DACMagic Plus Impressions
Jul 6, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #286 of 428
I do not believe you can turn it off. Upsampling is a Cambridge company focus. They have developed their own chip and algorithms for it.

Jul 25, 2013 at 1:42 PM Post #289 of 428
Hello Head-Fi, my first post. :) Just replaced my Audiolab M-DAC with Dacmagic Plus and I like it! Very enjoyable sound with the 192khz oversampling and my Sennheiser HD 600s. XLR outputs are also perfect for my Genelec 8020b desktop studio monitors. This one may be a keeper...

Jul 25, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #290 of 428
Glad you like it. I enjoyed mine while I had it. Very versatile DAC.

Aug 17, 2013 at 8:05 AM Post #291 of 428
What default format for sample rate and bit depth are you using in Windows 7? I might not be 100% correct here but since the DM+ upsamples everything it gets, it might not be a good idea to force Win7 to upsample as well. I used to have 24bit & 96KHz setting in Win7 but I have now dropped it to 24bit & 44,1KHz. Interested to hear what others are using and why?

Aug 19, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #292 of 428
Is there a big difference between the DACMagic Plus and its older version "DACMagic" ?
It looks like they use the same DAC chip and obviously the DACMagic Plus has a built in amp as well but any other differences in sound quality when being used as just a DAC?

Aug 19, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #293 of 428
Quote:
What default format for sample rate and bit depth are you using in Windows 7? I might not be 100% correct here but since the DM+ upsamples everything it gets, it might not be a good idea to force Win7 to upsample as well. I used to have 24bit & 96KHz setting in Win7 but I have now dropped it to 24bit & 44,1KHz. Interested to hear what others are using and why?

I am using 24/96hz I think I saw in Win7 in the place where you set it, that it suggested that if your hardware supported it. No other reason really.

Aug 19, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #294 of 428
Quote:
Is there a big difference between the DACMagic Plus and its older version "DACMagic" ?
It looks like they use the same DAC chip and obviously the DACMagic Plus has a built in amp as well but any other differences in sound quality when being used as just a DAC?

You got me... I don't see anything else to separate it from what you pointed out. 

Also can this DAC compete against the Peachtree DAC-ITx and the Schiit Bifrost Uber?  From what I've read I would lean toward no and give the lead to the two I mentioned.

Aug 31, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #295 of 428
I don't know how this works.  I've no axe to grind. I don't have any of this equipment.  I read these forums to understand more about audio equipment.  I have joined this particular forum as I can't believe how someone can get away with such negative comments about a product - Gwarmi and DacMagic Plus - unbelievable.  If I was Cambridge Audio I'd be suing.

Sep 1, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #296 of 428
Quote:
Does anybody's DMP exhibit the following problem: when turned on, the "Incoming Sample Rate" LED doesn't come on? I have to turn it off and on a few times until the LED comes on. I'm powering the DMP while not connected to the laptop. If I connect DMP to the laptop when the LED hasn't come up, there's no sound.

DMP is in USB2 mode, I'm feeding it from an Apple laptop.

Cheers!

I too have this problem, my iMac is always on but occasionaly when I turn on the DMP there's no sound, like you I have to turn it off again!  I've had mine for nearly 2 years and never had this problem at first!  This is the first time I've noticed someone else having that problem.  My theory is that it is an Apple problem since Ive tried it when I boot into Windows 7 and it works every time!

Sep 3, 2013 at 9:14 AM Post #297 of 428
How do this compare to the Asus Xonar Essence One? I'm after a fairly featured DAC/headphone amp that I can use with a decent pair of speakers and a set of headphones like the HD650's.

Sep 3, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #298 of 428
I would simply look at the specs of both DACs and chose the better in terms of functionalities that matter to you. Soundwise both are quality DACs / amps so no major differences there. CAs filters might be a plus to you to play around and tweak the sound. (I personally here no differences with the different filters)

Sep 3, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #299 of 428
Quote:
I would simply look at the specs of both DACs and chose the better in terms of functionalities that matter to you. Soundwise both are quality DACs / amps so no major differences there. CAs filters might be a plus to you to play around and tweak the sound. (I personally here no differences with the different filters)

Well, it looks like the Essence One has better specs, but I have no idea how important this is compared to quality of components/filters/other things I don't know about that have to do with sound reproduction etc. 

Sep 25, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #300 of 428
He guys, been following the website for some time and over the last year I've been inspired to upgrade from my ipod\ sure in-ear headphones to better equipment and I'm in need of some help.
Headphones: Beyerdynamics dt800 at 600 ohm and audiotechnica a900x at 250hm
Headphone amps: Xonar stx and my new dacmagic plus (picked it up on sale for 499)
Sound is great with DM+ but I don't find I have sufficient volume with beyers (comfortable volume with good tracks but not loud enough with quiet tracks).
With xonar card I can change settings to specify 600 ohm headphones and volume is great but cant find a way to do the same with DM+ (DM+ 100% = Xonar 50%)
Sent email to CA, was told no way of adjusting and am seriously considering a return and exchange (essence one\ HDP\ XPA-2)
Is there something I'm missing\ settings in windows\ driver\...
Thanks in advance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back