Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 Noire Discussion/Impressions Thread
Mar 28, 2024 at 2:55 PM Post #946 of 980
Back in the beginning of December, I received my replacement Noire and waited until my Element III came in before setting it all back up. Everything was fine for about 20 days, then my replacement pair started exhibiting the same exact issue with the left ear again…

Long story short, I sent it in about a week ago and just received word that it was an ohm failure. What’s got me completely lost is how 3 pairs have all suffered from the same problem. No one else has had this issue, especially not this frequent. Unless there’s something wrong with both my Schiit amp and the Element III? Or is my luck just that horrendous?
Usually start by asking the question what has changed and what is constant to try and figure out a first lead for debug…

What has changed? The headphones. What is constant? DAC? Amp? Cables? Power supply?

Mar 28, 2024 at 3:14 PM Post #947 of 980
Usually start by asking the question what has changed and what is constant to try and figure out a first lead for debug…

What has changed? The headphones. What is constant? DAC? Amp? Cables? Power supply?
I’ve gone through the troubleshooting process several times now, considering that was my 4th pair. The only thing that has changed between the 3rd and 4th Noire is my dac/amp and its cables. Everything else remains the same, which includes the computer, the power source, all audio related software/settings, and audio files used. Of course, it’s a different pair of Noires with their included cables, which are also still plugged into the amp via the included 1/4” adapter.

I did also test by switching back to my Schiit dac/amp, plugging the headphones directly into the computer’s motherboard, and then plugging them into my laptop as well. All to no avail as the issue continued to persist. Additionally, I’ve cross checked with other headphones I owned on the same 3 inputs, and I’ve once again asked some family and friends to test the Noire themselves. I’ve gone through these steps multiple times, more than I can count at this point, and I wanted to list them all to clarify that I have tried to figure out what was going on.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2024 at 3:48 PM Post #948 of 980
Just got a follow up from Sue.
039728C9-9D6D-4351-BF63-F4C6CA1F5EFD.jpeg

Mar 28, 2024 at 3:54 PM Post #949 of 980
Per our prior conversation we always cover warranty repairs/units for a reasonable window even if your original warranty expires. All you had to do was contact us. That said you're in touch and we'll make sure this is handled, and again, sorry you had this experience.

Back in the beginning of December, I received my replacement Noire and waited until my Element III came in before setting it all back up. Everything was fine for about 20 days, then my replacement pair started exhibiting the same exact issue with the left ear again…

Long story short, I sent it in about a week ago and just received word that it was an ohm failure. What’s got me completely lost is how 3 pairs have all suffered from the same problem. No one else has had this issue, especially not this frequent. Unless there’s something wrong with both my Schiit amp and the Element III? Or is my luck just that horrendous?

Hi Dan, spatialjam, and all. I received my replacement 7/21/23 This was my 4th RMA. When I talked to Andy Regan on the phone I said I would come back in 6-12 months and report my findings, positive or negative.

Wearing them after receiving the new pair, things were again fine for months. However around 6 months later during late December I noticed the shifting to the left again. I wanted to make sure it wasn’t a one-off so I’ve held off for 3-4 months since the first occurrence. Since that first occurrence, the shifting now happens daily, as with all the others. Sorry, I don’t mean to come with the bad news.

Data from when it shifts this time (taken today):
I just measured during various levels of “left” shift. Sometimes far to the left, sometimes only slightly to the left.

1st measurement: TRS right cup measured 75-80 ohms.
2nd: right cup measured 40-42 ohms.
3rd: right cup measured 20-21 ohms.

The Left cup always measured 15.6-15.8 ohms.

One interesting note is that my AE-9 has a “Headphone Impedance Selector” and if I switch between the modes, I have found this is the most reliable way to “jump” the headset back into a more balanced mode. When I flip the switch it immediately gets more centered. It doesn’t work all the time but sometimes it does.

If anyone is interested in the experience of the shifting, read my prior posts, it’s the same thing. To reiterate, I promise I’m not crazy, and I know how statistically improbable this all sounds. Part of why I’m replying today is because I saw spatialjam’s post.

@spatialjam, I completely understand how you feel and you’re not alone. I thought it was my devices as well. Are we truly this unlucky? Or are our devices somehow damaging the headset? I’ve tried many devices and multiple computers, I honestly have no idea.
I empathize with the emotions you’re having. I feel a bit defeated, lacking in trust for the Noire, and saddened. Will another replacement solve my issue? I want to believe it will.

