DACMagic Plus Impressions
Jun 24, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #226 of 428
Quote:

Damn, no way to get around this? I keep my headphones plugged into an nfb-12 all the time as well as using the RCA output for my stax amp. Been thinking of picking up a DM+ but needing to unplug my DT880s every time I want to use the stax would be pretty inconvenient.

That is the way it is built. Headphone plugged in turns off the RCA outputs. There is no way to change that. You can have the XLR and unbalanced connected to two different devices and they will both be live if you choose.

Jun 24, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #227 of 428
Quote:

Damn, no way to get around this? I keep my headphones plugged into an nfb-12 all the time as well as using the RCA output for my stax amp. Been thinking of picking up a DM+ but needing to unplug my DT880s every time I want to use the stax would be pretty inconvenient.

Some further reading reveals that the outputs can be unmuted when headphones are plugged in by tapping the volume knob in. Anyone with a DM+ wanna confirm this?

Just tried it - it just mutes/unmutes whatever you are listening to.

Jun 24, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #228 of 428
Hmm, interesting. It was in this review that I read about tapping to unmute the back outputs:

http://kenrockwell.com/audio/cambridge/dacmagic-plus.htm#ergo

Unless I'm reading this wrong, seems like the rca outs will mute when headphones are plugged in, and will unmute when the volume is tapped. Is that simply wrong?

Jun 24, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #229 of 428
Quote:
Hmm, interesting. It was in this review that I read about tapping to unmute the back outputs:

http://kenrockwell.com/audio/cambridge/dacmagic-plus.htm#ergo

Unless I'm reading this wrong, seems like the rca outs will mute when headphones are plugged in, and will unmute when the volume is tapped. Is that simply wrong?

When you tap the volume knob, it mutes the volume. If you have no phones plugged in it mutes the RCA outputs, when phones are in its mutes the phones. It does not allow phones and RCA output at the same time.

Jun 24, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #230 of 428
It definitely does not work that way on mine, it is just a global mute/unmute.

Jun 26, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #231 of 428
Has anyone tried modding in a switch for the headphone plug? Looks like it's connected right to a pcb here but it shouldn't be too difficult to find a way to make it work (should I ask in the diy forums instead?).

Jun 26, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #232 of 428
Quote:
Has anyone tried modding in a switch for the headphone plug? Looks like it's connected right to a pcb here but it shouldn't be too difficult to find a way to make it work (should I ask in the diy forums instead?).

I am not an under the hood guy....I am sure any number of mods could be made. Post the pics!!!

Jun 29, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #233 of 428
Okay, I have no idea about how the sample rate works. When I Use bootcamp and windows I can set the sample rate to 192 or 96 but when using mac it only sits at 44.1. I use optical input from the computer in both cases. Is there any way to adjust it higher in osx?

Jul 3, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #235 of 428
I got my DM+ the 28th of December last year and sadly returned it a few weeks later due to a strange humming from inside the case (not the power supply). :frowning2:

The swapped unit I got is still playing along and am now feeding my Denon AH-A100 headphones or my NAD C245BEE power amp and various speakers.
Am currently running it in USB A-B 24bit 192KHz mode, but have also tried mini-toslink to toslink from my Mac.

When I bought it I had just sold my Arcam rDAC and NAD C165BEE preamp/headamp because I wanted something simpler and smaller - one thing I noticed right away is that the DM+ is a fair bit brighter than my previous combo but also a good deal faster and more responsive. So overall I am really satisfied with this DAC.

I would though like to get just a pinch of the warmth back and am wondering if Coax would be an idea...

What I specifically have in mind is to buy the newly released m2Tech HiFace2 and bridge to the DM+ via a VDH DigiCoupler 75 I have laying around. What do you think, what difference would it make compared to using directly attached USB async in 24bit/192KHz mode?

Jul 3, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #236 of 428
Quote:
What I specifically have in mind is to buy the newly released m2Tech HiFace2 and bridge to the DM+ via a VDH DigiCoupler 75 I have laying around. What do you think, what difference would it make compared to using directly attached USB async in 24bit/192KHz mode?

One dealer I spoke with really liked the M2 with the Rega DAC. Since the DM+ is 24/192 into USB 2.0 I have not had a chance to try it. Let us know ,if you get the chance, what you think!

Aug 3, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #238 of 428
I've been using mine for around a week.  I like the dac a lot, the headphone amp not so much.  I may return mine just for that reason.  The decmagic 100 seems to be a much better deal.

Aug 3, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #239 of 428
I've been using mine for around a week.  I like the dac a lot, the headphone amp not so much.  I may return mine just for that reason.  The decmagic 100 seems to be a much better deal.

Depending on the phones you are using the amp is fine. A dedicated amp would provide more power.

Oct 9, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #240 of 428
Dear Forum/topic!

Can you help me what are the differences between the DacMagic and Dagmagic Plus except from that the Plus has a headphone-out and can upsamle up to 384ksps vs 192ksps? (my pc is now too slow to work with Google)

Thank you very much :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back