DACMagic Plus Impressions
Feb 10, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #196 of 428
I got this split data and power USB cable, the quality of the sleeves is almost identical to the M1000i XLRs running out of the Dacmagic:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-B-SYSTEMS-Teralink-X2-Hi-End-USB-AUDIO-CABLE-6N-MKII-1M-/260913388693?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cbfa65c95

Great seller too BTW.

Quote:
I think the stock USB cable is too thin, so I'm using a thicker cable that came with another device.
The RCA wires that I'm using are some "Monster" cables that I bought for $9 at a local electronics discount store. They had a $39.99 sticker on them, supposedly overstock from Best Buy......

Feb 13, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #198 of 428
Hi. New owner of DACMagic Pus checking in :) I am really impressed with this device. I have a problematic laptop which creates clicks, pops and hum frequently. I have tried many DACs (Dacport, DACMINI, V-DAC, Arcam R-dac.. ) and none of them could run smoothly on my laptop. They did run well on other laptops. I have no idea what Cambridge have done inside but the Dacmagic Plus runs extremely well over USB without any issues. I am still using the native Linux driver and not yet upgraded to the Cambridge drivers.

They sound very detailed and the headphone out is suprisingly good. The headphone out sounds a bit bright but the treble is very well extended and smooth. Quite similar to the DACMini based on my memory.   Only problem is the volume knob :frowning2:

Feb 23, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #200 of 428
Gwarmi, I appreciate the thorough review!  I received my DacMagic Plus 3 days ago and have been putting it through its paces. I am running a MacBook Pro 13, iTunes, Amarra Mini software and B&W P5 cans. My iTunes library is stored on a 2tb Western Dig drive connected via USB 2.0 I have the DacMagic+ set for USB 2.0. The volume control is disabled for stereo out and I found I personally like Steep Slope.

After several hours of use the unit is barely warm. The unit makes no noise, it is totally silent.

1st off, I love this thing! The sound quality is great both with the headphones and when I send the analog signal to my Denon 4311 AVR and my M&K 150's with the SVS PB12+ sub the soundstage is big and precise.

I have noticed some burn in benefits now that it is approaching 20 hours of use. Smoother for sure. I also think part of it is due to playing with the settings and finding my personal sweet spot. The DM+ is a definite improvement over bare laptop. I will say that the Amarra software ( www.amarraaudio.com ) adds more as well. even smoother and a bigger soundstage. The final combination is wonderful and I have dug out a ton of old CD's to re-rip in AIFF (I might need an even bigger external drive!)

I am enjoying the connection to the AVR. I did pick up an AudioQuest USB cable rather than use the supplied basic cable.

I had listened to through the Amarra software a couple of weeks ago at a dealer who carries Audio Research,Vandersteen, Cambridge and Sonus Faber. I did not hear the DM+ there. We were listening to a variety of digital files via his MacBook into an Audio Research DSPre/DS225 combo and the Sonus Faber Toy Towers. Given the $7500 for the DSPre (Preamp + the DAC8) it was a step up from the DM+, but the dealer was a big fan of Cambridge. We spent some time with the HD751 and I liked what I heard from it.

So, count me in as someone who is VERY pleased with the DM+.

As is always the case in the forums, YMMV....
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 28, 2012 at 5:01 AM Post #201 of 428
An update about the high pitched noise and the connection problem I mentioned in a previous post: I called the shop where I bought the device and they told me to go there to have the CM+ checked.
They say that there may be a problem with the power supply (probably the diodes inside - the output from the wall power supply is 11.92V, very close to the nominal 12V) and possibly the whole internal board may have to be changed.
I'll go there this Saturday and keep you updated.

Mar 11, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #202 of 428
I am very close to buying a DacMagic Plus!
  Right now I'm using a combo of a Firestone basic DAC fubar going into my EC/SS and I mostly use K701s for comfort in long term listening!  I know that the EC/SS is setup to work best with Grados but I don't use them all the time!
What I am hoping to do is drop the separate dec and amp and both wall warts (the EC/SS comes with a monster size plug!)
  Since I'd be running from my iMac I would have a choice of Toslink or USB into the DacMagic Plus, however I'm having doubts!
I noticed on Cambridge Audio's site that they say the unit won't decode 5.1 signals from DVDs, sometimes I'll be using Windows 7 to watch Blu Rays, but mostly iTunes and regular DVDs.
Also I'm concerned about the Brightness that's been reported!
  WhatHiFi has a review on YouTube that is not good!  I'm wondering how bad is the "Bright" sound, is it going to contrast badly compared to my warm EC/SS?
Is the Dacmagic Plus going to be worth $599 Canadian, or am I better off sticking to what I have, My last Dac/Amp purchase was another Firestone setup and it was muddy, ran hot, and had the power switch on the back between the cords where it was almost impossible to turn off and on!

