D.C. Area Meet (Sunday, August 30, 2015) - part of CanMania @ Capital Audio Fest (CAF) 2015
Aug 21, 2015 at 12:59 AM Post #136 of 234
  When I ask if the amp is on, I mean is it producing tons of heat even when the headphones are not plugged in? Let's start with, does the device have to be on, or is it a passive pre amp? Okay, say the device must be on, without headphones plugged in, is the device pumping tons of heat and energy?  I know the Schiit Asgard is class A which means it is running on full power all the time, but is it doing that even in pre amp mode? Get my meaning? I do not want a 30 watt pre amp. 

On another note, does the pre amp color the sound at all? Or is it simple in and out with the signal?

- When it is on, it produces some heat, whether or not headphones are plugged in.  The amount of heat depends on the design of the particular headphone amp.

- Yes, the device has to be turned on to operate. 

- When the device is on, without headphones plugged in, it is not pumping tons of heat and energy.  If you are not using it, turn it off and it will use no energy.

- I think you may be confusing the terms "preamp" and "amp".  A headphone amp (such as the Asgard or Valhalla2) is referred to as a headphone amp, since they have enough power to drive headphones.  Generally, a headphone amp is NOT a combination of preamp and a power amp.  It's just that when you use it to drive speakers, speakers require more power than headphones, right?  So your headphone amp at that point is considered your preamp - which then feeds your amplifier-powered speakers.

Your question about coloring the sound:  Good electronic devices are designed to replicate the signal faithfully, with low distortion, full range frequency response, etc.  There is no device that reaches theoretical perfect perfection.  So all devices color the sound, to a small extent.  Getting good and uncolored sound is the goal, and many different approaches are taken by designers/manufacturers to do that.  Prices reflect their efforts and parts costs.

Aug 22, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #138 of 234
Well, I ordered a pair of LISST tubes and were hoping they were going to arrive before the meet.  But I got this schiitty email about them being backordered and now I'm not so sure.  Here's hoping though.

Aug 22, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #139 of 234
Looks like no Liquid Carbon for our meet. I contacted Dr. Cavalli both on his site and here on head-fi, but no response at all--guess that's a NO. Also sent a note to Dan at Mr. Speakers, but he didn't bother to respond either. Both have had plenty of time to respond. Disappointed that neither of these guys could be bothered with answering a short email. Starting to regret dropping $600 on the Liquid Carbon. :mad:

Aug 22, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #140 of 234
Looks like no Liquid Carbon for our meet. I contacted Dr. Cavalli both on his site and here on head-fi, but no response at all--guess that's a NO. Also sent a note to Dan at Mr. Speakers, but he didn't bother to respond either. Both have had plenty of time to respond. Disappointed that neither of these guys could be bothered with answering a short email. Starting to regret dropping $600 on the Liquid Carbon.
mad.gif

Well the products are solid so I wouldn't feel too bad, but it is a shame we're not going to get more shiny new stuff to try out.  I still think between all of us we have a pretty great collection of people, gear and music for the meet and it should be a great one.

I don't know if you'll get it in time for this meet, but I would sure love to hear the MB Gugnir.  Planning on upgrading it or just going to get the Ygg?

Aug 22, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #141 of 234
I did not see a final confirmation from @smitty1110 but I am still looking forward to his Yggy and high-end dynamic headphones. I would really like to have a little time, if possible, comparing the Summit Fi dynamic headphones to their planar competition.

I am surprised Mr. Speakers did not reply. I sent him an email on a Friday in late June, and had a reply by Monday. He must simply be busy due to the new headphone release.

Aug 22, 2015 at 8:09 PM Post #142 of 234
I did not see a final confirmation from @smitty1110
 but I am still looking forward to his Yggy and high-end dynamic headphones. I would really like to have a little time, if possible, comparing the Summit Fi dynamic headphones to their planar competition.

I am surprised Mr. Speakers did not reply. I sent him an email on a Friday in late June, and had a reply by Monday. He must simply be busy due to the new headphone release.
I'll be there, and I'll bring the hd800, th900, t1, HE-6, And LCD-X. Source will be a yggy, amps will be a Ragnarok and a Cavalli Liquid Crimson w/ stock tube. I'll be loading up a Surface Pro with my XRCDs, MFSL rips, and DCC rips. Theres two copies of Art Blakely's A Night in Tunisia albumin my collection, if anyone wants to compare audiophile brands.

Aug 22, 2015 at 10:49 PM Post #143 of 234
Well the products are solid so I wouldn't feel too bad, but it is a shame we're not going to get more shiny new stuff to try out.  I still think between all of us we have a pretty great collection of people, gear and music for the meet and it should be a great one.

I don't know if you'll get it in time for this meet, but I would sure love to hear the MB Gugnir.  Planning on upgrading it or just going to get the Ygg?

