DAC/Amp Combinations that work well with iPhone 4S?
Jan 21, 2012 at 2:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

slowdown5646

Head-Fier
I'm looking into purchasing a $200-$300ish DAC/Amp combination to use with my iPhone 4S, which to me sounds decent but not too amazing as is. Has anyone had any success with anything in that price range? For the records, I've been using Westone ES3X custom IEMs for listening. The more portable, the better as well!

Jan 21, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #2 of 11
The only two portable DACs for the iPod are the Algorhythm Solo and the Fostex HP-P1 (which has an amp built in as well), which are above well above your budget. There are currently no other portable alternatives, only desktop ones.

Mar 10, 2012 at 3:40 AM Post #3 of 11
I have a 4S, E11, and L9. They do work well together, but the problem is the amp/band always gets in the way. Maybe it's because i'm constantly texting or using my phone, but it's annoying to have it connected when I'm out and about. It doesn't seem worth the hassle for me.

Oh, the E11 is only an Amp, not a DAC. Sorry. :\

Mar 10, 2012 at 4:48 AM Post #4 of 11

Quote:
The only two portable DACs for the iPod are the Algorhythm Solo and the Fostex HP-P1 (which has an amp built in as well), which are above well above your budget. There are currently no other portable alternatives, only desktop ones.

Well there is the VentureCraft Go-DAP 4.0 which is a DAC/Amp for the iPhone 4/4S that's highly portable (and integrated) but is also above his budget.

But otherwise, yes...for $200-$300 budget there's no current DAC/Amp for the iPhone 4S.

Mar 12, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #5 of 11
The Nuforce offers DAC/AMPs for iPhones iPods use and it's maybe under this price this range.

Aug 18, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #8 of 11
The Sonoma Wireworks GuitarJack model 2 is a $150 pocket audio interface with ADC and DAC built in. The headphone monitoring output is excellent for the size and price. I use one with my iPhone 4 and FS Atrios. SQ is comparable (considering it has its own hp amp built in) to an iMod 4g. Designed mainly for guitarists/vocalists who need to record on the go. Add cables and adapters to get around connectivity and power issues (a major drawback of the simplistic dongle design).

http://www.sonomawireworks.com/guitarjack/

http://www.sonomawireworks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=10681

Aug 19, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #10 of 11
It may interfere with the pairing of dock-connected interfaces designed for the iPhone/iPod Touch. I have been experimenting with it to connect an iBasso D1 to my iPhone 4 and once the iPhone thinks it's an iPad it stops talking to my GuitarJack 2. BTW no joy with the D1 - it may require the hub trick to pair. So far I can either have the CameraConnector tweak installed or use the GuitarJack - but not both at the same time. Not a big deal if you use a Cydia app to make installing/uninstalling packages quick and easy.

Aug 19, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #11 of 11
if to extend a budget a bit more to get an Open box Godap from Musica.
http://www.musicaacoustics.com/wp/amplifiers/venturecraft-go-dap-unit-4-0/
Quote:
Well there is the VentureCraft Go-DAP 4.0 which is a DAC/Amp for the iPhone 4/4S that's highly portable (and integrated) but is also above his budget.

But otherwise, yes...for $200-$300 budget there's no current DAC/Amp for the iPhone 4S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back