Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 Noire Discussion/Impressions Thread
Jan 16, 2024 at 7:23 AM Post #931 of 981
I used audeze planers and they were dynamic enough, so im hoping these are same like those
If you used focal clear, how they compare to these planars? Like clarity, details, microdetails

More detail, more clarity, but less slam. The Clears were more "fun" sounding with more quantity of bass, but I ultimately found the AN2 to be more realistic in overall presentation.

Jan 16, 2024 at 1:31 PM Post #932 of 981
I saw an video/article where Dan Clark discussed his tuning philosophy and he said that the perceived “lack of slam” was actually a byproduct of properly damping the drivers as needed to get proper tonality.

Frankly I am more than happy with the Noire’s level of slam as a trade off for its excellent tonality.

Jan 18, 2024 at 8:47 PM Post #933 of 981
How bad the dynamics are? I heard people saying they sound dead, like no soul inside the music
It’s like the difference between balanced armature bass and dynamic driver bass. BA’s have bass and can have good extension, but they lack that slam that dynamic drivers.

Jan 18, 2024 at 9:42 PM Post #934 of 981
How bad the dynamics are? I heard people saying they sound dead, like no soul inside the music
They don't slam but volume swings and differences in volume between instruments are great.

Mar 4, 2024 at 1:29 PM Post #936 of 981
Recently purchased the Noire’s, little underwhelmed using them with my IFi Zen dac/can stack. Anyone have experience using them with the Aune S9C Pro? I’d love something that can bring out the soundstage

DCA + Audeze... are not the place to go if you are looking for immersive soundstage.

If you want soundstage then you go to Hifiman.
Find a set of used HE1000 v2, and you'll have plenty of soundstage.
If the HE1000v2 is more then you need, but just slightly, then get a Kennerton Thror, (very expensive).. as it has a really nice SS and also sounds better than a Hifiman.
OR...If you want even more... if you want ultra-soundstage, then get the HD800S.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2024 at 3:05 PM Post #937 of 981
DCA + Audeze... are not the place to go if you are looking for immersive soundstage.

If you want soundstage then you go to Hifiman.
Find a set of used HE1000 v2, and you'll have plenty of soundstage.
If the HE1000v2 is more then you need, but just slightly, then get a Kennerton Thror, (very expensive).. as it has a really nice SS and also sounds better than a Hifiman.
OR...If you want even more... if you want ultra-soundstage, then get the HD800S.
Now you are comparing open vs closed which is totally unfair as you will have to work hard to get an open headphone have a smaller soundstage with more resonances then truly closed.

As for closed headphones jvc dx 1000 do pretty good. Guess how it does it. Teletubby cups to put drivers further away. It works :)

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2024 at 5:51 PM Post #938 of 981
Now you are comparing open vs closed which is totally unfair as you will have to work hard to get an open headphone have a smaller soundstage with more resonances then truly closed.

As for closed headphones jvc dx 1000 do pretty good. Guess how it does it. Teletubby cups to put drivers further away. It works :)

Well, if great soundstage is a required feature that someone wants, then a closed set of headphones is not where you try to find it..

And yes, if you mod a closed set or an open set by putting on big thick pads, then you have created a larger sonic "room" between your ears and the driver, so, you'll perceive more soundstage, but you lose something in the FR, in return.

One of the ways that Headphone makers try to get you to buy their closed sets, is they tell you that "its almost like a open back".
No its not.
Its a closed back and its going to have an intimate presentation, as compared to the open version.
The Physics of Sound, don't ever change, while the marketing hype is ever evolving.
And truth be told... if a Maker is trying to sell a new "closed" gear by talking about "its soundstage is almost like an open back", then that is because they cant sell it based on its GREAT SOUND< or they would be talking about that, instead of soundstage perception.
Some of the ZMF's that are closed, are reasonably wide, regarding soundstage.

The original HE1000V2, is where you want to put your money, if you want a good sound and a "immersive sonic experience".
The HD800S is "wider", but, you lose a lot of low end.
Sennheiser makes an expensive Dac/Amp that puts it back and makes the high end of the HD800S more polite yet still very extended.

