The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by valentinhogea, Feb 10, 2013.
  1. Mshenay Contributor
    Well OCC Copper is my go to as I have it for EVERYTHING, but the HD 800 is... warmer than I expect it to be... how ever I've got a pretty cold DAC at the moment. So ideally Copper would be the way to go, I imagine it can't be any colder than the Hybrid mix Senn is using in the stock cable... but will Silver be THAT much brighter with the SDR?

Mid January I'll be buying maybe I'll get both and have a little shoot out!

bearFNF likes this.
  2. PinkyPowers
    Cardas copper is expensive, but oh so magical with the HD800. Rich, clear, and warm all rolled together.

3. Thenewguy007
    Memory foam hardens up when it is exposed to cold, but my impressions with the Elite Sheepskins is similar to yours.

The wider soundstage is the biggest noticeable improvement right off the bat.

I foolishly bought 2 pairs of the earpads thinking they might be hard to come by later on in the future, but it wasn't the case & I'm selling one of my pair in the classifieds.

bearFNF likes this.
  4. bosiemoncrieff
    My venus audio cable uses cardas, and I enjoy the sound, though the knockoff connectors are loose. I never had any problem with my stock cable until it was damaged on an american airlines flight.

5. Yviena
    Hmm i'm wondering if maybe the thin fabric behind the dekoni ear pads is to blame for the sound. Maybe it becomes better if it's cut with a scissor leaving the driver unobstructed.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  6. Thenewguy007
    Good idea! Though someone has to take the chance to ruin their brand new pair.

I used the stock HD800 earpads without the dust cover & it alwyas sounded better to me than with them on.

7. Yviena
    Actually i see that he uses the SDR mod with the dekoni pads, i think that the pads where made for stock config without dustfilters in mind.

8. LugBug1
    4-5 years thinking HD800 are the best I'm gonna get for my tastes.. Has recently been overturned by the HEX v2. Proper sad to see them go - seriously! But technology is fast and there are some clever designers out there, who are a little ahead now days.

Forever in my heart and ears :) Rest. In (someone else's ears coz they sold). Peace :)

But, I can say to anyone who has just acquired some, or are still enjoying them - stop trying to fix them!!! They are perfect for what they are designed for at the time of design. No headphone has caused so much marmite hatred and love - no headphone has been used for reference purposes since the HD600 and that's saying something!.

There is no headphone like the HD800.

9. Mshenay Contributor
    I had an HE 4 for EVER! I was quite content with it, the HEX V1 didn't quite impress me when I heard it a few years back... badly designed and the tuning was less than ideal

Non the less I have a soft spot for Hifiman! Happy to hear the V2 swayed you over, what was teh biggest differance

LugBug1 likes this.
  10. Thenewguy007
    The HEX v2 definitely felt inferior to the HD800 when I had it. Noticeably worse resolution, midbass/midrange felt thinner/recessed & staging was obviously not as wide. It had the HD800 beat in the lows, but not by much.
    The HE1000 V1 with V2 eapads was the closest to dethroning the HD800, but in the end I kept the HD800.
    I just couldn't get over the softness of the HE1000 in comparison to the HD800. Even though maybe buying silver headphone cables might have reminded that.

The HEK had a wide stage, at first I thought they were just as wide as the HD800, but after A/B comparisons it's noticeable that the HD800 is wider.
    Mids felt a little bit more recessed or hazy by a thinny bit, though midbass was noticeably thicker & holographic.
    Sub bass on the HEK was actually worse from what I remember on the HEX.
    Resolution was on par, but there was a slowness & softness to the transients that I couldn't get past.

I wish I still had the HE1000, they sounded great, but I think I made the right choice (given the price of the HEK) by sticking with the HD800.

11. bosiemoncrieff
    K1000 occasionally exceeds HD800 in certain respects, but has so many problems apart from its ridiculous power requirements that I could never recommend it unreservedly. MySphere might be the one that steals the crown, though its utopia-level price will prevent it ever from competing in the same (~$700 used?) space.

12. heliosphann
    I had the HEX v2 and HEK v1 at the same time (still have the HEK) and I can say without hesitation that the HEK's sub bass is far superior to the HEX in every aspect. Maybe you're thinking of the mid bass, which the HEX does has more of. I've heard a lot of headphones and I still consider the HEK's to have some of the best sub bass out there.

I always thought the HD800's were a good compliment to the HEK's. Both are headphones I've held onto for a long time and probably will continue to.

13. ahmadfaizadnan

Just received the sheepskin. Bought them from @Thenewguy007 :ksc75smile:

Definitely noticed the wider soundstage as I tried the same song before and after changing the pad. Not sure about other improvements but loving them both SQ and comfort :dt880smile:

14. bosiemoncrieff
    Do we need a wider soundstage? HD800 is really, really wide. K1000 is different, but superior mostly due to openness and supremely natural imaging, not to added width per se.

15. FLTWS
    I agree, wide enough, especially for large scale works.