DACMagic Plus Impressions
May 14, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #318 of 428
Has anyone here removed the Ferrite Core around the AC cable?

After removing it, it feels as if the DacMagic Plus got a massive boost in Power/Emphasis.

What the hell was the ferrite core doing to the power supply @_@

May 21, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #320 of 428
Honestr
Can this DAC power electrostatic headphones?

Honestly I wouldn't want this DAC to power any headphone without a dedicated amplifier, it's too harsh without decent amplification.

May 21, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #321 of 428
Honestr

Honestly I wouldn't want this DAC to power any headphone without a dedicated amplifier, it's too harsh without decent amplification.

So apparently this is not a "one box" solution I was hoping for.

Bob

May 21, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #322 of 428
Can this DAC power electrostatic headphones?

Electrostatic headphones typically need dedicated Electrostatic driver amps.

May 21, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #323 of 428
So apparently this is not a "one box" solution I was hoping for.

Bob

Not to me atleast, some people are more than content with the Dacmagic's amplification.

But definitely not an all in one solution for a ES headphone.

May 21, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #325 of 428
May 21, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #326 of 428
Yes, ES = Electrostatic

Thanks. Until I get a separate amp, I may use the headphone output.

I did get the DACMagic today in the mail from Amazon. The output has an impedance of about 30 ohms. This means I would need at least a 240 ohm headset. I have the 250 ohm DT880s. This should work. But with the DACMagic, I am finding the midrange to be a bit emphasized and the high frequencies to be a bit muted. This may be my imagination. But it sounds different compared to the O2 amp that has a single digit output impedance and flat frequency response.

Can this be due to my headphones? Maybe the 600 ohm headphones would of suited me better with the DACMagic? Or maybe music through the DACMagic headphone out is more natural sounding than the O2?

What do you think?

Bob

May 22, 2014 at 7:12 AM Post #327 of 428
Thanks. Until I get a separate amp, I may use the headphone output.

I did get the DACMagic today in the mail from Amazon. The output has an impedance of about 30 ohms. This means I would need at least a 240 ohm headset. I have the 250 ohm DT880s. This should work. But with the DACMagic, I am finding the midrange to be a bit emphasized and the high frequencies to be a bit muted. This may be my imagination. But it sounds different compared to the O2 amp that has a single digit output impedance and flat frequency response.

Can this be due to my headphones? Maybe the 600 ohm headphones would of suited me better with the DACMagic? Or maybe music through the DACMagic headphone out is more natural sounding than the O2?

What do you think?

Bob

Various amps will sound a little bit different.
The O2 does have a reputation for being a touch bright and thin.
I doubt it is the output impedance you are hearing, especially with 250 Ohm 'phones.
I'm sure the DACMagic has a flat frequency response too.

May 22, 2014 at 8:37 AM Post #328 of 428
Various amps will sound a little bit different.
The O2 does have a reputation for being a touch bright and thin.
I doubt it is the output impedance you are hearing, especially with 250 Ohm 'phones.
I'm sure the DACMagic has a flat frequency response too.

I thought it was just me. This is exact what I am hearing in the highs. I thought the O2 is supposed to have flat FR?  The high frequencies with the O2 has been a bit too bright for my tastes. However, it does have a more engaging sound. This is why I investigated plugins that emulated tube amps to take that "edge" off of the sound. I find the other DAC/amp that I have, like the C5D, does not have this problem with the high frequencies.

Bob

May 22, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #329 of 428

I thought it was just me. This is exact what I am hearing in the highs. I thought the O2 is supposed to have flat FR?  The high frequencies with the O2 has been a bit too bright for my tastes. However, it does have a more engaging sound. This is why I investigated plugins that emulated tube amps to take that "edge" off of the sound. I find the other DAC/amp that I have, like the C5D, does not have this problem with the high frequencies.

Bob

Just about any SS head amp has a flat frequency response.
But they all sound a wee bit different anyway!

May 22, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #330 of 428
Just about any SS head amp has a flat frequency response.
But they all sound a wee bit different anyway!

I decided to try the line out of the DACMagic.  This has an impedance of about 50 ohms. I imagine this will distort the frequency response curve, for there is only a 5 to 1 ration between my headphones and the line outs. Correct?

Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back