Mar 13, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #203 of 428
Got one today for a better price, so far I'm liking the sound USB and Toslink, haven't tried any of the USB 1 or 2 settings, I've mostly just used it for movies through my iMac!  Sounds great with my AKGs and Grados!

Mar 13, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #204 of 428
I agree that treble brightness isn't a problem.  I like the DMPlus very much - it's just the awful volume knob that's bad to use.  It's probably the way it is because it's multi-purpose (eg like pushing in to mute) and I suppose the front of the case has no room for additional buttons.  Not nice to use - over firm and not easy to grip. But a good machine overall.

Mar 14, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #205 of 428
Even the instructions for the volume knob are complex, but since I'm only using it as a headphone Amp I can't think of any situation where the volume might ever be left too loud from one application to the next!  But coming from the EC/SS which has a well designed generic volume knob with smooth action, this is going to take some getting used to!
  I'm going to try Booting my iMac into Windows 7 and seeing if I get sound from Blu Rays using Toslink.  My last Dac/Amp (Firestone) didn't work with the kind of Data Stream generated by Blu Rays, or even DVDs (using PowerDVD 11) so I had to use USB instead!

Mar 28, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #206 of 428
Quick question (probably not a quick answer), does optical only run at 44.1 for sample rate? I chucked the USB cable in and it upscales to 192, but optical only comes in at 44.1? Why is this and what's the difference? Thanks in advance.

Mar 28, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #207 of 428

Quote:
Gwarmi, I appreciate the thorough review!  I received my DacMagic Plus 3 days ago and have been putting it through its paces. I am running a MacBook Pro 13, iTunes, Amarra Mini software and B&W P5 cans. My iTunes library is stored on a 2tb Western Dig drive connected via USB 2.0 I have the DacMagic+ set for USB 2.0. The volume control is disabled for stereo out and I found I personally like Steep Slope.

After several hours of use the unit is barely warm. The unit makes no noise, it is totally silent.

1st off, I love this thing! The sound quality is great both with the headphones and when I send the analog signal to my Denon 4311 AVR and my M&K 150's with the SVS PB12+ sub the soundstage is big and precise.

I have noticed some burn in benefits now that it is approaching 20 hours of use. Smoother for sure. I also think part of it is due to playing with the settings and finding my personal sweet spot. The DM+ is a definite improvement over bare laptop. I will say that the Amarra software ( www.amarraaudio.com ) adds more as well. even smoother and a bigger soundstage. The final combination is wonderful and I have dug out a ton of old CD's to re-rip in AIFF (I might need an even bigger external drive!)

I am enjoying the connection to the AVR. I did pick up an AudioQuest USB cable rather than use the supplied basic cable.

I had listened to through the Amarra software a couple of weeks ago at a dealer who carries Audio Research,Vandersteen, Cambridge and Sonus Faber. I did not hear the DM+ there. We were listening to a variety of digital files via his MacBook into an Audio Research DSPre/DS225 combo and the Sonus Faber Toy Towers. Given the $7500 for the DSPre (Preamp + the DAC8) it was a step up from the DM+, but the dealer was a big fan of Cambridge. We spent some time with the HD751 and I liked what I heard from it.

So, count me in as someone who is VERY pleased with the DM+.

As is always the case in the forums, YMMV....
smily_headphones1.gif

longbowbbs,
can you give a quick comparison on the differences bettween the Denon 4311's internal DAC and the DM+?

Mar 29, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #208 of 428
Is the volume control on dacmagic plus digital or analog?

Mar 31, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #210 of 428

I'm really confused...I need to buy a new sound card (Asus Xonar STX) but I'm thinking if Dacmagic plus will be better bet when compared to Asus Xonar STX

Could anyone please let me know your views on this comparison?

I have HD 202 headphones right now but I"m planning to buy HD595 or 650 in another 6 months

off the topic, i'm really happy with my Clip+ and Brainwavz M2 combo (in one word MUSICAL)... I'm expecting similar 'MUSICAL' signature from Dacmagic plus, is it possible?

Thanks
Visanj

Users who are viewing this thread

Back