Damn you orthodynamics (LCD2 & HE-6)
Oct 2, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #16 of 40
Get your ears flushed out by a physician. My baseline is going to be that if i can't hear my shirt rustling anymore then it's time to head in. 
It's crazy how much I was muffled and didn't realize, it crept up so slowly that it was not noticed.

The world has SO MUCH TREBLE now. That was my first thought after walking home.

LFF's comment there about going to a level then slightly backing off makes you listen more attentively is a great suggestion.

Oct 2, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #18 of 40
Cut out at 21k. Glad I can still hear there. I was a little worried.

EDIT: I irrigate my ears regularly because I have unusually high wax build up.

Oct 3, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #19 of 40
I'm pushing 40 and my hearing tested up to 19kHz ish for both my ears. Not bad for a former musician who went to a lot of rock concerts in my teens and twenties. I have an SPL meter right next to me and always keep my headphones between 70-80dB (with no more than 85dB peaks). Take care of your ears folks, they're the only ones you'll get. A fate worse than deafness is tinnitus...it can drive you mad if it gets really bad.

The one worry with these new flagships (especially orthos) is that you can power them past 100dB with ZERO distortion (if your amp is up to the task).

Oct 3, 2011 at 9:21 PM Post #21 of 40

Quote:
I'm pushing 40 and my hearing tested up to 19kHz ish for both my ears. Not bad for a former musician who went to a lot of rock concerts in my teens and twenties. I have an SPL meter right next to me and always keep my headphones between 70-80dB (with no more than 85dB peaks). Take care of your ears folks, they're the only ones you'll get. A fate worse than deafness is tinnitus...it can drive you mad if it gets really bad.
The one worry with these new flagships (especially orthos) is that you can power them past 100dB with ZERO distortion (if your amp is up to the task).

What are SPL meters? Are they just the regular noise measurer or something different?

Oct 3, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #22 of 40
What are SPL meters? Are they just the regular noise measurer or something different? 

Sound Pressure Level Meters...about $50 at Radioshack...or $1 for an iPhone App (both surprisingly correlate quite well).

Oct 3, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #23 of 40

Sound Pressure Level Meters...about $50 at Radioshack...or $1 for an iPhone App (both surprisingly correlate quite well).

UE actually has a free one on iDevices. Not sure how acurate it is though.

Oct 3, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #26 of 40
I wouldnt worry about hearing loss, some def chick just got a 30k implant in her ears than makes her hear quite well.  Such devices are just around the corner so i say rock out but not too loud of course :p

we will all be robots within the next 20 yrs :p

Oct 3, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #27 of 40

Quote:
^^
It's called simply "SPL Meter" (Seller's name is Andrew Smith).

redface.gif

Oct 3, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #28 of 40
I find taking a few minutes each day for quiet meditation (in a quiet place if possible) and focusing on the nearly inaudible sounds in your surroundings does wonders for your low level hearing perception. 

Nov 20, 2011 at 1:39 PM Post #29 of 40

I'm running in the mid 50s these days, but have tried to be nice to my ears even though I have enough equipment to blow the house off the foundations.

The problem I ran into with the AKG 702's and AT open cans is that you can hear everything going on around you, like the dishwasher, wife (divorce fixed this noise source) etc. So the tendency is to turn em up.

On the other hand, I listened to my Yamaha YH-100s for 30 years (before wife accidentally dropped em), these are mostly closed cans and allowed me to keep the volume down. I have to get these things fixed.

By usage, my primary headphones turned out to be my AT 700s closed cans. If AKG 702s are 99% of perfection, these rate a 95-96%. They keep the ambient noise out and don't get hot and let me keep the volume down.

Closed cans may save your hearing.

Nov 20, 2011 at 3:20 PM Post #30 of 40
You guys are scaring the crap out of me. I'm only a sophomore in highscool, and a new owner of Denon D2000s, I'm scared ****less of losing my hearing. My cans are connected to my computer so they'll be in about 5-8 hours a day, I have em connected to my xonar dg set on the middle amplification level, and more most listening I keep volume at 25 and for gaming and music I try not to go above 50. I downloaded the UE SPL meter, played a song, set volume at 50, and sandwiched my iPhone between the two cups the D2000 creating a seal. The average SPL was about 88 and the peak was 94, sometimes I'll keep it at this volume for up to 3 hours. Should I be concerned? What should I set my volume and where should I keep my SPL at?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back