You're right, it's going to be a great meet, despite the zero support from any vendors. I'd like to talk to Gary Gill about what we can do to have a full complement of headphone vendors next year. There was an organized effort last year and for some reason, no one worked on the event this year--possibly due to the management upheaval at CAF.

Sheldaze will have his new GMB and Smitty will have the Yggy for the meet. I'm still undecided about what to do with my Gungnir. It's a great DAC as it stands and it'll be nice to be able to audition the GMB and the Yggy before I plunk down a bunch of cash.

Aug 22, 2015 at 10:59 PM Post #144 of 234
You're right, it's going to be a great meet, despite the zero support from any vendors. I'd like to talk to Gary Gill about what we can do to have a full complement of headphone vendors next year. There was an organized effort last year and for some reason, no one worked on the event this year--possibly due to the management upheaval at CAF.

Sheldaze will have his new GMB and Smitty will have the Yggy for the meet. I'm still undecided about what to do with my Gungnir. It's a great DAC as it stands and it'll be nice to be able to audition the GMB and the Yggy before I plunk down a bunch of cash.

The biggest problem is the CanJam London, a lot of vendors are scheduled to be there. If I'd been smarter, I'd have asked Marv and Craig about getting some EC gear for our event, but it's probably too late now. Getting a STudio would have been unreasonable, but maybe ad 4-45 or a Black Widow...

Aug 23, 2015 at 12:16 AM Post #145 of 234
 The biggest problem is the CanJam London, a lot of vendors are scheduled to be there. If I'd been smarter, I'd have asked Marv and Craig about getting some EC gear for our event, but it's probably too late now. Getting a STudio would have been unreasonable, but maybe ad 4-45 or a Black Widow...

Some EC gear would be great for a future meet. I knew we were going to take a hit because of CanJam London, but not every vendor will be in London. We need to make sure CAF 2016 isn't opposing any other big head-fi shows. A little coordination would be helpful. How about CanJam DC in 2016? It would be nice to see vendors step up for DC like they do for other meets--loaner gear, giveaways--something.

Aug 23, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #146 of 234
Some EC gear would be great for a future meet. I knew we were going to take a hit because of CanJam London, but not every vendor will be in London. We need to make sure CAF 2016 isn't opposing any other big head-fi shows. A little coordination would be helpful. How about CanJam DC in 2016? It would be nice to see vendors step up for DC like they do for other meets--loaner gear, giveaways--something.

Hi everyone,
I've been a long time lurker and finally decided to create an account. I'll come to the meet and can bring several cans and amplifying gear.
Correcting me if I'm wrong, but it seems like CAF is geared toward the loudspeaker crowd and head-fi is an afterthought. If I remember correctly people were worried about CanJam London's effect on CAF back in April and yet there was little communication from CAF organizers about it or if they were going to attempt to mitigate it by reaching out to vendors.
I spoke to Woo Audio, early this past week. They had been listed as attending CAF, but were no longer coming because of conflicts. Among the conflicts was CanJam London.

Aug 23, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #147 of 234
Hi everyone,
I've been a long time lurker and finally decided to create an account. I'll come to the meet and can bring several cans and amplifying gear.
Correcting me if I'm wrong, but it seems like CAF is geared toward the loudspeaker crowd and head-fi is an afterthought. If I remember correctly people were worried about CanJam London's effect on CAF back in April and yet there was little communication from CAF organizers about it or if they were going to attempt to mitigate it by reaching out to vendors.
I spoke to Woo Audio, early this past week. They had been listed as attending CAF, but were no longer coming because of conflicts. Among the conflicts was CanJam London.

Welcome, good to have another local member joining us. Could you list what you can bring?

Aug 23, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #148 of 234
Welcome, good to have another local member joining us. Could you list what you can bring?

I can bring the following:

Cans
Audio Technica M50x
Audio Technica W1000x Grandioso
Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250 ohm
Beyerdynamic T5p
Beyerdynamic T1
MrSpeakers Alpha Prime
AKG K7XX
Audeze LCD-X

Amp/DAC
Oppo HA-1
Beyerdynamic A200p
Creative Sound Blaster E5
Fiio E11K Kilimanjaro 2

I'm also waiting on Woo's WA7 Fireflies with WA7tp, but I don't think it'll get here in time for the meet.

Aug 23, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #149 of 234

I can bring the following:

Cans
Audio Technica M50x
Audio Technica W1000x Grandioso
Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250 ohm
Beyerdynamic T5p
Beyerdynamic T1
MrSpeakers Alpha Prime
AKG K7XX
Audeze LCD-X

Amp/DAC
Oppo HA-1
Beyerdynamic A200p
Creative Sound Blaster E5
Fiio E11K Kilimanjaro 2

I'm also waiting on Woo's WA7 Fireflies with WA7tp, but I don't think it'll get here in time for the meet.

Very cool collection, indeed. I've never heard MrSpeakers or the K7XX.
Pardon my drool, and welcome 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back