Again, none of my other headsets have had this issue and I completely baby the Noire. Is the Noire uniquely sensitive and able to be easily damaged?

I want to say DCA has been extremely kind to me - everyone I have interacted with has taken care of me. Dan, Andy, and Susan. I truly don’t know what the next steps are. Do I get a replacement and sell it before the issues arise? Do I keep trying to get replacements and use them with more interfaces?

Would love to know your guys’ thoughts. Thanks again.
~Hans

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 4:45 AM Post #950 of 980
Hi Dan, spatialjam, and all.
~Hans
I've had a/the similar issue where one side would be quieter than the other and would return back to normal again. It only happened once so far but I haven't listened a lot to it yet due to having lots of other HPs (which haven't had that anomaly) but I will listen more this weekend and will report back if there's anything noteworthy.

Apr 5, 2024 at 10:15 PM Post #951 of 980
Hi Dan, spatialjam, and all. I received my replacement 7/21/23 This was my 4th RMA. When I talked to Andy Regan on the phone I said I would come back in 6-12 months and report my findings, positive or negative.

Wearing them after receiving the new pair, things were again fine for months. However around 6 months later during late December I noticed the shifting to the left again. I wanted to make sure it wasn’t a one-off so I’ve held off for 3-4 months since the first occurrence. Since that first occurrence, the shifting now happens daily, as with all the others. Sorry, I don’t mean to come with the bad news.

Data from when it shifts this time (taken today):
I just measured during various levels of “left” shift. Sometimes far to the left, sometimes only slightly to the left.

1st measurement: TRS right cup measured 75-80 ohms.
2nd: right cup measured 40-42 ohms.
3rd: right cup measured 20-21 ohms.

The Left cup always measured 15.6-15.8 ohms.

One interesting note is that my AE-9 has a “Headphone Impedance Selector” and if I switch between the modes, I have found this is the most reliable way to “jump” the headset back into a more balanced mode. When I flip the switch it immediately gets more centered. It doesn’t work all the time but sometimes it does.

If anyone is interested in the experience of the shifting, read my prior posts, it’s the same thing. To reiterate, I promise I’m not crazy, and I know how statistically improbable this all sounds. Part of why I’m replying today is because I saw spatialjam’s post.

@spatialjam, I completely understand how you feel and you’re not alone. I thought it was my devices as well. Are we truly this unlucky? Or are our devices somehow damaging the headset? I’ve tried many devices and multiple computers, I honestly have no idea.
I empathize with the emotions you’re having. I feel a bit defeated, lacking in trust for the Noire, and saddened. Will another replacement solve my issue? I want to believe it will.

Again, none of my other headsets have had this issue and I completely baby the Noire. Is the Noire uniquely sensitive and able to be easily damaged?

I want to say DCA has been extremely kind to me - everyone I have interacted with has taken care of me. Dan, Andy, and Susan. I truly don’t know what the next steps are. Do I get a replacement and sell it before the issues arise? Do I keep trying to get replacements and use them with more interfaces?

~Hans

I would be taking out the outer circle of screws on the right side cup and then measuring the two large traces directly on the driver PCB. The two connection points on the headphone are the Hirose connector and then the 2 pin molex wire to board connector on the driver board. If the resistance varies across those traces, without the cable connected, then something is up with the driver board PCB or the driver itself. I feel like DCA should be able to clarify that the previous failures were the connectors or the driver themselves.

I think it's likely that it is the driverboard/driver itself but if you end up finding that the resistance is higher at the hirose or at the wire side of the 2 pin connector then we have an interesting situation.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2024 at 1:39 PM Post #952 of 980
I would be taking out the outer circle of screws on the right side cup and then measuring the two large traces directly on the driver PCB. The two connection points on the headphone are the Hirose connector and then the 2 pin molex wire to board connector on the driver board. If the resistance varies across those traces, without the cable connected, then something is up with the driver board PCB or the driver itself. I feel like DCA should be able to clarify that the previous failures were the connectors or the driver themselves.

I think it's likely that it is the driverboard/driver itself but if you end up finding that the resistance is higher at the hirose or at the wire side of the 2 pin connector then we have an interesting situation.
Generally when imbalance occurs it's the driver assembly not the connectors or cabling. We did see a higher percentage of failures for a month that were due to manufacturing of a component that was in spec but had a secondary issue that is now being inspected and tested for with greater care. Sorry about the fact a few folk had repeat problems, that's usually very rare for us and shouldn't happen.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Apr 8, 2024 at 3:44 PM Post #953 of 980
Generally ……

Dan,

About a week ago DCA sent out a set of perforated Aeon ear pads, expected here in a few days.

