Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 Noire Discussion/Impressions Thread
Jan 14, 2024 at 7:47 AM Post #916 of 980
I own the AH-D7200 and the Noires.

In my view, they play in different leagues. As closed headphones, both isolate well from external noise and let little sound escape to the outside. The AH-D7200 lack finesse and sufficient level in high mids and treble, giving it an unnatural tonality (even in vocals), which is especially noticeable in genres such as classical. However, thdy work well on pop/rock recordings with excessive treble in the mix, and are also immune to sibilance. The Noires are much more balanced, barring a slight increase in the frequencies between 100 and 200 Hz, with neutral reproduction in the mids and just a little bit of treble overkill, so they do not mask the sibilance in the recording. The soundstage is small on the AH-D7200 and normal on the Noires. I prefer the Noires to the AH-7200, in almost everything except for some occasional recording where they have gone too far in turning up the volume in the high mids and treble.
Are dca aeon 2 noire harder to drive? Means can i drive them off my phone or macbook when i travel?

Jan 14, 2024 at 8:35 AM Post #917 of 980
Are dca aeon 2 noire harder to drive? Means can i drive them off my phone or macbook when i travel?
Noires are 84 dB/mW at 13 Ohms while the AH-7200 are 105 dB/mW at 25 Ohms, so you will need more power to obtain the same listening level as with the AT-D7200. It is imperative to know your maximum volume level, as well as the specifications of the amplifiers included in both devices, to calculate whether the cell phone or the MacBook has enough power to reach it. Without knowing this, I would venture to say that the cell phone probably won't give enough power, but the laptop will.

Jan 14, 2024 at 8:53 AM Post #918 of 980
Noires are 84 dB/mW at 13 Ohms while the AH-7200 are 105 dB/mW at 25 Ohms, so you will need more power to obtain the same listening level as with the AT-D7200. It is imperative to know your maximum volume level, as well as the specifications of the amplifiers included in both devices, to calculate whether the cell phone or the MacBook has enough power to reach it. Without knowing this, I would venture to say that the cell phone probably won't give enough power, but the laptop will.

Not sure where you got your specs from, but the Aeon Noire 2 is 92 dB SPL @ 1 mW and 13 ohms impedance. The newer MBP will be good. Any decent dongle will be good.

Yes, the Noire 2 are significantly less sensitive than the Denons (6db is considered subjectively twice as loud), but not out of bounds for a laptop or decent dongle. Plus being planar, they'll have different dynamics and presentation than the Denons. So, it's going to be hard to directly compare the two. I personally like the AN2, but end up using the Stealth more frequently.

Jan 14, 2024 at 8:54 AM Post #919 of 980
I also heard that aeon 2 noire lacks dynamics by huge amount compared to other lcd planars and dynamic drivers, due to this they are purely analytical and lacks fun
What will you say on this statement?
How the dynamics compared to d7200 or other lcd planars, if you heard them?

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2024 at 10:53 AM Post #920 of 980
Not sure where you got your specs from, but the Aeon Noire 2 is 92 dB SPL @ 1 mW and 13 ohms impedance.
Since the manufacturer's website does not provide the sensitivity data, I resorted to these headphones review in ASR, which establishes a value of 0.353 volts for a volume of 94 dB, which, together with an impedance of 13 Ohms, gives a sensitivity of 84 dB/mW.

Jan 14, 2024 at 11:01 AM Post #921 of 980
Compared to D7200 and Hifiman Ananda, the dynamics is more or less the same, but I listen to a maximum of 85-90 dB peak, so I don’t know what happens listening to a higher volume. Anyway, as always in audio, a pre-purchase listening is the only prevention against unpleasant surprises.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2024 at 12:26 PM Post #922 of 980
Since the manufacturer's website does not provide the sensitivity data, I resorted to these headphones review in ASR, which establishes a value of 0.353 volts for a volume of 94 dB, which, together with an impedance of 13 Ohms, gives a sensitivity of 84 dB/mW.

No, but HeadFi and other sites do. The numbers I quoted come from this forum.

Amir's sloppy in his measurements. You need to treat data from thst site with caution. I'm not going to go into further detail as a bit of reseach will confirm this.

DCA doesn't generally give specs as they don't really matter most of the time. Most dongles and heaphone amps can deliver the necessary power to drive them well. The newer MBP have better amplifier circuitry than other laptops. Whether it's enough power for your preference is the question. That's personal, not the headphone capabilities.

Dan is active on forums and quite helpful. The AN2 are fairly easy to drive headphones that scale well with better amplification.

Jan 14, 2024 at 3:47 PM Post #923 of 980
Not sure where you got your specs from, but the Aeon Noire 2 is 92 dB SPL @ 1 mW and 13 ohms impedance. The newer MBP will be good. Any decent dongle will be good.

Yes, the Noire 2 are significantly less sensitive than the Denons (6db is considered subjectively twice as loud), but not out of bounds for a laptop or decent dongle. Plus being planar, they'll have different dynamics and presentation than the Denons. So, it's going to be hard to directly compare the two. I personally like the AN2, but end up using the Stealth more frequently.

