Dan Clark Audio E3 Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Dec 6, 2023 at 1:20 PM Post #196 of 2,030
Anybody can compare them to anything from Hifiman’s open back line-up? Specifically I’m very interested about the tonality, I’m looking for a closed planar similar to Sundara/Susvara/He1000 Stealth sonic family, thanks in advance!
I have the HE1000 Stealth and my E3's are coming in today, I'll let you know.

Dec 6, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #197 of 2,030
Anybody can compare them to anything from Hifiman’s open back line-up? Specifically I’m very interested about the tonality, I’m looking for a closed planar similar to Sundara/Susvara/He1000 Stealth sonic family, thanks in advance!

E3 has much more body and weight as HE1000SE...Voices are also much more present with the E3😎

NOMAX

PS.I think the E3 has the greatest strength in the midrange and treble range,even a Susvara is left behind here

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2023 at 2:16 PM Post #198 of 2,030
I have the HE1000 Stealth and my E3's are coming in today, I'll let you know.
That would be great, I own HE1000 Stealth too, looking forward to your findings, thanks!

E3 has much more body and weight as HE1000SE...Voices are also much more present with the E3😎

NOMAX

PS.I think the E3 has the greatest strength in the midrange and treble range,even a Susvara is left behind here
Thanks, would you say the sonic profile is similar to Susvara’s? That’s one of the things I appreciate the most from Susvara.

Dec 6, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #199 of 2,030
Thanks, would you say the sonic profile is similar to Susvara’s? That’s one of the things I appreciate the most from Susvara.
Don't worry, the E3 is bright/airy enough and illuminates the room very nicely, and since it is much more present in the mids as Susvara,the voices come out very well
and are not lost in the mix, which means that you can localize them very well in front of you 👍
(What I would like to say about In Front of you.... is that, strangely enough, the voice always plays in front of you at eye level, not down in front of you, at nose or mouth level)

NOMAX

PS.lol

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2023 at 2:36 PM Post #200 of 2,030
Going way back, but I own the MrSpeakers Alpha Prime, which sound quite good provided you have enough power to drive em. Perhaps a stretch, but is anyone able to compare the Alpha Prime to the E3?

I'm tempted to grab a pair and find out myself. I'm running Bifrost 2/64 and Mjolnir 2.

Dec 6, 2023 at 3:40 PM Post #201 of 2,030
@mrspeakers are the pads swappables?

And for the people here that have tried them, how do you find the clamp pressure? Do you find the headphones comfortable? I have big ears and, for example, the Denon 9200s barely fit my ears... I was going for the EMU teaks but the hole of the pads is smaller compared to the 9200s, so a no way for me...

Thanks in advance.

Don't worry, the E3 is bright/airy enough and illuminates the room very nicely, and since it is much more present in the mids as Susvara,the voices come out very well
and are not lost in the mix, which means that you can localize them very well in front of you 👍
(What I would like to say about In Front of you.... is that, strangely enough, the voice always plays in front of you at eye level, not down in front of you, at nose or mouth level)

NOMAX

PS.lol
Are you still messing with the E3 bass? :relieved: :beerchug:

Dec 6, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #202 of 2,030
DAP’s users encounter a big problem if they want to purchase the E3, they are quite scared not to drive them well..
In addition to the M17 the DX320 with the Amp 11 module has over a watt at 32 ohms and should work with 4dB less peak output than the M17 (which is hugely powerful).

The Cayin N8ii is another option with just a few db less output than the DX320, same for the Mojo 2.

Annoyingly AK still only posts output voltage swing as if power into a load is irrelevant so who knows, but in my experience they are mostly best for IEMs and dynamics. The original Kann had the moxy, I can't speak to the new flavors.

Much depends on your listening level, if you really like it loud the M17 is the choice, but for rational listening levels any of these have more power than I will use, and I enjoy peak levels up to 95dB, though for continuous listening I tend to hover more like 85db peak.

@mrspeakers are the pads swappables?

And for the people here that have tried them, how do you find the clamp pressure? Do you find the headphones comfortable? I have big ears and, for example, the Denon 9200s barely fit my ears... I was going for the EMU teaks but the hole of the pads is smaller compared to the 9200s, so a no way for me...

Thanks in advance.
Yes, the pads are essentially taped down, it's easy to replace.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 6, 2023 at 5:03 PM Post #204 of 2,030
Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Dec 6, 2023 at 7:28 PM Post #205 of 2,030

NOMAX

PS.lol
Having the image in front was achieved with the AMTS... We wanted the experience to be as lifelike as possible meant looking straight at the performance, so to speak, vs at some angle, added to the immersion.

Dec 6, 2023 at 8:57 PM Post #206 of 2,030
Having the image in front was achieved with the AMTS... We wanted the experience to be as lifelike as possible meant looking straight at the performance, so to speak, vs at some angle, added to the immersion.
Ok, ordered. It has to be a significant upgrade to Aeon 2 Noire when used with Mojo2/Poly. I’ve been using A2Noire with Mojo (1 then 2) daily for over 2.5 years with no urge to upgrade this portable rig. We shall see (uh, hear)!

Dec 6, 2023 at 9:08 PM Post #207 of 2,030
Mabey I'll replace my aeon2 opens with these next year.

@mrspeakers hard question but do you think the edges of the earpad foam will roll over and require rolling back like on aeons?

I haven't needed to with my stealth yet but don't wear glasses with them, and I do with my daily driver aeons which likely amplifys the... I don't want to say problem... Mabey quirk is a better term?

Dec 6, 2023 at 9:36 PM Post #208 of 2,030
In a system with ample power and excluding the cost differences are there SQ reasons why the E3 might be preferred compared to Stealth? I like the Steath and am open to improvement.

Dec 6, 2023 at 9:42 PM Post #209 of 2,030
In a system with ample power and excluding the cost differences are there SQ reasons why the E3 might be preferred compared to Stealth? I like the Steath and am open to improvement.

Dan might address this himself but summarizing what I've read from the reviewers who have tested both, it boils down to sound signature preferences. The E3 has a slightly higher treble response which seems to be the main difference.

Dec 6, 2023 at 11:55 PM Post #210 of 2,030
Mabey I'll replace my aeon2 opens with these next year.

@mrspeakers hard question but do you think the edges of the earpad foam will roll over and require rolling back like on aeons?

I haven't needed to with my stealth yet but don't wear glasses with them, and I do with my daily driver aeons which likely amplifys the... I don't want to say problem... Mabey quirk is a better term?
Pads are nice and stable like Stealth.

I wouldn’t suggest you’d benefit much… they are different, but not miles. Stealth is a little more resolving, also has nicer leather, the tone is similar but a bit more upper octave energy is there in E3. Stealth’s distortion is a little lower too, and the leather is nicer, plus it is nicer looking with the work we put into the metal, and Stealth is lighter, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back