Damn you orthodynamics (LCD2 & HE-6)
Nov 20, 2011 at 3:52 PM Post #31 of 40

Quote:
Should I be concerned? What should I set my volume and where should I keep my SPL at?

yes you should, I believe that the "danger level" is around 85 db. past this level any listening session may cause permanent hearing loss.
If you listen at this spl for more than 3 hours a day then you WILL experience hearing loss in some ways...
FIY: I try to always keep my spl under 80db.

Nov 20, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #32 of 40

Quote:
You guys are scaring the crap out of me. I'm only a sophomore in highscool, and a new owner of Denon D2000s, I'm scared ****less of losing my hearing. My cans are connected to my computer so they'll be in about 5-8 hours a day, I have em connected to my xonar dg set on the middle amplification level, and more most listening I keep volume at 25 and for gaming and music I try not to go above 50. I downloaded the UE SPL meter, played a song, set volume at 50, and sandwiched my iPhone between the two cups the D2000 creating a seal. The average SPL was about 88 and the peak was 94, sometimes I'll keep it at this volume for up to 3 hours. Should I be concerned? What should I set my volume and where should I keep my SPL at?

Probably too loud.  I don't know how accurate the iPhone measurement is going to be just sandwiching the iPhone between two ear cups.  It might be doing OK.  I've always measured SPL using an SPL meter with a plastic or cardboard disc around the mic and just measured one ear cup.  I just tried sticking the SPL mic sandwiched between two ear cups and the volume was nearly the same.  Weird.  I would have thought that measuring between two drivers like that would have made the volume more than just measuring one ear cup.  I don't know what's going on.  I was measuring with my LCD2.

So perhaps sandwiching the iPhone between the two Denon ear cups could give a good measurement.

If you're listening at around 90 dB that's too loud.  Peaks into the 90s with very dynamic music might be OK.  But if average listening level is around 90 dB then I'd worry.

I'm listening to Metallica (black album) at about 80 dB A weighted right now.  Plenty loud.  I just tried taking Sandman up to 90 dBA (fast time weighting) and oh my that's loud.  No way I could actually listen that loud for the entire song.  This is with LCD2.

Here's a guide for how loud is too loud put together by the Oregon Hearing Research Center at OHSU.  Try around 80 dBA for average level.  Peaks will be jumping into the mid 80s.  "Safe" and should be loud enough and have a safe buffer zone for the songs that get louder.

Nov 20, 2011 at 7:28 PM Post #33 of 40
Omark12

Knowledge at an early age will be your greatest gift.  At your age I was literally a walkman.  Headphones on almost every waking moment.  Sometimes very loud.  If there was a internet back then maybe I've wouldn't have been so stupid.  Maybe.

Nov 20, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #34 of 40

Quote:
I have a Worker's Compensation Board "Simulated Hearing Loss" CD I got unopened at a thrift store I should rip to FLAC and post on Mediafire soon. ( link will follow in this thread if I get to it.)
Scary when you think about it.
I am having issues with my left ear this week and can barely hear out of it, all off balance and dazed... so NO listening to Cans at all for me even my new acquisitions like the Ultrasone 2500
frown.gif
. Just sitting there burning in and even if I do try it briefly it's in biological MONO. Don't appreciate it until it's not around. ( I'm just a bit under 40 too )

Please be careful. This is an eye opener for me right now and volumes will be decreased after this.

Good point on the lower levels keeping you more attentive to the music.

I had hearing in my right ear drop off on day when I woke up it was wax build up and right after I flushed it with the Debrox ear wax removal kit I could hear again. You might just want to go to a doctor and have your ears professionally cleaned/examined though.

Nov 20, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #35 of 40

Quote:
You guys are scaring the crap out of me. I'm only a sophomore in highscool, and a new owner of Denon D2000s, I'm scared ****less of losing my hearing. My cans are connected to my computer so they'll be in about 5-8 hours a day, I have em connected to my xonar dg set on the middle amplification level, and more most listening I keep volume at 25 and for gaming and music I try not to go above 50. I downloaded the UE SPL meter, played a song, set volume at 50, and sandwiched my iPhone between the two cups the D2000 creating a seal. The average SPL was about 88 and the peak was 94, sometimes I'll keep it at this volume for up to 3 hours. Should I be concerned? What should I set my volume and where should I keep my SPL at?

94dB is way too loud. I would recommend 70-80dB with no more than 85dB to protect your hearing.

Nov 21, 2011 at 6:03 AM Post #36 of 40

Quote:
I used a old CD.  Sealed the meter's mic in the center hole using blue tac.  I also just stuck the mic end in between the two pads and held them together.

Hey!  That's a good idea.  You could also use the clear plastic CD-sized "spacer" that comes on top of some brands of blank CD / DVD media  spindle packs.

Nov 21, 2011 at 6:07 AM Post #37 of 40
Even if you spent all your time in a quiet forest, your hearing will start to roll off above 15 kHz once you hit 40.  Eardrums harden, the tiny little tendons that connect the (hammer /anvil/stirrup) tiny little middle ear bones stiffens.  Inevitable.  

Just when you can afford gear that is flat to 50,000 Hz  you can't hear above 15,000.....

Nov 21, 2011 at 6:10 AM Post #38 of 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by milosz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

[...]

Hey!  That's a good idea.  You could also use the clear plastic CD-sized "spacer" that comes on top of some brands of blank CD / DVD media  spindle packs.

That's exactly how I have my SPL rigged. I like to listen between 75-80dB (A-weighting) average. Anything that peaks above 85dB is unsustainable for more than a track or two.

Nov 21, 2011 at 8:10 AM Post #39 of 40
The earwax removal kit and quiet meditation ideas are great and have been added to my To Do list.

I listen pretty quietly. I take Lecithin and Magnesium as well, probably a placebo effect but maybe they help a little.

I like the HE-500 and have been mulling it over, but the totally open nature of it (and therefore restricted usage and volume issue) has me considering the Thunderpants thing instead.

Anyway, on the dB meter, wouldn't C-weighting be more representative for full frequency range music?

Nov 21, 2011 at 8:20 AM Post #40 of 40
i always listen to quiet levels cause i get very annoyed with treble and air frequencies. it pierces my ears if the volume is too loud and the song has over emphasized these frequencies. i find myself only turning the volume up to somewhat loud levels if the song has amazing dynamic range and well recorded cause it sounds more natural to me especially when it comes to high frequencies. i'm 23 and still get very annoyed as well from high frequencies electronic equipment give off as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back