For 'on the go use' I was happy with the Qudelix 5k. It was not to very loud levels I admit, but I don't really use $1k headphones on the bus much anyways. (home/office)

I also heard that aeon 2 noire lacks dynamics by huge amount compared to other lcd planars and dynamic drivers, due to this they are purely analytical and lacks fun
What will you say on this statement?

The 'slam' factor of dynamics is less than a dynamic driver, yes, but there is plenty of good quality, and very deep reaching bass.

Comfort is excellent

Jan 14, 2024 at 11:22 PM Post #924 of 980
The E3’s have me a bit excited. I love my A2C with perforated ear pads (psudo-noire) but I would love that slam as well! I’d like to see what they have to offer, but the US is a demo desert for personal gear.
One counterpoint to high dynamic headphones is that they can be rather fatiguing. If you want to listen all day and in comfort go for Aeon2’s!

Jan 15, 2024 at 3:20 AM Post #925 of 980
Jan 15, 2024 at 7:23 AM Post #926 of 980
The E3’s have me a bit excited. I love my A2C with perforated ear pads (psudo-noire) but I would love that slam as well! I’d like to see what they have to offer, but the US is a demo desert for personal gear.
One counterpoint to high dynamic headphones is that they can be rather fatiguing. If you want to listen all day and in comfort go for Aeon2’s!
In the same boat here. I loved the Noire, and the E3 seem like they are Noire++ and have some more slam + bigger stage, and better pad design, making them basically address the small things I felt were lacking. I only, regretfully after many months, sold my Noire's due to the annoying pads I had to massage every time, and that I can only realistically have one pair of cans. Unfortunately the cans I kept are just not very comfy for me, but suit my listening to electronic genres which benefit from a bit more impact and soundstage compared to the Noire.

While portability was initially a big draw for me...I actually just use cheaper buds for podcasts on transit rides/out and about....where my music listening always happens at a desk, so the power requirements are not a dealbreaker. Easier to drive would be great, but comfort and sound are most important.

I just need to get employed again and try out the E3's when they make their way into town!

Jan 16, 2024 at 1:26 AM Post #927 of 980
In the same boat here. I loved the Noire, and the E3 seem like they are Noire++ and have some more slam + bigger stage, and better pad design, making them basically address the small things I felt were lacking. I only, regretfully after many months, sold my Noire's due to the annoying pads I had to massage every time, and that I can only realistically have one pair of cans. Unfortunately the cans I kept are just not very comfy for me, but suit my listening to electronic genres which benefit from a bit more impact and soundstage compared to the Noire.

While portability was initially a big draw for me...I actually just use cheaper buds for podcasts on transit rides/out and about....where my music listening always happens at a desk, so the power requirements are not a dealbreaker. Easier to drive would be great, but comfort and sound are most important.

I just need to get employed again and try out the E3's when they make their way into town!
Yes, most of my listening is done with IEMs. There is nothing more comfortable than customs that are well fitted and well made.
I too was interested in the travel size of Aeon2s but I think the tight winding and tight space had a negative effect on the cable connectors and I needed to buy a Hart cable (very happy with it)
Now I just hang my A2C on a stand by the wires and it’s perfect. I love the soundstage, balance and detail as well as the bass extension. The dynamics are the only thing holding it back from being my absolute favorite closed back.
I’d like to try the E3s but I’m enjoying the plateau of gear that I’m on right now. I have enough to just switch to something that I haven’t listened to in a while to bask something that sounds new again.

Jan 16, 2024 at 7:03 AM Post #928 of 980
Yes, most of my listening is done with IEMs. There is nothing more comfortable than customs that are well fitted and well made.
I too was interested in the travel size of Aeon2s but I think the tight winding and tight space had a negative effect on the cable connectors and I needed to buy a Hart cable (very happy with it)
Now I just hang my A2C on a stand by the wires and it’s perfect. I love the soundstage, balance and detail as well as the bass extension. The dynamics are the only thing holding it back from being my absolute favorite closed back.
I’d like to try the E3s but I’m enjoying the plateau of gear that I’m on right now. I have enough to just switch to something that I haven’t listened to in a while to bask something that sounds new again.
How bad the dynamics are? I heard people saying they sound dead, like no soul inside the music

Jan 16, 2024 at 7:13 AM Post #929 of 980
How bad the dynamics are? I heard people saying they sound dead, like no soul inside the music
It's a planar headphone. You won't get the same dynamics aa a dynamic driver. They are not dead sounding.

The planars give you clarity, soundstage, details, and holography. The AN2 does bass very well. If anything, you'll hear the true "soul" of thr music.

Jan 16, 2024 at 7:16 AM Post #930 of 980
It's a planar headphone. You won't get the same dynamics aa a dynamic driver. They are not dead sounding.

The planars give you clarity, soundstage, details, and holography. The AN2 does bass very well. If anything, you'll hear the true "soul" of thr music.
I used audeze planers and they were dynamic enough, so im hoping these are same like those
If you used focal clear, how they compare to these planars? Like clarity, details, microdetails

Users who are viewing this thread

Back