Dan Clark Audio E3 Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Dec 8, 2023 at 4:35 PM Post #256 of 1,925
Oh, Plakat... you were weak again... :thermometer_face: :wink: Anyway, enjoy both of them a lot (the Composer and the E3). I'm being strong keeping at around "less than 300 € cans"...

I prefer to buy trees... Yes, call me crazy :rolling_eyes: Lately, fruit trees have also increased their prices... Anyway, not like the headphones in the recent years... :relieved:

Dec 8, 2023 at 4:46 PM Post #257 of 1,925
Oh, Plakat... you were weak again... :thermometer_face: :wink: Anyway, enjoy both of them a lot (the Composer and the E3). I'm being strong keeping at around "less than 300 € cans"...

I prefer to buy trees... Yes, call me crazy :rolling_eyes: Lately, fruit trees have also increased their prices... Anyway, not like the headphones in the recent years... :relieved:
At least I resisted the calls of the Stealth :wink: Plus I did reduce my activity vs. past years by quite a bit. Yet I think this is now enough, I now own some Grados (of which I'll keep the GH2 and the PS500, selling the RS-1 button and the Hemp), the Composer as a really fine open headphone and the E3 as a very good closed one. Will also care more about the midrange offerings (and no, the E3 price level is not midrange...).

I don't really have space for fruit trees beyond the few there already are (1 apple, 2 pears) but I do grow tomatoes, pumpkin, chili and strawberries -- though the seeds are really inexpensive: I always collect some from last years crop. Oh, and basil...

Dec 8, 2023 at 4:56 PM Post #258 of 1,925
At least I resisted the calls of the Stealth :wink: Plus I did reduce my activity vs. past years by quite a bit. Yet I think this is now enough, I now own some Grados (of which I'll keep the GH2 and the PS500, selling the RS-1 button and the Hemp), the Composer as a really fine open headphone and the E3 as a very good closed one. Will also care more about the midrange offerings (and no, the E3 price level is not midrange...).

I don't really have space for fruit trees beyond the few there already are (1 apple, 2 pears) but I do grow tomatoes, pumpkin, chili and strawberries -- though the seeds are really inexpensive: I always collect some from last years crop. Oh, and basil...
Don't worry my friend... I'll ask @jude to prepare a new CanJam in the island where I live, where you can go to beaches and also to my ecological terrains to help me with my tasks... Don't forget your headphones when you come here... :relieved:

I remember that one forum member (Wishmaker) planned to come here in the pandemic dark era... But he left the forum and I lost contact with him... I don't know if you remember him from the 9200's thread... I had a very good time with people there (and also in the closed back thread).

Anyway, sorry for the OT guys :beerchug: Enjoy a lot your DCA E3, I will enjoy a lot my fruit trees and cheaper cans :wink:

Dec 8, 2023 at 8:42 PM Post #259 of 1,925
The Liric soundstage is quite a bit smaller than that of the E3. Side by side listening, the difference is quite dramatic, with the E3 sounding better in every way.

I had a spare Moon Audio Silver Dragon (which, despite being silver, is not a "bright" cable) and it makes the E3 a bit mellower, which I prefer sometimes.
Nice! That's what I expected.
Just booked the appointment for the first E3 launch at the dealer. Hope it sound as good as my expectation. If yes, I will definitely take it and replace my current Celestee. After tons of finding and researching, finally find the best portable wired closed back!!

But still, if Dan can figure out a more efficient driver in the future generations, it will be nearly perfect and dominate high end portable headphone market.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2023 at 9:56 AM Post #262 of 1,925
@mrspeakers I'm really kinda of curious on something. I see in one of the bass ports, top one, that there looks to be some kind of filter material in there? What would happens if that was removed in terms of bass response? I know it would probably void the warranty but just curious.

Really enjoying my E3 so far- good work, it's quite the departure from the Noire I have.

Dec 9, 2023 at 1:28 PM Post #264 of 1,925
But still, if Dan can figure out a more efficient driver in the future generations, it will be nearly perfect and dominate high end portable headphone market.

👍

Provided a design/constrution that is no longer so bulky.....but he should expand his production facility first...because the market for easy-to-drive models that belong
to the future is many times larger 😎

NOMAX

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2023 at 4:00 PM Post #265 of 1,925
@mrspeakers I'm really kinda of curious on something. I see in one of the bass ports, top one, that there looks to be some kind of filter material in there? What would happens if that was removed in terms of bass response? I know it would probably void the warranty but just curious.

Really enjoying my E3 so far- good work, it's quite the departure from the Noire I have.
Do not mess with the upper port it is for balancing bass and will permanently de-tune your headphone. :beerchug:

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 10, 2023 at 12:02 AM Post #266 of 1,925
Continuing the comparison of E3 to LCD-2C, found the E3 thrives on fast detailed music. Rush and Police sound great, punchy and hitting high notes without harshness, soundly beating the LCD-2C on this genre.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2023 at 5:22 PM Post #267 of 1,925
E3 on order. Using that Club DCA discount for the first time.

Dec 11, 2023 at 5:57 PM Post #269 of 1,925
Well that didn't take long! Our first E3 award! Thanks to Headphone.guru!

Headphone.Guru_POTY2023-DAN CLARK AUDIO E3.jpg

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 12, 2023 at 2:42 AM Post #270 of 1,925
Looking at the feedback, it seems that E3 is not just a headphone with AMTS installed on AEON 2 Noire. I'm particularly interested in the vocalization of the E3 that some people have mentioned. I used the AEON 2 Noire to watch movies for about a year. It was a great experience, but eventually my ears began to hurt. Yes, watching movies for extended periods of time with closed-back headphones is not recommended. However, with the E3 equipped with AMTS, I think I can do that without hurting my ears. Or an open back version of the E3 would be interesting to me.
I'm currently using Arya Stealth, and I'm sometimes troubled by its sharpness. Other than that it's perfect...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back