D7 Sidewinder....Initial impressions
Mar 2, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #466 of 680

Quote:
... (most active monitors have their own volume control)

Thanks for the info.  Nevertheless, if you have ever run active monitors, you'll know that adjusting volume on the monitors itself is not a practical, every-day solution.  Variable line-out at the source is the way to go.

My apologies to the fanboyz (and fangirlz) if I have found your product wanting for my needs.

Mar 2, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #468 of 680

This "fanboy" (self labeled "appreciative user") is not offended...

Gotta go with what works best for your setup, as should anyone else.

Quote:
Thanks for the info.  Nevertheless, if you have ever run active monitors, you'll know that adjusting volume on the monitors itself is not a practical, every-day solution.  Variable line-out at the source is the way to go.

My apologies to the fanboyz (and fangirlz) if I have found your product wanting for my needs.

Mar 3, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #469 of 680

Quote:
This "fanboy" (self labeled "appreciative user") is not offended...

Gotta go with what works best for your setup, as should anyone else.

Quote:

Right.  My original statement was that the dealbreaker for me was the absence of variable line-out.  The fanboyz (and fangirlz) took that as an attack on their product.

Mar 3, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #470 of 680
Back to impressions please. 
beerchug.gif

Mar 3, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #473 of 680
Closely looking at this impressive package to match w/ my HD580s - for reference - were the comparisons to the iBasso D4 based on 9V or USB mode? And how's the power output on the D7 compare as a result?

Finally - am I correct to assume the iBasso official website is the only place to order this - $22 shipping charge seems a little extreme...

Mar 4, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #474 of 680
Quote:

That said, the Audinst HUD is the same price as the D7 and has almost the same features. Main difference being that the Audinst has variable RCA out while the D7 has fixed out. And since nobody on a budget will buy both to see which sounds better, we will never know. Choosing between those two comes down to what one prefers, or what fits better in their chain. That is, until someone acquires both a proceed with a thorough comparison.

Well, while I don't have the MX1, I heard it in quick succession between it and the D7, as well as A/B'ed against the DACPort, and it's very clear that the DACPort and the D7 are more refined products than the MX1. I still think the MX1 is excellent for its price, but I think the D7 definitely trumps it, especially when run directly off USB power. With clean, dedicated DC wall power from something like a Kingrex UPower PSU, the MX1 might be able to match or surpass the other two, but with the power source being on equal terms, the MX1 is definitely not the D7's equal when it comes to SQ. I actually like the tonality of the Audinst more, as the D7 is very slightly warm for my tastes, but the D7 has superior sibilance and peak control.

Mar 4, 2012 at 6:57 AM Post #475 of 680

Quote:
I had the D12 + SRH840 wich I found a good pairing: bass on the Shure got tight due maybe to the relative brightness of the D12.
To me, it seemed that both tonal balances compensated each other.

Now that I have recovered the 840, I'm thinking again of getting an Ibasso. Anybody could compare D12 and D7 tonal balance wise?
I'm reading that D7 has a touch of warmth that suits some Grados. Wondering if this would be good for the 840.

Ladies... please.
Anyone?

Mar 4, 2012 at 9:30 AM Post #476 of 680
I don't listen to my 840s since purchasing my AKG K550s, (comfort issues) but I have listened to them a few times with the D7.  Sounds great!  For me to go on and on concerning the pairing would only serve to re-state everything that's been said about the D7 so far.  But yes, the D7 can drive the 840s perfectly, you will be happy!

Mar 4, 2012 at 10:13 AM Post #477 of 680

Quote:
I don't listen to my 840s since purchasing my AKG K550s, (comfort issues) but I have listened to them a few times with the D7.  Sounds great!  For me to go on and on concerning the pairing would only serve to re-state everything that's been said about the D7 so far.  But yes, the D7 can drive the 840s perfectly, you will be happy!

Thanks Terps: really appreciate it.
Didn't know anything about the K550 but a fast reading showed me that looks brighter sounding compared to the 840.
Anyhow, there's a point that bothers me about the D7: USB powered. Sometimes real evil voltage is coming out of laptops batteries. The D12 being battery self-feeded and through optical was nice clear sounding, without a single grain of distortion.

Mar 4, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #478 of 680
I'm no expert, but I think the caps in the D7 should help clean up the power. You could throw in something like an Acromag usb isolator if there was still an issue.

Quote:

Thanks Terps: really appreciate it.
Didn't know anything about the K550 but a fast reading showed me that looks brighter sounding compared to the 840.
Anyhow, there's a point that bothers me about the D7: USB powered. Sometimes real evil voltage is coming out of laptops batteries. The D12 being battery self-feeded and through optical was nice clear sounding, without a single grain of distortion.

Mar 4, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #479 of 680

Quote:
I'm no expert, but I think the caps in the D7 should help clean up the power. You could throw in something like an Acromag usb isolator if there was still an issue.

All the current USB isolators out there are only supports USB 2.0 Full Speed. As a result of that, your bandwidth on the D7 will be restricted and you can only play up to 16bits 44.1khz.

Mar 4, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #480 of 680

Quote:
Well, while I don't have the MX1, I heard it in quick succession between it and the D7, as well as A/B'ed against the DACPort, and it's very clear that the DACPort and the D7 are more refined products than the MX1. I still think the MX1 is excellent for its price, but I think the D7 definitely trumps it, especially when run directly off USB power. With clean, dedicated DC wall power from something like a Kingrex UPower PSU, the MX1 might be able to match or surpass the other two, but with the power source being on equal terms, the MX1 is definitely not the D7's equal when it comes to SQ. I actually like the tonality of the Audinst more, as the D7 is very slightly warm for my tastes, but the D7 has superior sibilance and peak control.

Thanks for the input. 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back