Dac/Amp Pairing for Q701's and DT770-250 DT880/DT990-600hm
Sep 26, 2012 at 1:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Slimshaddyy

New Head-Fier
Alright, so i've been lurking around threads for a good amp for the Beyers but i haven't bought them yet because i can't decide which ones, main uses will be for listening to Rock, Pop, dubstep/electronic, and alot of gaming(all games, fps,rts,rpg,mmo,etc)i would say50/50 for between music and gaming.  I also have Q701's currently so what amp I get would be nice if it paired well with the AKGs, but i might get a fiio just for them. 

Alright so down to which headphone, I know i want DT770-250, DT880-600, and DT990-600 what would be better for what I want and I need.(side note, I do livestreaming and commentary so I have an Audio Technica AT-2020 about 8" from my face and am concerned of sound bleeding from the open back cans through to the mic)  
Ok now to the Amp/DAC, I do not need portability as I stay at my desk.  my primary source will be optical out from my computer (no soundcard just my z68) and possibly ipod and phone at times. I prefer tube amps but whatever suits my needs best. I have a flexible budget but would like to keep it under $700 USD, but again i am flexible.

Thanks in advance

P.S. I know this is very sloppily typed, sorry.

Sep 27, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #3 of 9
I have a Headroom Total Bithead with my Q701's (it was my first amp/headphone setup) and just ordered one of the sub-$100 cmoy tube amps off eBay (titled "12AU7 JRC4556 Valve driven cmoy RA-1 headphone amplifier"). I'm going to use the Headroom as a DAC going into the tube amp. I know I will have to tone the BH's volume down a bit to not have any overdriving/cutoff.

It's nothing special, but I'm just getting into all this :p

Sep 27, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #4 of 9
My current setup is FLAC (Foobar2k) --> Audinst HUD-mx1 (DAC) --> Schiit Asgard --> DT880 250 ohm.

For what it's worth, I really dig the combo.

Sep 27, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:
Well Since I want the 600 Ohm i think the lyr might power them better, What's the sound like with the Asgard, is it as warm as I've heard? 

Not terribly warm to my ears.  But it does have a refinement to it, which is where I think that description comes from.  

The Asgard is forward and powerful, but the music feels effortless rather than forced or over-hyped.  

As far as the headphones go I'm happy that I opted for the 250 ohm.  They're great sounding headphones and I don't have to obsess quite so much over whether I'm driving them to their full potential.  

Sep 28, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:
Not terribly warm to my ears.  But it does have a refinement to it, which is where I think that description comes from.  

The Asgard is forward and powerful, but the music feels effortless rather than forced or over-hyped.  

As far as the headphones go I'm happy that I opted for the 250 ohm.  They're great sounding headphones and I don't have to obsess quite so much over whether I'm driving them to their full potential.  

I think I might go for the 250 but I hear the mids and bass aren't as refined.

Sep 28, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:
I think I might go for the 250 but I hear the mids and bass aren't as refined.

It's all relative.  People will speak of it as if it's night and day, but others will tell you that it's a pretty subtle difference.  As I'm sure you've noticed, subtle differences around this place can be discussed as if it's the difference between eating trash or a gourmet meal when it's more like the difference between a gourmet meal and a gourmet meal with just a hint of an extra spice that you happen to like. 

Yes, it's true that the 600 is a more refined/controlled headphone, but how much of that translates into real performance (a.k.a. what your ears perceive) is debatable. 

For me, it came down to how much I was willing to spend on a proper amp.  The Asgard was about the top of my budget in that regard and some people had cast doubt on whether it would be adequate to bring out the full potential of the 600 ohms.  Before the Asgard, I listened purely through my Audinst and enjoyed that quite a bit as well.  The Asgard certainly pushed them to another level, however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back