DAC/AMP recommendations for HD800 S
Jan 4, 2018 at 3:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

mscaff

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

Short and sweet, currently using an HD800S with a MODI2/MAGNI3 stack and have been highly encouraged to upgrade such setup to take full advantage of these cans.

At the moment I find the highs are a bit harsh and the mods are slightly recessed, I find I’m having to increase the volume quite a bit to appreciate the mids only to have to lower the volume from the fatigue due to the highs.

Budget: Around 1K

Goal: Warmer, less harsh sound signature, whilst retaining exceptional clarity.

Advice: Do I need to replace the DAC also? Are tubes also better for the HD800S?

Never tried a tube amp, only solid state amps, so I can’t really give a preference on either, more wanting recommendations etc.

I’ve also heard good things about a Bifrost/Vali 2 stack, can anyone confirm?

Cheers!

Jan 4, 2018 at 6:57 PM Post #2 of 5
Here are a couple of recent threads for HD800/HD800S amp suggestions:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/best-amp-for-the-hd800s.645145/
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/best-headphone-amp-dac-combo-for-hd800-s-under-1000-usd.868842/

Those in turn link to other threads, some of which are quite substantial in length.

For sure many folks like tube amps for these headphones, and often tube amps are suggested specifically to do what you're looking for -- a warmer, less harsh signature.

I recently picked up a pair of used HD800 and am super pleased with them using my ALO Continental Dual Mono, which is a semi-portable hybrid tube amp with a smooth-sounding DAC section. Used or b-stock it's in your budget (I got mine used), but since you don't need a portable solution I'm sure you could get an equal or better performing setup for much less money.

BTW, another sound-tweaking option that recently came out is the Dekoni replacement earpads for the HD800/HD800s. These have beend discussed recently in the enormous HD800 impressions thread.

Jan 4, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #3 of 5
Hi all,

Short and sweet, currently using an HD800S with a MODI2/MAGNI3 stack and have been highly encouraged to upgrade such setup to take full advantage of these cans.
At the moment I find the highs are a bit harsh and the mods are slightly recessed, I find I’m having to increase the volume quite a bit to appreciate the mids only to have to lower the volume from the fatigue due to the highs.
Budget: Around 1K
Goal: Warmer, less harsh sound signature, whilst retaining exceptional clarity.
Advice: Do I need to replace the DAC also? Are tubes also better for the HD800S?
Never tried a tube amp, only solid state amps, so I can’t really give a preference on either, more wanting recommendations etc.
I’ve also heard good things about a Bifrost/Vali 2 stack, can anyone confirm?
Cheers!

Darkvoice 336SE OTL tube headphone amplifier.
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/dark-voice-366se
Also sold thru Amazon and eBay.

Jan 5, 2018 at 7:49 AM Post #5 of 5
Had the opportunity to test the Bifrost alongside the Valhalla 2 and Jotenheim today, I was pleasantly surprised by both in terms of improvement over my current stack, much warmer, less harsh highs.

Looks like I'm getting the Jot with DAC, then adding in the Bifrost a little later, thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back