Dan Clark Audio E3 Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Dec 12, 2023 at 10:35 AM Post #274 of 2,028
@mrspeakers what about driver size?
Same bigger, smaller than one that is inside Stealth?
Same as Ether, a little smaller than Stealth/expanse.

Can anyone, including @mrspeakers comment on sound leakage? How buttoned up are the new E3s?
pretty good. Above 90 db there’s a little outward leakage but it’s reasonable. Inbound noise blocking is very good.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 12, 2023 at 10:54 AM Post #275 of 2,028
pretty good. Above 90 db there’s a little outward leakage but it’s reasonable. Inbound noise blocking is very good.
That reflects my experience as well. It doesn’t of block everything out (as is to be expected), but it’s no problem concentrating on the music without having to turn up loud.
In a silent room another person might hear faint noises, but nothing dramatic.

Dec 12, 2023 at 11:59 AM Post #276 of 2,028
Same as Ether, a little smaller than Stealth/expanse.

But what is the actual surface area, accounting for the creasing that is used for the driver of the E3? You could take and stretch that puppy out and then measure it. . ? :^)

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2023 at 1:33 PM Post #277 of 2,028
But what is the actual surface area, accounting for the creasing that is used for the driver of the E3? You could take and stretch that puppy out and then measure it. . ? :^)
The pleating effect on area is nominal and stretching wouldn't work because with thin PET and AL you'd likely distort it. But the dimensions are 72x45mm.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Dec 12, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #278 of 2,028
The pleating effect on area is nominal and stretching wouldn't work because with thin PET and AL you'd likely distort it. But the dimensions are 72x45mm.
I understand. I was just wondering with the "fine" pleating, what the actual surface area would be since it would have to be larger than that measured without factoring in the pleating.

I am driving the Expanse with the DX220MAX from iBasso. Amazingly, it drives them very well, solid well controlled bass and nice deep and wide sound staging and good transparency so I can only imagine, the E3 would be no issue with some of the more powerful DAPs like the MAX series.

Dec 12, 2023 at 5:27 PM Post #280 of 2,028

Dec 12, 2023 at 9:33 PM Post #282 of 2,028
Looking at the feedback, it seems that E3 is not just a headphone with AMTS installed on AEON 2 Noire. I'm particularly interested in the vocalization of the E3 that some people have mentioned. I used the AEON 2 Noire to watch movies for about a year. It was a great experience, but eventually my ears began to hurt. Yes, watching movies for extended periods of time with closed-back headphones is not recommended. However, with the E3 equipped with AMTS, I think I can do that without hurting my ears. Or an open back version of the E3 would be interesting to me.
I'm currently using Arya Stealth, and I'm sometimes troubled by its sharpness. Other than that it's perfect...
I too listen to movies with headphones. I am in the market to purchase a new set for this very purpose although is will also be used for music listening.

Dec 13, 2023 at 12:45 AM Post #283 of 2,028
Actually that's not correct, we ship with FedEx and they contact the customer to collect duties.

FWIW the EU price is very close to US+ship+duties.
On that note, any chance you'll switch from FedEx or allow shipping with UPS for a fee?

With their whole "signature needed but not really, but also maybe?" and shoddy on-time performance, buying from you guys always makes me a tad nervous. That and how their warehouse is 30 miles away for me, and they don't do weekend delivery.

I know you guys have your reasons, but still...

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2023 at 3:21 AM Post #284 of 2,028
On that note, any chance you'll switch from FedEx or allow shipping with UPS for a fee?
^Yes this! I never order anything anymore if Fedex is only deliver option.

Dec 13, 2023 at 5:58 AM Post #285 of 2,028
can anyone compare e3 to d8000 pro? specifically, i am interested in tonal balance comparison and which one has a more forward midrange. Also, in @Currawong 's review, he said something confusing. He mentioned a v-shaped signature but then called it forward. To me, those statements would be opposite as i would consider v-shaped to have a recessed midrange.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back