of likely purchasing triggers for the 1k buyer to suddenly going double for it. For sure there are plenty of options between 1k and 2k , but this things arrival on the scene is so intriguing , such a splash , and an instant classic , with all of the tried and tested and proven top top quality (stealth etc) and knowledge of those, suddenly being poured into this form and plopped onto the scene. I love it. So interesting, as a bystander. Because its not cheap still as a bystander, yet for those reasons.... It makes the Noire now this ,,, thing... haha.. this 1k hmmmm,,
iwasnt gonna spend 1k but then inwas but now,,, hmm, I think I'm actually gonna spend 2k!.... bystander as in most likely I shouldn't be thinking of buying this.... most likely. I should just buy ath WP-900 and move on!
Might want to listen for yourself before you assume too much based on honeymoon period reviews - all of which are too positive IMO.

Jan 11, 2024 at 6:02 AM Post #663 of 2,026
E3 needs at least 1.5W to reach it's full potential. Most DAP just can't provide that huge current to E3. Even the AK kann ultra.
Hello! Can you please explain what the 1.5W suggestion is based on? You mentioned current, i.e., amperage, expressed in amperes and watt is a unit of power, right? I am just trying to understand whether what I have can drive E3 to its full potential or not.

Jan 11, 2024 at 6:17 AM Post #664 of 2,026
Hello! Can you please explain what the 1.5W suggestion is based on? You mentioned current, i.e., amperage, expressed in amperes and watt is a unit of power, right? I am just trying to understand whether what I have can drive E3 to its full potential or not.

I think it's probably better if you just hook them up directly to your nearest electrical substation, then you'll hear the difference.

Jan 11, 2024 at 7:04 AM Post #666 of 2,026
I suggest that you compare the specs of Fiio M17 and Fiio M15S. M17 is thick as a brick, but it should drive DCAE3 well. M15S can't drive E3 unless you approve listening quietly. The announced watts of DAP's can be misleading compared to HPA's. E.g Cayin HA-3a is in one watt balanced category, but it should drive E3 well. Full potential on the other hanf is a bit dangerous concept and I think everybody should find his or hers own one.

Jan 11, 2024 at 8:22 AM Post #667 of 2,026
Thanks, everyone! I meant, in general, "E3 needs at least 1.5W to reach it's full potential." seemed to me such a categorical statement that I was wondering if there is some credible (whatever that means but for the lack of a better word for now) information on this from the manufacturer or from some measurements that irrefutably prove this, etc. I have a Mojo 2. Some say here it's enough, and some say E3 needs 1W and beyond. Probably, theorizing on these points is the beauty of the game here, and that's completely okay.

Jan 11, 2024 at 8:31 AM Post #668 of 2,026
Thanks, everyone! I meant, in general, "E3 needs at least 1.5W to reach it's full potential." seemed to me such a categorical statement that I was wondering if there is some credible (whatever that means but for the lack of a better word for now) information on this from the manufacturer or from some measurements that irrefutably prove this, etc. I have a Mojo 2. Some say here it's enough, and some say E3 needs 1W and beyond. Probably, theorizing on these points is the beauty of the game here, and that's completely okay.
It is not possible to establish the required power without knowing the maximum listening volume, which will vary greatly depending on the listener.

Jan 11, 2024 at 9:46 AM Post #670 of 2,026
Here is some DAP options from headfonics if you wanna drive E3 on the go.

https://headfonics.com/dan-clark-audio-e3-review/2/

❗️You need at least minimum 1.5 watts into 32 ohms❗

NOMAX

I say this because I agree with Nomax's statement at very first of his impressions that although extremely portable, it is very hard to drive.
E3 works well on desktop systems. If you really wish to take on the go, and listen at moderate to loud volumes, beside some DAP options from headfonics, you most likely have to carry a brick (portable amp with your phone or dap together), which is not pocket friendly to my portable standards. Mojo 2 does works well with E3 when I tested at the dealer. But still lacking clarity compare to Hugo 2.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2024 at 9:50 AM Post #671 of 2,026
1.5W per channel of headroom me thinks.. and as Currawong says...its how the first few hundrew mWatts are delivered that matters.

Happy to have these winging to me now.....bit of a closed-back planar lover..that density that comes with CBs !

Jan 11, 2024 at 9:51 AM Post #672 of 2,026
What kind of dB will 1.5W get you? :wink:

Also, are we saying that the volume we get from E3 with 1.5W of power is the E3's "full potential"?
E3 has a 84 dB/mW. So 1,5 W will produce 116 dB of sound level. In my case, which I listen with maximum peaks of 95 dB, I would need about 12 mW. Even leaving a margin of 6 dB just in case, I would only need 48 mW.

Honestly, hearing at 116 dB is not full potential to me, it is pain.

Jan 11, 2024 at 9:54 AM Post #673 of 2,026
E3 has a 84 dB/mW. So 1,5 W will produce 116 dB of sound level. In my case, which I listen with maximum peaks of 95 dB, I would need about 12 mW. Even leaving a margin of 6 dB just in case, I would only need 48 mW.

Honestly, hearing at 116 dB is not full potential to me, it is pain.
It's actually even more sensitive than that. It's 90db/mW. To get to 116db you only need 398mw of power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back