Are the pads any different to those that were on my Aeon Noire that I bought approaching two years ago ?

I recall reading DCA have recently changed the foam and glued the pad cover to the foam to stop the pads getting out of shape.

Thanks

Apr 8, 2024 at 7:30 PM Post #954 of 980
Dan,

About a week ago DCA sent out a set of perforated Aeon ear pads, expected here in a few days.

Are the pads any different to those that were on my Aeon Noire that I bought approaching two years ago ?

I recall reading DCA have recently changed the foam and glued the pad cover to the foam to stop the pads getting out of shape.

Thanks
I bought a set of replacement perforated pads last August/September to replace the original pads on my Noire that I had since Dec 2020 and they didn't seem that different to me. Seems to be a little more adhesive but I noticed the foam starting to bulge out the sides last week so I did push the foam back in to shape (new pads are 7 months old). I did get over 2 1/2 years out of my first set of pads so no complaints here. Would be interested to know if there is an improved pad as well.

Apr 8, 2024 at 8:23 PM Post #955 of 980
I bought a set of replacement perforated pads last August/September to replace the original pads on my Noire that I had since Dec 2020 and they didn't seem that different to me. Seems to be a little more adhesive but I noticed the foam starting to bulge out the sides last week so I did push the foam back in to shape (new pads are 7 months old). I did get over 2 1/2 years out of my first set of pads so no complaints here. Would be interested to know if there is an improved pad as well.

I will report back.

The existing pads are like new because I don't use the Noire a lot having gone to IEM over the last 12 months or so but plan on getting them out and getting some mileage from them.

I will keep the new set aside as spares but there might be indications of them being different without having to use them to compare.

Hopefully Dan can confirm if they have made recent changes.

I can certainly live with the little pad issue and I don't mind massaging them back into shape but if it didn't happen I would be happier :relaxed:

Apr 9, 2024 at 4:34 AM Post #956 of 980
Generally when imbalance occurs it's the driver assembly not the connectors or cabling. We did see a higher percentage of failures for a month that were due to manufacturing of a component that was in spec but had a secondary issue that is now being inspected and tested for with greater care. Sorry about the fact a few folk had repeat problems, that's usually very rare for us and shouldn't happen.
Thanks for taking the step to clear that up!

Apr 10, 2024 at 4:37 PM Post #958 of 980
I've had channel imbalance with DCA headphones, not more instances than other manufacturers, but more mysterious imbalances for sure. Is there a good method for testing?

Did you read through the latter parts of this thread ?

Test the resistance.

There is a bunch of stuff about driver problems and DCA recently acknowledged the problem, literally just up this very page.

Apr 14, 2024 at 5:27 PM Post #959 of 980
I got my new Aeon Noire (perforated) pads in.

They are spares and I don't have any need or desire to fit them for some time so I can only judge on observations based on handling them off headphones not in actual use.

However, it seems apparent by compressing the foam and seeing how loose the cover becomes over the still compressed foam that they are likely exactly the same pads as previous and will likely suffer the same deformation.

Just for clarity, that isn't a big deal for me, it just would be nice if it was something that could be corrected but I guess they are the way they are for sonic reasons and that is a tradeoff that seems quite appropriate.

Apr 15, 2024 at 12:12 AM Post #960 of 980
I got my new Aeon Noire (perforated) pads in.

They are spares and I don't have any need or desire to fit them for some time so I can only judge on observations based on handling them off headphones not in actual use.

However, it seems apparent by compressing the foam and seeing how loose the cover becomes over the still compressed foam that they are likely exactly the same pads as previous and will likely suffer the same deformation.

Just for clarity, that isn't a big deal for me, it just would be nice if it was something that could be corrected but I guess they are the way they are for sonic reasons and that is a tradeoff that seems quite appropriate.

In my experience it's pretty tricky to unroll the foam in the earpads. After some more practice though I realized that before I wasn't actually unrolling the foam but just stretching it back into place. Once you figure out how to actually move the foam back into original place it tends to stay there for a lot longer.

It would be nice if this did not happen at all. My Austrian Audio ear pads do not have this issue but are not quite as comfy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back