If you love closed sets, if you prefer them, then sometimes running them balanced can give you a tad more L<>R.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2024 at 8:42 PM Post #939 of 981
Recently purchased the Noire’s, little underwhelmed using them with my IFi Zen dac/can stack. Anyone have experience using them with the Aune S9C Pro? I’d love something that can bring out the soundstage
Get a Violectric V222/226, V340, 550 or a strong TC tube amp.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2024 at 9:47 PM Post #940 of 981
Well, if great soundstage is a required feature that someone wants, then a closed set of headphones is not where you try to find it..

And yes, if you mod a closed set or an open set by putting on big thick pads, then you have created a larger sonic "room" between your ears and the driver, so, you'll perceive more soundstage, but you lose something in the FR, in return.

One of the ways that Headphone makers try to get you to buy their closed sets, is they tell you that "its almost like a open back".
No its not.
Its a closed back and its going to have an intimate presentation, as compared to the open version.
The Physics of Sound, don't ever change, while the marketing hype is ever evolving.
And truth be told... if a Maker is trying to sell a new "closed" gear by talking about "its soundstage is almost like an open back", then that is because they cant sell it based on its GREAT SOUND< or they would be talking about that, instead of soundstage perception.
Some of the ZMF's that are closed, are reasonably wide, regarding soundstage.

The original HE1000V2, is where you want to put your money, if you want a good sound and a "immersive sonic experience".
The HD800S is "wider", but, you lose a lot of low end.
Sennheiser makes an expensive Dac/Amp that puts it back and makes the high end of the HD800S more polite yet still very extended.

If you love closed sets, if you prefer them, then sometimes running them balanced can give you a tad more L<>R.
Appreciate the advice. I should clarify I know it’s unrealistic to expect a large soundstage with the Noires. A better open back will be in my future, for now just looking for a DAC/amp combo under $1000 that will improve upon the IFi zen and if better SS isn’t possible then better layering/space.

I noticed more space between the instruments just plugging the Noire into my Denon home theater receiver. That was exciting but it’s single ended and due to home theater headphone jack shortcomings doesn’t have the power/volume needed. Most reviews of the Aune S9C have been very positive so I was thinking of going that route. Anybody try that combo?

Mar 4, 2024 at 10:07 PM Post #941 of 981
Appreciate the advice. I should clarify I know it’s unrealistic to expect a large soundstage with the Noires. A better open back will be in my future, for now just looking for a DAC/amp combo under $1000 that will improve upon the IFi zen and if better SS isn’t possible then better layering/space.

I noticed more space between the instruments just plugging the Noire into my Denon home theater receiver. That was exciting but it’s single ended and due to home theater headphone jack shortcomings doesn’t have the power/volume needed. Most reviews of the Aune S9C have been very positive so I was thinking of going that route. Anybody try that combo?
If you’re talking space between instruments as in layer separation type of thing, my vote would be demoing a Chord Mojo 2. What it does to transients lends itself quite well to that type of separation, and it powers the Noires adequately. Gets you some bonuses too. Portable but a good desktop mode, can be used as a DAC into another amp later on, good crossfeed, and a very well done eq even for those that don’t like eq. Also within budget 🙂

Mar 5, 2024 at 1:49 AM Post #942 of 981
Mar 5, 2024 at 10:46 AM Post #944 of 981
Interesting. I’m surprised to hear that, I didn’t think the Mojo has enough power to drive these?

The Mojo2 powers the harder to drive Stealths with relative ease.

It's a surprisingly powerful little device. The UHD EQ is nice to get a little more thump out of the bass when desired. You also can take the edge out of the AN2 a bit when desired. I highly recommended the pair.

Mar 28, 2024 at 1:36 PM Post #945 of 981
Back in the beginning of December, I received my replacement Noire and waited until my Element III came in before setting it all back up. Everything was fine for about 20 days, then my replacement pair started exhibiting the same exact issue with the left ear again…

Long story short, I sent it in about a week ago and just received word that it was an ohm failure. What’s got me completely lost is how 3 pairs have all suffered from the same problem. No one else has had this issue, especially not this frequent. Unless there’s something wrong with both my Schiit amp and the Element III? Or is my luck just that horrendous?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back