Best headphone AMP/DAC Combo for HD800 S under $1000 USD
Jan 2, 2018 at 12:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

tamahome5555

New Head-Fier
So I recently ordered an HD 800S which I'm still waiting in mail. So I decided to look around for the best AMP/DAC combo around Head-Fi but I still couldn't find the right one for specific "Sennheiser HD 800S" under $1000 USD. I can go over a little bit up to $1,200 but nothing more.

I heard good things about Schiit Jotunheim however, I've heard that it's a bit too bright for HD800S

Currently I have SMSL M6 and a Sennheiser HD598 but I don't think SMSL M6 Is powerful enough for it..

I'm thinking of Gustard A20H and I've heard good things about it, any recommendations that would help me choose an AMP/DAC for HD800 S? I would prefer to have complete solid state because I don't really want a maintenance. Thanks!

Jan 2, 2018 at 7:06 AM Post #2 of 6
I'm also looking in the $1000 range for a 6xx. I initially had the Jotunheim but I've now narrowed it down to either of these:
- TEAC UD-301
- Fostex HP-A4 or HP-A4BL if you prefer balanced for its extra power.

CES 2018 is also next week so we might see some interesting new offerings.

Jan 2, 2018 at 7:41 AM Post #3 of 6
So I recently ordered an HD 800S which I'm still waiting in mail. So I decided to look around for the best AMP/DAC combo around Head-Fi but I still couldn't find the right one for specific "Sennheiser HD 800S" under $1000 USD. I can go over a little bit up to $1,200 but nothing more.

I heard good things about Schiit Jotunheim however, I've heard that it's a bit too bright for HD800S

Currently I have SMSL M6 and a Sennheiser HD598 but I don't think SMSL M6 Is powerful enough for it..

I'm thinking of Gustard A20H and I've heard good things about it, any recommendations that would help me choose an AMP/DAC for HD800 S? I would prefer to have complete solid state because I don't really want a maintenance. Thanks!

FWIW, I hate the tube maintenance thing...but found that my enjoyment of my high-impedance Senns & Beyers increased when I got a tube amp (still have SS for other cans).

You could do Bimby / Lyr 2 (w/LISST and tubes) for about $1100. That way you have options of SS and Tube

Jan 2, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #4 of 6
Tubes do not take much maintenance, I had my Feliks audio Espressivo for 2 years without having any hassle.

If I were you, I would get the Feliks audio Espressivo MKII with the JDS Labs EL-DAC for a HD800 based setup. Such an excellent sounding rig for the price.

Jan 2, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #5 of 6
The only reason why I wanted a solid state amp is due to I mostly plug it off usb and I generally use it more than 10 hours a day. I would get tube amp if I use it less than that.

Maybe a hybrid tube/solid state would work but I’d like to see more list to consider.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back