DACMagic Plus Impressions
Dec 6, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #61 of 428

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback, Gwarmi - its always refreshing to hear the voice of dissent on HF, particularly when so many new products are greeted with such glowing praise from the get-go.

Yeh I try to keep it real, I don't get my jollies from spruiking rainbows or raining on anyone's parade, thankfully
 rx79ez08 (another Melburnian!) pointed out that I was running USB mode 1, plus all I had was WASAPI on the
 A2A laptop.

Will try again in USB 2 mode, with an Audiophilleo 2 SPDIF transport and the CA Asio driver
 and ask that the store burn it in from today ~ if it falls over after that then my original review will stand unfortunately.

All things considered with the DAC section ~ the head amp section is hardly something to get excited about.
 No specs either from CA, plus the unmarked volume dial is likely to be a deal breaker for many eg, listen to hard
 house on your HD650, switch to a Grado for rock without resetting the volume

Boom - bye bye hearing.

Dec 7, 2011 at 2:14 PM Post #62 of 428
I think one you get the Win7 ASIO going, you're going to notice a HUGE difference (then maybe a little burn-in on top of that).

Every DAC I've listened to that didn't go through the right configuration and typically the use of the ASIO drivers (even with using ASIO4ALL), has been a huge increase is soundstage, depth, clarity, PRaT, well, just about everything.

It'll be interesting to see what you think once it's properly configured.

I have both the BiFrost & DacMagic Plus coming... and will see what Schiit's Statement sounds like once that's released.  Can't wait for the fun of messing around with these over the next few months!

It's amazing how many people I've shocked by the sound of using my CA 840c as a DAC and playing hi-res files through it.  I've even tricked a few people who would've bet large amounts of money that it we were listening to Vinyl.... ha ha ha.

Dec 8, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #64 of 428

Quote:
Well, I just ordered one for 350 EUR with shipping, very curious!

Wow ~ that's cheap, Hmmm, that's the problem in Australia ~ $699AUD (536 euros)

Is it worth 536 euros over here? Hmmm, time will tell 
smile.gif

Dec 9, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #68 of 428
It's arrived today, just plugged in!
Connected to PC with Belkin Pro USB (stock one seems crap) useing Foobar with ASIO under XP. (headphone is AKG K240 sextett)
Tried to install the 1.43.3 driver but couldn't... What?
OK doesn't matter let's try out: after a few seconds I could tell the sound is crap!
Fast documentation reading and switching it to USB 2 mode (press the FILTER button during turning it on, then turn the volume knob until Digital 2 LED illuminate then press the volume knob!)
After this I could install the driver, and well the sound REALLY changed :)
Now I leave playing for burning in during night...
(sorry for bad english)

Dec 9, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #70 of 428
Sitting down with the DacMagic + right now ~ here's a quick 'how to' for first time owners on how to activate USB 2.0 mode

Switch off unit, power on, hold the filter button down, digital 1 should illuminate, rotate the volume control, digital 1 is usb 1.0
while digital 2 is usb 2.0. Set to digital 2 - usb 2.0 and press the volume dial in. Now you can install the CA 2.0
driver.

Dec 10, 2011 at 6:29 AM Post #71 of 428
How does it sound on USB 2? Also did you get a chance to use Optical/Coaxial ?

Think USB 1 is entirely useless - sounds aweful (like a soundblaster from the mid 90's).

Dec 12, 2011 at 12:45 AM Post #72 of 428
I am on the fence on this unit.  Have never been a fan of CA gear, but I like to try this unit.  It's $599 on Amazon right now.  Maybe I should hold off and read more about it.

Dec 12, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #73 of 428
I fully expect 6Moons, and possibly Headfonia, to have reviews up by the end of the month. Of course, whether that's going to help with any purchase decisions is a topic for a completely new thread. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

(I will give 6Moons this - they take great photos)

Dec 12, 2011 at 1:30 AM Post #74 of 428

Quote:
How does it sound on USB 2? Also did you get a chance to use Optical/Coaxial ?

Think USB 1 is entirely useless - sounds aweful (like a soundblaster from the mid 90's).

Sorry for the late update on the DacMagic Plus guys ~ I can guarantee that my final impression will be in by tomorrow
 when I visit the store again.

It did improve somewhat after installing ASIO and setting the mode to USB 2.0, however I cannot seem to get past
 it's lack of mids detail and slightly metallic digital edge ~ it's a very different listen to the V800 and Rega DAC, much
 less organic and analogue sounding. Again, some people might like this.

Will see tomorrow.

For the record, the guy I mentioned who liked it (in my previous impressions) out of the 4 of us ~ came back to the store
 for a second listen and changed his mind ~ he's not a fan either now <shrug>

PS:- I will try the Audiophilleo 1 with it too

Dec 12, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #75 of 428
Quote:
(I will give 6Moons this - they take great photos)

They should just reinvent themselves as a photo blog or something....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back