Dan Clark Audio E3 Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Dec 25, 2023 at 9:44 PM Post #481 of 1,893
I have a JDS Element III Mk.2 and I tried both the Liric and the E3 with it side by side. I feel they are both very (to within a margin of opinion) close but the Liric had more sub-bass and more treble extension, with more upper detail.
If you try more expensive amps at the dealer, you will hear the difference.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2023 at 9:58 PM Post #482 of 1,893
Well, it depends on your listening levels. If you are listening at low volume (70 db or below I will say), almost every portable dap or dac will work. Most DAP don't work well at higher volume to E3 due to low or limited current/ battery powered, which typical planar magnetic headphones demands. I suggest try both at the dealer, test your favorite songs before you buy. I will definitely keep both. But if you can only have one and you already have a good amp (chord hugo 2, mojo 2, RME 4pro se, ifi dsd diablo 2 for example) go with the E3.
You could get a g5 and that would work for very high listening levels. After that for desktop even a magni unity is beyond what they need for good clean power. A normal rme (non pro) is also sufficient.

I listen on a few different amps and ended up settling on an element 3 mk 2 boosted. Full detail and clean sounding. Also way more detailed than the liric.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2023 at 5:09 AM Post #485 of 1,893
If I go with the E3s then driving them isn't going to cause any problems. I'm disabled so walking with headphones on is virtually impossible. My Lehmann Linear will drive anything I throw at them.

Dec 26, 2023 at 10:34 AM Post #486 of 1,893
I'm very interested to see how these compare to the Noire's, since I actually had those for awhile. If the E3 does indeed have more dynamics (punch/impact/slam/etc) from the bassport, and any wider soundstage than the Noire, then it pretty much fixes anything I thought was missing from the Noire's, which otherwise were so comfortable with what I found to be a natural sound.

I assume the Qudelix 5k's 2.0v RMS would be enough juice for 'on the go' @mrspeakers ? I know many folks here say you need a lot of power, but often exaggerated IMHO. I'm not often using these kind of headphones on the bus....so mostly remote work/laptop. I have the JDS Element MKII for desktop.

Hopefully they make it to the shop here in Copenhagen!

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2023 at 11:01 AM Post #487 of 1,893
I'm very interested to see how these compare to the Noire's, since I actually had those for awhile. If the E3 does indeed have more dynamics (punch/impact/slam/etc) from the bassport, and any wider soundstage than the Noire, then it pretty much fixes anything I thought was missing from the Noire's, which otherwise were so comfortable with what I found to be a natural sound.

I assume the Qudelix 5k's 2.0v RMS would be enough juice for 'on the go' @mrspeakers ? I know many folks here say you need a lot of power, but often exaggerated IMHO. I'm not often using these kind of headphones on the bus....so mostly remote work/laptop. I have the JDS Element MKII for desktop.

Yes, the E3 is more dynamic and detailed than the Noire’s. I used the Noire’s daily for the last 2 years and they are up for sale now.

Dec 26, 2023 at 2:29 PM Post #488 of 1,893
I know many folks here say you need a lot of power, but often exaggerated IMHO.
That is more of the removal of any glass ceiling on performance with those fast and short peak current draws on complex music passages..
Lot of these 2022+ dongle DACs bring a baseline OK sound at lower volumes RU7/BTR7/Qdelix but that 500mW ceiling vs 1watt or 1.5 watts will be heard in the headroom breathing space those levels create.

Looking good for Hugo2 owners anway - so far....

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #489 of 1,893

E3 sound like a much more open and dynamic Noire. Like a Noire + more detail + more bass.

Dec 27, 2023 at 12:48 AM Post #491 of 1,893
tonal balance is far superior too, noire was very peaky in the treble for me
Out of curiosity, did you use any of the tuning pads included in the Noire set ?

Dec 27, 2023 at 8:41 AM Post #493 of 1,893
Yes, the E3 is more dynamic and detailed than the Noire’s. I used the Noire’s daily for the last 2 years and they are up for sale now.

E3 sound like a much more open and dynamic Noire. Like a Noire + more detail + more bass.

Sounds very promising! Just have to wait to start working again....and get saving.

Dec 27, 2023 at 11:31 AM Post #494 of 1,893
@mrspeakers its hard to get a sense of listening volume without a calibrated rig, but I was curious if you could share what mojo 2 volume color range you listen to? I find I’m usually somewhere between white + orange through white + green but have no idea what SPL that is roughly.
The easiest way to tell is to download the Decibel X app for free. Turn on your Music to the volume in question then put the phone down on a counter or desk and set the headphone ear pad to cover the phone’s mic, try to get a seal.

OSHA starts considering slow SPL, not fast peak, over 90db should be limited to 8 hours at 90 and 4 hours at 95. For myself I usually listen 85-90db peak but allow it to 95 for brief periods.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 27, 2023 at 12:31 PM Post #495 of 1,893
The easiest way to tell is to download the Decibel X app for free. Turn on your Music to the volume in question then put the phone down on a counter or desk and set the headphone ear pad to cover the phone’s mic, try to get a seal.

OSHA starts considering slow SPL, not fast peak, over 90db should be limited to 8 hours at 90 and 4 hours at 95. For myself I usually listen 85-90db peak but allow it to 95 for brief periods.
Your phone isn't a calibrated mic, and will not measure spl evenly through the frequency range. Also the lack of a seal means you don't measure bass spl almost at all.

If you measure by phone, add 5db to be safe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back